JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All

I had an account here years ago when I lived in Astoria back in early 2008-2013
I have a few questions. More about me.
I Was in The U.S. Coast Guard and got transferred to Comifornia and finally got back to Oregon.
I am now retired out of the service.

About to go to the DMV to get a Oregon License, sure since covid it might be appointment only....

Do I need Oregon License to buy ammo? .... I was at the store and was going to get some more....

Whats the laws or requirements now on private ammo sells in Oregon and or in store?

For private in person firearm purchases the seller only has to run a background check, how long is this taking ?
Would they need an FFL or once background cleared you can sell or buy?
Any new restrictions I should know about since I lived here? A lot better than CA it seems.

Still able to shoot on logging roads with backdrops and cleanup?

Saw that there is now a dealers license on car buying, man back in they day flipping cars in Oregon was the thing.... owell all good things come to an end...

Looking forward to the community.

Hello All

I had an account here years ago when I lived in Astoria back in early 2008-2013
I have a few questions. More about me.
I Was in The U.S. Coast Guard and got transferred to Comifornia and finally got back to Oregon.
I am now retired out of the service.

About to go to the DMV to get a Oregon License, sure since covid it might be appointment only....

Do I need Oregon License to buy ammo? .... I was at the store and was going to get some more....

Whats the laws or requirements now on private ammo sells in Oregon and or in store?

For private in person firearm purchases the seller only has to run a background check, how long is this taking ?
Any new restrictions I should know about since I lived here? A lot better than CA it seems.

Saw that there is now a dealers license on car buying, man back in they day flipping cars in Oregon was the thing.... owell all good things come to an end...

Looking forward to the community.

I know nothing about Oregon, but thank you for your service. Welcome home!

Welcome Aboard. Thank you for your service. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Thank God this isn't California. Go to store, if they have ammo, you ask for your limit of they have one, bring it to the register and hand over your money.

we don't need any laws for free commerce.

Each and every firearm transaction requires FFL to conduct background check with state police.

;). See my post above, Trash No Lands has information on how to use public lands responsibly.

Welcome back to Oregon. Thank you for your service.
1609228822211.png

Thank you for your service and welcome back. Good luck with your ammo search. As far as ammo, it's all open. No background checks and you can buy directly from online retailers. Most semi auto calibers locally in Washington county are slim to none. I have found the outer reaching counties have better pickings, as I travel. Bi-mart has overall been the best retailer I have found so far. I stopped by Cabela's in Tualatin Monday and was pretty shocked that their ammo and gun selection was pretty much zero. They had rearranged their displays to other merchandise.

Actually, outside of Bi-mart or online, the classifieds on this site shows ammo most days, but it seems at the going rate. At least it is not uber inflated yet. Ask around. I was directed to a feed store once that sold ammo. Who knew.

Last Edited:
All your questions have already been answered, BUT when you get your Oregon DL, bring in your DD214 and get your "veteran" designation on it. It's good for "proof of service" to get veteran discounts at vendors if they offer it (I've saved THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS at Lowe's and Home Depot) and other veterans' benefits as well.... like getting you out of the occasional (alleged) "speeding" ticket. :D

:s0155:

I see that you had no choice but to go to CA, thank you for your Service, from one Vet to another.

Not sure why you would want to come back to Oregon, given the political climate in this state. Of course, there is the natural beauty here, lots of opportunities for outdoor activities, and small pockets of like minded folks, such as those you find here.

Welcome back....

It looks like there is no additional fee to add the Vet designation at the DMV, if you get it at the time of issue or renewal. Otherwise you would have to pay a "replacement" fee.

I opted to go through the VA and get a separate card. Very easy to do and no cost for eligible Vets.

Welcome back fellow Coastie!

There are a few of us still here.

- USCG Search and Rescue Aircrewman (last duty station Air Station San Diego 1980, AT2, before the Rescue Swimmer program that was just then being instituted, before the Dolphin which we participated in testing, and before AT and AE rates were combined).

Glad your back. I'm one of the many that have been rescued by the Coast Guard off Depoe Bay in 1967. The more like minded people that come here ( both NW Firearms and Oregon ) the better off we'll all be.

Welcome Aboard. Thank you for your service. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Pretty sure you can still use public land. Am
I wrong?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR