Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Back door to gun control? - Insurance

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

CA dems seek to force state gun owners to buy insurance...

Calif. Law Would Force Gun Owners to Buy Insurance | NBC 7 San Diego

"Democratic lawmakers proposed legislation Tuesday that would require California gun owners to buy liability insurance to cover damages or injuries caused by their weapons.

Similar bills have been introduced in other states after the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. They include Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York."

"He said the proposal is part of an ongoing attempt to "price gun owners out of existence,'' particularly the law-abiding poor who live in crime-ridden areas and need protection the most. Criminals would ignore the law, he said.

2. Viper84

Viper84 Bellingham, WA Member

Criminals would ignore the law? everyone would ignore that law.

3. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Just another law screwing the law abiding gun-owning citizen.

4. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Damage caused by their weapons...

To me that says:

So no matter what safety measures are taken to keep your guns out of criminal hands, they can still be stolen, and if they are used for ill will , the now registered SN can and will be traced back to the owner and that person will be responsible for what the criminal did?

Yeah that sounds reasonable.

5. Simonpie

Simonpie Portland Active Member

This one would be pretty dumb for the anti-gun crowd to enact. Everyone would be required to interact with a private company regarding guns. What would that be? My bet is NRA brokered insurance. Even if the NRA doesn't require membership to get insurance, I bet membership goes from 5% of gun owners to 75%.

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

well since the rate of firearms actually used in crimes that can even be traced to a legal owner how great is the risk/exposure for an insurance company? So how much would the rates be? Granted if they were $20.00 a year per gun thats a lot of money.

7. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

That is an interesting comcept. Anyone ever heard of a gun causing any damage? I haven't.

That is because gun are no different than any other tool, they are inanimate objects that must be acted upon before they can do any work, useful or not.

Another interesting thing...the courts have already said you cannot be sued for the actions of another person.

8. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

And, remember, there's always Obama care. Just raise the rates for gun owners like they've already done for smokers.

9. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I think it's very telling that gunowners aren't charged a higher rate of insurance. Insurance companies aren't stoopid. If you want a trampoline in your yard, you're either paying a higher premium or getting dropped. Pool? Higher premium. Certain dog breeds? Uninsurable. Chainsaw in the house? No higher premium. Guns in the house? No higher premium. If it were a measurable risk, we'd have been paying higher premiums for gun ownership decades ago.

10. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

I left that god forsaken state and don't think I could ever live there again. I don't even want to go back to visit.

In one of the comments someone said " Yes, that will work. Just like the law requiring car owners (drivers) to have insurance. It works so well, that's why I have to carry uninsured motorist coverage ".

^^^ Exactly...

quesodilla and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

same here, man. went down there in august for a funeral. although it was nice seeing my dad and a few other people, i could not wait to drive my *** back to home sweet washington. i've told all of my friends if they want to see me, they need to come up here. the road/flight lines go both ways.

as for the topic, i don't expect people to actually get insurance, if it's passed into law. california is run by dimwits, and it's sad the majority of voters down there are just as stupid.

12. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

Huge numbers of the drivers in CA don't have licenses, insurance or legal immigration status. And the state is broke. Good luck engorcing this, Kalifornia.

13. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South USA Well-Known Member

Insurance= registration of ALL firearms of insuring person , then, when ''they'' want to know who has what, the ATF moves in and takes control of insurance company records. PERFECT!

14. trekkerpaul

trekkerpaul Portland metro Active Member

Being originally from California I can say that it has gone steadily down hill in every way. This is just another attempt, like medical history, for back door gun registration and location. Personally I have gotten rid of all my guns to avoid registration, insurance and uncomfortable questions during doctor visits ;)

15. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

I lost mine in a tragic boating accident, was the craziest thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

16. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

17. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

I'm so confused.......I thought insurance was a tax.......Oh, now I remember......you get taxed if you refuse to buy insurance.