JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well as I said I have a CHL and renewed it in MAY also have had one since 1991 I'm most worried for some reason the dealer entered something wrong in the computer.

I know personally of 2 occasions where background checks went from delayed to denied after more than 3 days.

If the firearm had been released after the 3 days, the Federally Licensed Dealer would potentially be charged with providing a firearm to a prohibited person............

.................then the fun starts.

Y'all are not thinking this through completely.

I know personally of 2 occasions where background checks went from delayed to denied after more than 3 days.

If the firearm had been released after the 3 days, the Federally Licensed Dealer would potentially be charged with providing a firearm to a prohibited person............

.................then the fun starts.

Y'all are not thinking this through completely.

Yep, and this is exactly why no FFL will risk their license to the 3 day rule. None that I know of anyway.

Also makes the newly introduced HB 2543 really pointless IMO.

As stated above, no FFL has to abide by the 3 day rule, and if they don't know you, why would they release before approval. If they do and the BGC is denied, the FFL may be held civilly liable and there's some confusion whether the FFL must retrieve the firearm (not required, but must report to LE). However, my experience was that people that have a long history with their FFL (non corporate type) were usually given leeway, especially during the CHL not tied to the BGC fiasco. This may all be moot if the current proposed legislation passes that eliminates the 3 day Brady provision. Then prepare for indefinite delay with no reason required. Some may want to consider obtaining a FFL01 or FFL07.

Nope.

In the verbiage you quoted & circled above, the key word is "may".

Not "must" or "is required to" etc etc.

So all but 1 FFL I know of WILL NOT, and the one I know of...that was during "normalcy", not thousands in the queue everyday for months.

Bingo. I run an FFL as a side business and there is no way in hell I'd do that for some stranger off the street. Maybe someone super close in relation by blood or marriage, who I had zero doubt is not a prohibited person. But an unknown individual, perhaps even a cretin? Not a chance.

(And before anyone cites The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, keep in mind the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled PLCAA did not protect Remington from civil litigation, and SCOTUS refused to take up the case. No direct bearing, of course, here in the PNW, but I'm not rolling the dice. If some other company wants to, go for it.)

Yep, and this is exactly why no FFL will risk their license to the 3 day rule. None that I know of anyway.

Exactly.

Well as I said I have a CHL and renewed it in MAY also have had one since 1991 I'm most worried for some reason the dealer entered something wrong in the computer.

Did he actually enter your CHL? Probably 95% of BGCs I enter using a CHL go through immediately or take only a few minutes, but you have to enter the CHL not a DL.

Did he actually enter your CHL? Probably 95% of BGCs I enter using a CHL go through immediately or take only a few minutes, but you have to enter the CHL not a DL.
I been wondering all along if this guy is jerking me around the whole rifle sitting there a week before I almost force him to tell me its there makes a guy wonder.

You guys have valid points about the 3 day thing and I have never said I should get the rifle after 3 days. MY beef is that I have a CHL I've had a CHL since 1991 I just renewed my CHL in May I have nothing on my record what so ever to doubt I would pass a BGC. SO WHY is it taking now a full 3 weeks.

When I talk to people that bought after I did and have already received their firearms it just burns my back side.

The three day rule starts once they begin the review. The big backlog to my understanding, are those waiting in line to GET to the review.

Most with a concealed handgun license go straight to the front of the line.

I would go back and politely ask if they entered your CHL or DL. It will say which ID number they used on their status screen. If they didn't use your CHL, ask them to resubmit with your CHL. They should eat the fee for the resubmit if you get instant or < 50.

Edit 1/15 @ noon: Just did a bgc for an individual w/ a CHL, got in as # 8 / 5750, 15 min wait.

Last Edited:
You guys have valid points about the 3 day thing and I have never said I should get the rifle after 3 days. MY beef is that I have a CHL I've had a CHL since 1991 I just renewed my CHL in May I have nothing on my record what so ever to doubt I would pass a BGC. SO WHY is it taking now a full 3 weeks.

When I talk to people that bought after I did and have already received their firearms it just burns my back side.

Did u give them your CHL to put in the computer ??

I bought a Henry survival 22lr from cabelas on the 1st using my CHL I had to wait till the 11th for my background to come back. I didn't really mind it at first, until last week I got my PSA order and I tried to go pick it up with the hopes that my CHL would go through right away. And NOPE. I am still waiting. It's very frustrating.

I bought a Henry survival 22lr from cabelas on the 1st using my CHL I had to wait till the 11th for my background to come back. I didn't really mind it at first, until last week I got my PSA order and I tried to go pick it up with the hopes that my CHL would go through right away. And NOPE. I am still waiting. It's very frustrating.
I even called county and asked to make sure that my name was properly spelled correctly and they notified me that everything was correct and valid.

So as an FFL, from what I was told by my ATF handler is that the 3 days is actually 5. For example, if you submitted your info on Monday, the 3 days starts on Tuesday and would end on Thursday. Then you would be able to get your firearm on Friday assuming the FFL would release it to you. The FFL would not be charged for any crimes that happened as a result of someone getting their firearm unlawfully but the FFL could be sued civilly. That is why FFL's won't do it.

On a side note, people often ask why some people get instant approval whereas other don't. I have been told that if a person includes their SSN and has a unique name with absolutely nothing in their past, they can get instant approval. CHL's don't appear to matter much. I have seen this firsthand.

So as an FFL, from what I was told by my ATF handler is that the 3 days is actually 5. For example, if you submitted your info on Monday, the 3 days starts on Tuesday and would end on Thursday. Then you would be able to get your firearm on Friday assuming the FFL would release it to you. The FFL would not be charged for any crimes that happened as a result of someone getting their firearm unlawfully but the FFL could be sued civilly. That is why FFL's won't do it.

On a side note, people often ask why some people get instant approval whereas other don't. I have been told that if a person includes their SSN and has a unique name with absolutely nothing in their past, they can get instant approval. CHL's don't appear to matter much. I have seen this firsthand.

As I have said I gave the dealer my CHL I wrote my SOcial on the 4473 and I am the only person with my name in the united states I have had a CHL since 1991 and renewed it in May I have absolutely nothing on my record that would throw a flag. And most BGC take less then 15 min as they have a half dozen times in the last few years.

Now what the Dealer put into the computer I have no idea. But if the rifle is not released by Feb 2 when OSP told them they could have this resolved I will be finding out exactly what the dealer put into the computer. Unless of course that info is lost.

There is no calling OSP it just goes to voice mail and with 7 tries I have never gotten a call back.

This past Saturday, I was told 5-6 days wait for BGC, so figured I'd get the process going. Was told the queue was over 6k people according to their computer. I was approved instantly. o_O Go figure.

The three day thing is after OSP runs your background.

Since you are in the que, your background hasn't been ran yet, you are basically in a long line waiting to meet the person that is doing the background check. Once they actually are reviewing your background, they have 30 minutes to come back with one of 3 outcomes (denial, approval, delay) then after 72 hours, the FFL MAY release the firearm to the purchaser.

No FFL that wants to stay in business is going to release it, until they can confirm an approval.

But the best part of OSP, is that they can approve a background check, then change the outcome. And OSP created an ORS ruling that says they are not held liable for that change in outcome.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top