Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Background check wait period for first time rifle buyer

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by sowatnao, Jun 23, 2011.

1. sowatnao

sowatnao seattle Member

i bought a rifle but after i paid and he did some phone calls, the clerk said he can't release the gun to me yet because they need some extra days to do my background check. Its been 4days now and i haven't heard a thing.. I thought rifle don't need a mandatory wait time, just some sort of instant background check. So sad they took my money and i came home with no toy :( !

does this sound about right for first time rifle buyers(no cpl either)? should i expect more days of waiting?

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

it is just a waiting game until they get a call back. It is an instant check unless they give you a delay. They should have given them a time frame on the delay. It is up to about 30 days down here. They will call as soon as they get it figured out.

3. Cameron.44

Cameron.44 Eugene Member

My first background check took maybe 20 mins, I don't remember the clerk ever even hanging up the phone with OSP. I kinda thought it was go or no go kind of deal. (with rifles)

4. sowatnao

sowatnao seattle Member

ye i dont really know why its taking forever, its not a handgun and i've never been in jail/court/arrested or whatever that has anything to do with personal records. When they're done with the background check, do they give me a copy of it?

5. Cameron.44

Cameron.44 Eugene Member

I would contact the place you are making the purchase for an update. My bet is something was "lost in translation" haha. Do they have your funds for the rifle?

6. sowatnao

sowatnao seattle Member

i'm gonna be calling them soon to check
    yes the rifle, ammo and cleaning kit are all paid for. They took my money and i walked away with nothing. AHAHA thinking about it now...made me feel like i've been robbed. They said they can't release the ammo either until the background check's done?

7. Cameron.44

Cameron.44 Eugene Member

You received at least receipt I hope? I would be calling them now. I would think it would be hard to forget about a rifle, ammo, and a cleaning kit sitting behind the counter with someones name on it. The last handgun my father purchased had a background check that took about 2-3 weeks. 45 days for a rifle seems extremely unusual. However, you are in Washington, I am down in Oregon so it could be a completely different case.

8. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes with rifle or handgun purchace and non of them would take my money until the background check was complete. Maybe Washington is different.

9. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

could be something as simple as your address being off by one number normally takes 5 minutes if there isnt a gun show going on

10. macruls

macruls Snohomish Member

I'm curious, what rifle are you getting? I'm planning of getting one soon as well, my first rifle. I'm thinking of buying it in Oregon but now, with your story, I'm having second thoughts. Don't want to drive home 3 hrs and then drive another 6 hrs (to and from) to get it once background checks are complete. I do have a ccw and chl so background checks for me should not take that long but we'll never know for sure :)

11. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Something might have come up on the background check because you have the same name as someone who is prohibited.

12. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Cancel the order and go somewhere else. If the seller cared he'd be bubbleguming at them to get it done or have a concrete valid reason.

13. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Background check for AMMO???? That doesn't sound right.

Isn't there a time period beyond which the FFL does not have to wait any longer and can proceed with the sale even without an OK on the BG check?

Like this: (166.412)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  14. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

Yes.....I am almost certain that within three days and no response they can legally proceed with the transaction. Company policy may be different but the law if im correct is three days. Someone with more knowledge please chime in.

15. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Now that would help. They do not give dealers any info except delayed. The customer can call a hot line and get info on what is happening.

16. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

If you are delayed on purchasing a firearm, Federal law will allow the dealer to transfer the firearm to you after 3 days. However, if, later the Oregon State Police decide that you should not have the firearm, they can come to your home and confiscate it. And, you will have no recourse to recover the money you spend, as the dealer does not get the firearm back and he won't return the money.

17. sowatnao

sowatnao seattle Member

i got the rifle :D after 5 days of wait lol. i didnt even bother asking why. i just wanted to get the eff out of there hahaha. maybe because i'm not a US citizen?

18. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

WFT?? How the **** did this happen. Please explain how you were able to purchase a firearm through a dealer and not be a citizen of our country?

19. cougfan335

cougfan335 Edgewood, WA New Member

There is a box right on the form for resident aliens. I'm hoping that maybe that is what caused the delay and the FBI had to make another call to the country you were born in. I've had some strange delays purchasing guns and I was born in the US, have a valid CPL (in WA) and haven't committed any crimes, so who knows what goes on.

20. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Don't you just love it when someone asks a question and leaves out a critical piece of information? I guess they just love to waste other people's time.