JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a USAF Desert Storm/Shield Vet from the 60th MAW out of DGMC Radiology, Travis AFB.
I am a native Oregonian from Southern Oregon(Rogue River) moved to Memphis after USAF service in '93. Back to Oregon in Oct 2010. Good to be back in the PNW!
I am literally a brand spanking new shooter of the handgun. Just picked up my first handgun and have put about 100rds through it. Bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 Hunter to get me started.
I have been sheltered from handguns all my life, as a result I found I never was comfortable around them. Bought the Ruger to do target shooting with and to overcome that uncomfortable feeling around handguns. It's cheap ammo, good for getting fundamentals down etc... Looking for a carry/defense weapon next. Plan to get some classes under my belt to further bolster comfort level and knowledge of handgun use and responsibility.

What are the thoughts on left eye dominant right hander shooting. Shoot left handed or right?

Welcome on board.

You can teach your right eye to not be lazy and your left eye not to be so dominant. You can also teach yourself to shoot left handed.

Learning to use both left and right side is a plus in competition and combative shooting. For recreational not necessary. There are some really good books, video, etc to help you to improve your shooting, to be safe and become comfortable with firearms.

Welcome!

For the left eye/right hand dominace, I think it really depends upon what you want to do with it. I just happen to be a left handed/right handed person that is left eye dominant. (I do almost everything right handed except eat and write) I shoot right handed, but I have over time learned to use my right eye, because I also shoot rifle right handed. But with a pistol, I am just as good left handed. It took me a while, and a lot of patient instruction, to figure all this out. And after all that, I still can't shoot a rifle left handed well.

Hollis is right, if you learn to use both eyes, it is a major plus.

Welcome home! As I tell my buddy stationed at Fort Bragg, thanks for keeping us safe all these years.

As for eye dominance. My daughter is VERY right handed, but left eye dominant. We are teaching her to shoot right handed, but rifles and bows will be handled left handed, it will be a struggle either way, but it appears this is the best for her.

As for comfort.......I've been around firearms all my life as well. It's only been the last few years that I've become more comfortable with firearms. Daily carry will do that for you. I'm still respectful, just not fearful anymore.

I find that I can obtain my sight picture much faster with a left hand grip. I am able to get sigthed with a right hand grip as well, but not nearly as fast. I will likely train to use both hands and of course I do use both eyes.

I really do not like shooting rifle or bow right handed.

Train to be ambidextrous, Then don't worry about sights. My instructor could talk to me and still group in the ring. Body alignment, Stance and practice. Thank you for your service.
P.S. My mom was a canby girl. RIP MOM.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR