JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Splitting firewood is an excellent way to get excercise and develop a sense of self-reliance, as well as saving money on winter heating costs. But the bending and stooping involved can be very hard on the lower back. The solution to the problem is simple and free. All you need to do is get an old worn-out tire whose inside diameter is slightly smaller than your chopping block. Les Schwab will give these away for free. Set the tire on the block and screw it into the top. When you put a firewood round on the block to be split, the pieces will stay upright inside the tire instead of falling to the ground and requiring you to bend and pick them up. The tire will also protect the handle of your maul from damage if you miss the target. You will want to drill some holes in the bottom of the tire to allow rain water to drain out.

firewood1.jpg

firewood2.jpg

Nawww, you boys are doing it all wrong. You need a log splitter! You just lift the log onto the beam and work the lever! No flying wood(except for the occasional knot that explodes)

Nawww, you boys are doing it all wrong. You need a log splitter! You just lift the log onto the beam and work the lever! No flying wood(except for the occasional knot that explodes)

My dad has one of these and they work great. Definitely the way to go if you're splitting a lot of wood.

In the interest of full disclosure, I need to say that this wasn't "my" idea, I heard about it from someone else and just decided to pass it along.

I have always been a fan of tips and tricks that are simple, cheap and easy. Anybody can come up with a complicated solution to a problem; true genius involves coming up with a simple solution to the problem instead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top