JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine recently purchased a stripped AR10 lower. With a Concealed Carry he still has to wait 3 weeks. I've never waited more than 30 minutes for a background check. I told him something didn't seem right but I know another guy now who is also a permit holder who also has to wait 3 weeks. He has bought multiple firearms in the last 2 years without a wait. Is this something to do with a background check on a stripped lower?

The strangest part is every time I've been with a friend who has carry permit, they have been almost 4000 in line and still was done in 30 minutes. I've seen this lots of times. I've never seen a permit holder not leave the store with the firearm and now in a weeks time I know 2 people getting jammed up with permits and both just happened to be buying stripped lowers Coincidences?

The type of firearm shouldn't have anything to do with a BGC going into the queue despite having a CHL, usually it's just the FICS portal software being very inconsistent - even when we select CHL from the ID type menu before submitting it sometimes it just throws the BGC into the back of the queue for whatever reason.

Not being a FICS examiner I can't say with certainty why this happens, but I have seen a few reasons why:
- Since they run a stolen check at the same time as the BGC I had an examiner once tell me that common SN#, ones that have both Os and 0s, and ones matching a SN # on a stolen gun need to have the make, model, type, caliber, and SN # double checked.
- A CHL not being properly updated in a database once it's issued or renewed.
- We recently had one client who had a Multnomah Co. CHL that was expired, due to the Sheriffs being so backlogged they had given her a paper temporary slip saying it was still valid. Despite being valid to carry still the temp slip obviously didn't do anything to help with the database detecting the CHL was still valid so her BGC went into the queue.

The background on my semi automatic magazine fed "assault" anti material rifle took single digit minutes. A firearm is a firearm is a firearm as far as BGC goes. Until you start talking NFA stuff but even then the 4473 is the same. I've bought literally dozens of firearms in the last few years, been in cue once, even at the height of the crazy. I give the majority of credit to my name not being John Smith

The background on my semi automatic magazine fed "assault" anti material rifle took single digit minutes. A firearm is a firearm is a firearm as far as BGC goes. Until you start talking NFA stuff but even then the 4473 is the same. I've bought literally dozens of firearms in the last few years, been in cue once, even at the height of the crazy. I give the majority of credit to my name not being John Smith
That's what I've always believed as well. It just struck me odd the only time I've seen this happen has been in the last week and just happened to both be on stripped lowers

I bought an AK in January, took 4 weeks to take it home ( after filling out the 4473)

Bought a Semi-automatic shotgun last month took 1 day short of 3 weeks.

Both guns were purchased on-line, both were transferred at local FFLs, 2 different shops both in Springfield.

Prior to this year I'd never had to wait either.

And in regards to having a "John Smith" name my last name is Norwegian, I've never met anyone outside of my family with my last name. So I don't really think that factors in.

I bought an AK in January, took 4 weeks to take it home ( after filling out the 4473)

Bought a Semi-automatic shotgun last month took 1 day short of 3 weeks.

Both guns were purchased on-line, both were transferred at local FFLs, 2 different shops both in Springfield.

Prior to this year I'd never had to wait either.

And in regards to having a "John Smith" name my last name is Norwegian, I've never met anyone outside of my family with my last name. So I don't really think that factors in.
Do you have a CHL?

Usually it comes back within an hour. Once I was like #4700 in line. Might just be an happenstance when the ID is entered. I do have a CCL and had to wait almost a week. During that time the store owner had the option of giving me the gun on the 4th day but I was working any5so it didn't matter.

Bought a pistol this morning (have CHL), guy in front of me (no CHL) bought a shotgun, overheard them tell him there were over 4000 on the wait list - it'd be 18 days. Walked out with my purchase less than 20 minutes later - took longer to fill out the form (provide all the information on paper the state already has on file for me :mad:) than the BGC.

With 4000+ in Oregon constantly in the line for background checks since 2020, and the murder rate isn't 100% should be a clue. The overwhelming majority in Oregon are law abiding citizens. If legal gun owners were THE problem...

It's crazy to wait so long. Haven't figured out if it's staffing limitations or designed to discourage people. It also a wonder since computing and communications have advanced so much in the last 2 years. We have a lower tiered worker living in Texas but doing the job every day. I didn't even know he was there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top