JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you think of a site/phone number for civilians to check eligibility?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there should be a number to call to find out if the person is a criminal, but no mention of any gun sales. I simply wanna know if the person is wanted or a killer.... etc. I don't want the person providing me with the info to know if Joe Tactical is interested in buying a gun. This way if someone wants to check on their kid's new boyfriend or girlfriend... they can call that number too lol.

I still go back to, how do you prove that you have the permission of the person you are inquiring about?

And if that is settled, who pays for this service?

And if the fee is more than $20-$25, why not just use a FFL to do the transfer...

Nowhere in my post did I mention that I suggest this be mandatory or a law, just an option available to civilians to verify that they weren't selling the firearm to someone that was ineligible to own a firearm. Even my last statement makes it clear that I am also against any further restrictions...

First of all I want to propose a question, Cant a civilian already do a criminal background check on another civilian through certain websites that you have to pay a fee to use? (like the one advertised on TV)

Second I think options are always a good thing, no matter your personal opinion on it it would be nice to have the option to use this type of service if they kept the fees down to around $5. As a buyer I would be willing to pay an extra $5 to have the seller feel comfortable, and as a seller I would be willing to knock off the $5 as well

However as someone mentioned above I don't think you should have to mention anything about a firearm at all, you should simply be able to call a phone # up and give someones full name and birth date (this wont lead to identity theft with just these two pieces of info) and have them tell you if they have been convicted of any felonies or not.

Personally I will not transfer a firearm to someone who isn't willing to show me their ID. I like to use the form below(presented in link form) to transfer all firearms it is a great way to have a personal record for myself and the person buying the firearm. If you are not willing to fill it out you don't get my gun simple as that. http://http://www.beararms.com/PDF/FTUP.pdf

Having a CHL (yes people its CHL not CWL or CCW for Oregon, sorry its a pet peeve) is always a plus and may make me dismiss the above form if the gun wasn't originally bought in my name.

Just my opinion Im not trying to say others are wrong

I would be ok if it was required to have a ccw for both parties doing a private sale so long as they kept ccw permits easily obtainable to people without felony convictions. A lot of people already require that for ftf deals.
I do support chl, however I wouldn't buy or sell to an individual if that was one of the requirements. Some folks have personal opinions about chl's and choose NOT to have one. For the most part everyone on here are good people. I do look at feedback scores though!

I agree with the false no. I had a background come back as denied, and a week later the Sheriffs office called back with an approval number for the gun purchase on the same guy.

No one wants a felon having a gun, but who is to stop their friend from buying one and just giving it to them. It's a complicated cycle and in the long run if the wrong changes are made the right to bear arms may be taken away from all of us.

We need to be smart and use good judgement when selling any firearm.

I still go back to, how do you prove that you have the permission of the person you are inquiring about?

And if that is settled, who pays for this service?

And if the fee is more than $20-$25, why not just use a FFL to do the transfer...

I think something like this would be a good start

So one can either pay a small fee every... maybe $5 per call or become a member for like $50 a year (all users of the program get a one time background check done to make sure they are not "bad guys")..... so when you call in about someone, that person can be put in one of maybe 2 categories. 1 being a criminal... felon, registered child molester, under investigation etc. 2 being clear to obtain things such as firearms, legal licenses, port access, no warrants (basically someone who is clean and clear) etc.... my point is if you call about someone, they tell you either that person is level 1 or 2 without sharing personal detail.

So I call in because John Doe wants to buy a gun, they tell me that John is a level 2 and that is all. If I get told John is a level 1, I know something is up and I will refuse sale.

Now it's not a perfect system but it's a decent start if you ask me.

So one can either pay a small fee every... maybe $5 per call or become a member for like $50 a year (all users of the program get a one time background check done to make sure they are not "bad guys")..... so when you call in about someone, that person can be put in one of maybe 2 categories. 1 being a criminal... felon, registered child molester, under investigation etc. 2 being clear to obtain things such as firearms, legal licenses, port access, no warrants (basically someone who is clean and clear) etc.... my point is if you call about someone, they tell you either that person is level 1 or 2 without sharing personal detail.

So I call in because John Doe wants to buy a gun, they tell me that John is a level 2 and that is all. If I get told John is a level 1, I know something is up and I will refuse sale.

If you do not trust me, then don't sell to me. If you suspect everyone that wants to purchase a firearm is automatically a criminal...you have just bought, lock, stock and barrel, the Brady bunch and their stack of lies.

There is a concept...or at least we used to have a concept..of "innocent until proven guilty" No? If you require Joe Citizen to prove to you he is a good guy before you sell to him, you do not believe in that concept. You have bought into everyone is a criminal, unless proven otherwise.

I do not go to WAC gun shows...Why? becasue they also have that "criminal until proven otherwise" mentality. Good Brady argument supporters. Have fun...the law says, ask, not prove you are not a prohibited person, and that the person is a resident of your state ("no knowingly") anything beyond that is self righteous blither.

If you do not trust me, then don't sell to me. If you suspect everyone that wants to purchase a firearm is automatically a criminal...you have just bought, lock, stock and barrel, the Brady bunch and their stack of lies.

There is a concept...or at least we used to have a concept..of "innocent until proven guilty" No? If you require Joe Citizen to prove to you he is a good guy before you sell to him, you do not believe in that concept. You have bought into everyone is a criminal, unless proven otherwise.

I do not go to WAC gun shows...Why? becasue they also have that "criminal until proven otherwise" mentality. Good Brady argument supporters. Have fun...the law says, ask, not prove you are not a prohibited person, and that the person is a resident of your state ("no knowingly") anything beyond that is self righteous blither.

First of all I think the biggest criminals are the government, not all but most. I simply think that it doesn't hurt to have some useful tools for a concerned citizen to use. I personally have sold a few guns in the private market and I would say 80% had their CHL. At anytime if I feel the person is being shady... I will cancel the transaction. I am not the best but I can read body language and I go with my gut feeling. I don't think they should force this plan on all private sales, but again... it would be nice to have the option.

First of all I think the biggest criminals are the government, not all but most. I simply think that it doesn't hurt to have some useful tools for a concerned citizen to use. I personally have sold a few guns in the private market and I would say 80% had their CHL. At anytime if I feel the person is being shady... I will cancel the transaction. I am not the best but I can read body language and I go with my gut feeling. I don't think they should force this plan on all private sales, but again... it would be nice to have the option.

The falicy is: If a person with criminal intent wishes to obtain a weapon, they will have their mother, brother, sister, wife, child, girlfriend...etc...purchase it for them. If they can't or don't want to do that they will steal one, or purchase one on the street.

We all want to do want to do what is right and lawful, but we do not have to buy into the Brady's lies, or infringe on the rights of other citizens in the process.

I'm different, I am a collector so by definition I only buy and never sell. Last (and only) time I sold a gun was pre GCA68....I still miss that little Bearcat...so this whole GCA68 garbage is ust that to me, garbage.

are you talking about buying a service from L E or are you making another hoop for someone to jump through before buying a gun?

another hoop no way buying a service from L E Why not have everyone pay another tax, that way they could raise taxes like everything else that is taxed so they could waste the money on things other than what it was started for. (road tax ect.) i think a tattoo on the forehead for convicted felons would be better that way it would be easier to id the bad guy. I think something like this would be a better start.

are you talking about buying a service from L E or are you making another hoop for someone to jump through before buying a gun?

another hoop no way buying a service from L E Why not have everyone pay another tax, that way they could raise taxes like everything else that is taxed so they could waste the money on things other than what it was started for. (road tax ect.) i think a tattoo on the forehead for convicted felons would be better that way it would be easier to id the bad guy. I think something like this would be a better start.

okanow...you need to read the entire thread because either one is mot what anyone is suggesting

When I go to their show I know I'm buying from or selling to someone that has passed a background check. Exactly why there are so many members of WAC and the isles are so crowded. We don't have to worry about a criminal being allowed to purchase a gun and adding to the "close the gun show loophole" phobia.

Besides, it's crowded enough at the shows as it is. Please stay away, it won't hurt the club at all.

I hope this isn't off topic, but my concern is the more fundamental issue of these violent felons free in society. If someone is that dangerous, I wouldn't trust him with a knife, car, or many other tools that could be used to kill/injure someone. Personally I think there are some crimes that ought to be punished by death.

So while such a system might be nice, I think it's addressing a symptom of the problem and ultimately could infringe on our rights.

Well, I wonder if there were bad guys (Felons) back when the Constitution was drafted? Yes, I believe there were and I believe the founding fathers knew it and still gave us the 2Nd Amendment....UNRESTRICTED!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not trust me, then don't sell to me.

Yes, because trust and a overall "feel" for someone's criminal history can be had in a thirty minute transaction? Please. I'm not talking about selling firearms to coworkers, friends or friends of friends...these are people that you have a couple e-mails sent back and forth or an answer to your add in the Thrify Nickle.

Well, I wonder if there were bad guys (Felons) back when the Constitution was drafted? Yes, I believe there were and I believe the founding fathers knew it and still gave us the 2Nd Amendment....UNRESTRICTED!!!!!!!!!!!

You realized they hanged people back then for stealing cows and horses right? Really the only "felons" with guns were drunken bar brawlers...so your arguement is a little flawed in that sense.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top