JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, here's another national poll.

New poll: More people trust Republicans than Obama on guns

A new poll by Quinnipiac University shows that slightly more Americans trust Congressional Republicans on gun policy than they do President Barack Obama, while overall support for stricter gun laws has slipped a bit.

<broken link removed>

The NWF member poll would only be that...a poll of our members. Not very scientific at all if you're trying to gauge a cross-section of Americana. And since not every gun owner in the Northwest is on this forum, you probably couldn't get away with claiming it represents the views of Northwest gun owners, only the forum members...and then not all forum members would respond, either, thus skewing the results even more.

I'm not saying it's a dumb idea, but it would not be representative of anything beyond the confines of this forum

I'm not saying it's a dumb idea, but it would not be representative of anything beyond the confines of this forum

But is this forum not a good crosssection of NW gun owners? There are LGC members as well as the far right represented.

I think its 41 against 2 for so far.

I think the question regarding background check polls still revolves around, not just the sample and where it was taken, but the actual question asked and the knowledge base of the people responding. First, I do not like any kind of background check system. I simply do not trust the Government to keep their word and not maintain a record. Second, I can see if there was a phone number one could call to validate a buyer was qualified to purchase firearm there could be value. I think that's what some people perceive or as an alternative believe you could just go to a police station or FFL and do the same thing. They don't realize there would be a fee, sales tax and a record kept. Now the anti-gunners who say yes on a poll want a high fee, heavy tax and complete records kept forever. I just wonder why pro-gun people keep inferring (my understanding) the polls justify we need to do something and background checks seem the easiest.

I agree, while the numbers may in fact be close to accurate the questions themselves are usually loaded to fall one way or the other. I personally support checks that will help keep guns from criminals as long as they are done in a manner that does not prejudice gun owners. My suggestion, and I don't think it would cost much to implement when compared to what they are trying to do, would be to have a notation on every state issued ID that indicates illegibility to own a firearm. This should be all that is required to buy and carry (concealed or open) from both private and dealers. Our current system creates a defacto registration system, a mandatory waiting period, and adds an extra burden to those that purchase firearms. All of these reduce and infringe on our rights which are guaranteed by our second amendment. I realize this would make discrimination against those inelligible more prevalent but is that really a bad thing?

206thsense,

Excellent suggestions! Post them on the site!

Hrmmm... "Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility", eh? And how many members of this group actually own guns?

Want to promote responsibility? How putting money toward free firearms safety classes for newbies, more low-cost public ranges with safety staff, or heck, even money for school programs that teach kids basic gun safety?

Oh, and good job to the rational, logical guys who have already posted counter-arguments on the group's FB page. NICE!

Lynda Wilson (Clark County Republican Party Chairman) has actually been working on trying to set up free or low cost gun safety classes for all of the new gun owners here. I discussed it with her a few weeks ago during an open carry event we had. If anyone has anything to contribute that would aid her in this quest then either contact her directly or let me know and I'll pass it on to her. She has already done a number of things to restore some of our rights and is very pro gun rights. (She was open carrying herself at the event)

206thsense,

Excellent suggestions! Post them on the site!

Lynda Wilson (Clark County Republican Party Chairman) has actually been working on trying to set up free or low cost gun safety classes for all of the new gun owners here. I discussed it with her a few weeks ago during an open carry event we had. If anyone has anything to contribute that would aid her in this quest then either contact her directly or let me know and I'll pass it on to her. She has already done a number of things to restore some of our rights and is very pro gun rights. (She was open carrying herself at the event)
Well, I'm not any kind of instructor nor am I certified, but I can certainly help out. Guess I should call and find out what is needed.
Our stock broker is NRA certified and will be setting up classes soon so maybe he'd be interested too.

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

I'd be interested in contributing part of my meager retirement income for such a program at the Albany club or in the Willamette Valley where the clubs are open for it.

Just Instructor or also a Counselor? I need to find a counselor willing to certify me as an instructor (preferably as cheaply as possible) as I would like to teach the Basic Pistol Class for no or low cost as part of this. Probably need to cover the cost of insurance but otherwise would do it once a month or so for nothing else. By all means give her a call. If nothing else it would encourage her to move forward to try to make this program a reality.

Well, I'm not any kind of instructor nor am I certified, but I can certainly help out. Guess I should call and find out what is needed.
Our stock broker is NRA certified and will be setting up classes soon so maybe he'd be interested too.

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR