Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

background check for private sale

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by eucher, Dec 21, 2012.

1. eucher

eucher prineville New Member

I live in Or, and was wondering if I was to sell a firearm to a private party, is there any way to do a background check? My understanding is that only FFL dealers can use the States check system. Is there someway to make sure I would not be selling to someone who maybe shouldn't (or legally) be allowed to purchase?

2. Tomoizle

Tomoizle Vancouver, Washington, United States Active Member

Having a CPL is a good way to prove that they are allowed to own a gun.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

2 ways to do this.
    1st way, as a private person you can call the state and do a background check as a private person. It is possible, but so few do this many of the people at the 800 number don't know how to handle it.
    2nd way, require an CHL and Oregon Drivers licence. While they both could be fake or both could be invalid in some other way, it does help weed out the people who won't even show up because you require this of the buyer.

4. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

You should be able to call
    FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059

and for the background check they will take your credit card as payment (I've seen something say that before but can't find it at the moment).

mattdomes and (deleted member) like this.
  5. feetchermancj

feetchermancj Central Oregon Member

I understand this but it suck for people like me who are 20 and can't get a CHP yet :(

rur862 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I have a CHL, what are you selling? :)

7. ShootFirst

ShootFirst Southern Oregon Active Member

It is only against the law to knowingly sell a gun to a person whom is a felon.

Do the sniff test, ask the guy do you have a felony.

Say hey I have to ask do you have a felony and are you able to buy guns ?
    If the guy does not pass your smell test, hmms and haas or you feel un easy back away.

I just sold a gun on here not to long ago, thats what I did.

Remember you are the seller and you can always change your mind just like a buyer can until money exchanges hands it is not a done deal. And the best is a CHL, pretty much seals the deal they are not a felon hence the point of a CHL and is why cops may not like that you carry, they know CHL holder are not felons most likely either.

8. eucher

I guess I don't know what a CPL,CHL,CHP or FICS are... I have a Krinkov I'm thinking of putting on the classifieds. I really wanted to make sure to get it to a good home. Thanks for the info..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I have a concealed license pistol permit, which means that the State of Oregon deems me enough of a non-criminal to allow me to carry a loaded concealed pistol. I'm interested in your Krinkov, do you have pictures and a price? A little bit of history?

10. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

FFL dealers can use the States check system

gunnails and (deleted member) like this.
  11. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I thought OR had a number for non-licensees to call outside of gun shows. Not sure if it takes a form.

I'm not sure because I've never considered using it.

12. eucher

I'll be posting pics soon. It's a k-var bulgarian 7.62 with milled arsenal receiver. New, never been fired. Cerikote finnish.922 compliant. Rosewood stock. Faux suppresor(barrel extention). I'm not sure on the price yet. I was kind of hopeing I might get a idea from some of members and posts.

13. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Same number you just identify yourself as a private citizen. And here's the law regarding that:

14. eucher

Thanks Accessbob; That pretty much covers It. I'll copy the number and save for future transactions

15. Denwhit

Denwhit Salem, Or Active Member

I have been buying guns from private individuals and I show them the copies of the form FFL's must fill out from my gun shop purchases and the state approval number. That should prove that I can legally buy guns. But, my CHL is in process and the main reason for me to want that is to show prospective private gun sellers that I'm one of the good guys. Applying for my FFL for the same reason.

16. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

========================================================

this^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are truly concerned you could require the sale to go through a FFL

Me, I use the eyeball test.

17. Denwhit

Denwhit Salem, Or Active Member

I agree with gunnalls. I'm a great judge of character and would not sell to a scumbag without many forms of ID and proof he's a "good guy". But the law is the law.... Oregon does not require any background checks on private transactions which means you can not be held liable if the buyer goes rogue. Use your best judgement!

18. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

sniff test works for me. I am afraid mandatory background checks for private sales are not too far in the future. besides with identity thefts the way they are i wont give that imformation to a private party.