JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As new background check numbers for February became available, suggesting a continuing national surge in gun sales, the newly-created Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR) – a Seattle-based gun control group – launched its Facebook page and gun rights activists quickly jammed its message board.

<broken link removed>

Looks like momentum is on our side..but....;)

If 10% of the general public is for gun control they would call it a "landslide" for gun control and ignore the other 90% against.

There is much credence to what you say. But don't kid yourself. A majority favor some sort of check, including gun owners.

It's gun bans and more general gun control measures the public doesn't like

There is much credence to what you say. But don't kid yourself. A majority favor some sort of check, including gun owners.

It's gun bans and more general gun control measures the public doesn't like

Strange, none of the gun owners I know are for any more background checks than what we now have and most are for less.

As new background check numbers for February became available, suggesting a continuing national surge in gun sales, the newly-created Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR) – a Seattle-based gun control group – launched its Facebook page and gun rights activists quickly jammed its message board.

<broken link removed>

Looks like momentum is on our side..but....;)

Hrmmm... "Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility", eh? And how many members of this group actually own guns?

Want to promote responsibility? How putting money toward free firearms safety classes for newbies, more low-cost public ranges with safety staff, or heck, even money for school programs that teach kids basic gun safety?

Oh, and good job to the rational, logical guys who have already posted counter-arguments on the group's FB page. NICE!

Equating 'universal background checks' with 'some sort of check'... Hmmmm. A little like the Sesame Street game 'one of these things is not like the other'.

A majority favor some sort of check, including gun owners.

Where that data can be found would be helpful.

The latest Elway Poll

<broken link removed>

I didnt equate the two, the OP did. Try and keep up:)

So, 412 voters were polled for this? That's not a very significant number IMHO!

Actually, Elway is seen as a fairly accurate poll by the people who follow polls. But past polling by Gallup and others comes in right about the same place in support for background checks.
How about a NWFA poll of gun owners?

Slimer...now THAT would be a biased poll with very little if any credibility beyond the confines of this forum. We can entertain each other all we want, but major public opinion surveys go the other way.

Cherry picking?

There's no evidence of that. From all indications, this was a random sampling poll. Genuine pollsters are pretty scrupulous about how they conduct a poll because that's how they maintain credibility, and how they get more clients.

I'd be far less inclined to believe a poll done by Mayors Against Illegal Guns or the NRA.

The best polling is done by independent professional pollsters and even then there's a degree of doubt among certain groups.

Equating 'universal background checks' with 'some sort of check'... Hmmmm. A little like the Sesame Street game 'one of these things is not like the other'.

Well, no, that's not what I was suggesting at all. If you look at polling data (pick any of them, check on Google for Rasmussen, Gallup, whomever) it's been pretty consistent that background checks are favored by more people that opposed.

But the level of checking is where one might see some fall-off.

For example, say I ran a poll asking "Do you support background checks for all firearms transactions, including gun shows?" you would get a certain level of support, let's say 67-70%

However, if the question was framed, "Do you support background checks for all firearm transactions that requires record-keeping by the seller, even if he is a private person?" you might get a different level of support, say 50-55% because to a lot of people would look at that and see "gun registration!"

Of course, these are hypotheticals, but the bottom line is that in one form or another, background checks seem to consistently get the nod from the general public. That's why I said "in one form or another."

Maybe someone here can answer this:

Some anti-gun nuts say that a poll was conducted that showed 74% of NRA members wanted more background checks. Does anyone know if a poll like that was actually conducted and by who?

Slimer...now THAT would be a biased poll with very little if any credibility beyond the confines of this forum. We can entertain each other all we want, but major public opinion surveys go the other way.

How is it biased? I keep getting told that "most" gun owners and NRA members support UBC's and simply do not believe it. Are we not a bunch of gun owners?

You could make the argument that NWFA members are more extreme than your average gun owner simply because they are on here but I know lots of family and friends who own a gun for agricultural or hunting reasons and rarely shoot recreationaly and not one support ANY further GC in any form. I would expect this to be the case in most of the remaining freeish areas of the US, so i grow tired of the media telling me constantly how I should support UBC's because nearly all gun owners support them.

I also grow tired of the little by little erosion of our rights. The antis should go for what they want...confiscation and until then leave me be.

I think the question regarding background check polls still revolves around, not just the sample and where it was taken, but the actual question asked and the knowledge base of the people responding. First, I do not like any kind of background check system. I simply do not trust the Government to keep their word and not maintain a record. Second, I can see if there was a phone number one could call to validate a buyer was qualified to purchase firearm there could be value. I think that's what some people perceive or as an alternative believe you could just go to a police station or FFL and do the same thing. They don't realize there would be a fee, sales tax and a record kept. Now the anti-gunners who say yes on a poll want a high fee, heavy tax and complete records kept forever. I just wonder why pro-gun people keep inferring (my understanding) the polls justify we need to do something and background checks seem the easiest.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top