JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i bought a rifle but after i paid and he did some phone calls, the clerk said he can't release the gun to me yet because they need some extra days to do my background check. Its been 4days now and i haven't heard a thing.. I thought rifle don't need a mandatory wait time, just some sort of instant background check. So sad they took my money and i came home with no toy :( !

does this sound about right for first time rifle buyers(no cpl either)? should i expect more days of waiting?

My first background check took maybe 20 mins, I don't remember the clerk ever even hanging up the phone with OSP. I kinda thought it was go or no go kind of deal. (with rifles)

ye i dont really know why its taking forever, its not a handgun and i've never been in jail/court/arrested or whatever that has anything to do with personal records. When they're done with the background check, do they give me a copy of it?

I would contact the place you are making the purchase for an update. My bet is something was "lost in translation" haha. Do they have your funds for the rifle?

i'm gonna be calling them soon to check
yes the rifle, ammo and cleaning kit are all paid for. They took my money and i walked away with nothing. AHAHA thinking about it now...made me feel like i've been robbed. They said they can't release the ammo either until the background check's done?

You received at least receipt I hope? I would be calling them now. I would think it would be hard to forget about a rifle, ammo, and a cleaning kit sitting behind the counter with someones name on it. The last handgun my father purchased had a background check that took about 2-3 weeks. 45 days for a rifle seems extremely unusual. However, you are in Washington, I am down in Oregon so it could be a completely different case.

i'm gonna be calling them soon to check
yes the rifle, ammo and cleaning kit are all paid for. They took my money and i walked away with nothing. AHAHA thinking about it now...made me feel like i've been robbed. They said they can't release the ammo either until the background check's done?

I'm curious, what rifle are you getting? I'm planning of getting one soon as well, my first rifle. I'm thinking of buying it in Oregon but now, with your story, I'm having second thoughts. Don't want to drive home 3 hrs and then drive another 6 hrs (to and from) to get it once background checks are complete. I do have a ccw and chl so background checks for me should not take that long but we'll never know for sure :)

Background check for AMMO???? That doesn't sound right.

Isn't there a time period beyond which the FFL does not have to wait any longer and can proceed with the sale even without an OK on the BG check?

Like this: (166.412)
(c) If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of this subsection before the close of the gun dealer's next business day following the request by the dealer for a criminal history record check, the dealer may deliver the handgun to the purchaser.

Last Edited:
Yes.....I am almost certain that within three days and no response they can legally proceed with the transaction. Company policy may be different but the law if im correct is three days. Someone with more knowledge please chime in.

Yes.....I am almost certain that within three days and no response they can legally proceed with the transaction. Company policy may be different but the law if im correct is three days. Someone with more knowledge please chime in.

If you are delayed on purchasing a firearm, Federal law will allow the dealer to transfer the firearm to you after 3 days. However, if, later the Oregon State Police decide that you should not have the firearm, they can come to your home and confiscate it. And, you will have no recourse to recover the money you spend, as the dealer does not get the firearm back and he won't return the money.

i got the rifle :D after 5 days of wait lol. i didnt even bother asking why. i just wanted to get the eff out of there hahaha. maybe because i'm not a US citizen?

i got the rifle :D after 5 days of wait lol. i didnt even bother asking why. i just wanted to get the eff out of there hahaha. maybe because i'm not a US citizen?

WFT?? How the **** did this happen. Please explain how you were able to purchase a firearm through a dealer and not be a citizen of our country?

There is a box right on the form for resident aliens. I'm hoping that maybe that is what caused the delay and the FBI had to make another call to the country you were born in. I've had some strange delays purchasing guns and I was born in the US, have a valid CPL (in WA) and haven't committed any crimes, so who knows what goes on.

I don't do business with places that make me pay for a weapon then do a background check. If they can't run the check first, they don't get my money as I refuse to be held hostage by them.

Guys, legal resident aliens have the same civil rights (except for voting!) that the rest of us do, up to and including purchasing firearms....What's the big deal? It shouldn't have been held up for that any more than for one of us...probably won't be the next time....now that there is a record of it and all.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top