JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Baby Shot and Killed in Walla Walla

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 10:00 AM PDT
Updated: Sep 14, 2010 2:47 PM PDT

WALLA WALLA, Wash.
- A one and a half year old baby was accidentally shot and killed in Walla Walla Monday.

Wallla Walla County Sheriff's Deputies say it happened just after 4:30 PM on Electric Avenue in Walla Walla County where the father, Pavel Khomenko, was working on bee hinves.

The baby, Dmitriy Khomenko was accidentally shot after his 5 year old brother found a .22 caliber rifle in a shed. The toddler picked it up and the weapon discharged, hitting Dmitriy and his mother, Yelena Khomenko. They were rushed to Providence Saint Mary Medical Center. Dmitriy was pronounced dead a short time later. Yelena was treated for a superficial wound to her jaw.

At this time the investigation is continuing however it is believed to be an accidental shooting.

<broken link removed>

Idiots...teach your kids about guns and keep them locked up. ESPECIALLY if you have kids. I get paranoid when kids come over to my house. Even my carry gun gets put away if it's not on my hip.

This is just avoidable crap...then we wonder why some congressman/woman decided to make a law making it mandatory for our guns to be locked up at all times while in the house. It's because stupid people do stupid things...

And no, I'm not FOR our guns being locked up....but I am for stupid people like this being charged with a crime (Negligent Homicide) since this was completely avoidable. Maybe if he had his gun rights taken away, this wouldn't happen again.

.22 in a shed isnt too uncommon for a small town, or a farm, where coyotes can be a problem. I'm more upset that the gun was loaded. Or even worse if the kid knew how to load it but didn't respect it. I wasn't allowed to shoot a gun on my own at 5 but I knew where they where, had shot a .22 with my dads help, and knew they killed things.

Five years old is old enough to know better. I've read A LOT about keeping kids and guns safe in the same house (or on the same property as the case may be) and this incident was just horribly avoidable.

I don't even own a gun but as soon as I became aware of the safety rules for children I made a concerted effort to teach my children. I'm sure that kids as young as two can be taught how to act around firearms and will do as told if the lessons are repeated often enough and with enough emphasis. Teaching them how to be safe around guns should be like holding hands while crossing the street - it's just a given and should become a habit before they are old enough to question the routine.

Five years old is old enough to know better...

Teaching them how to be safe around guns should be like holding hands while crossing the street - it's just a given and should become a habit before they are old enough to question the routine.

They must be taught if there are firearms in the house. One mistake can and often does cost a life. I teach my children there is a time to play and a time to be serious. When ever you touch a gun it is time to be serious! Period!

Very Very sorry for that family!

I was given my first gun, a Winchester .22 rifle for my 5th birthday. My grandpa, who gave it to me, taught me everything there was to know about it, even how to clean it, before I was allowed to shoot it. All of his guns were accessable, and a couple were loaded, but everybody that ever came into his house knew better.

Sad very sad, kids need to be taught about guns and the parents need to be diligent about keeping guns safe and out of the hands of kids. Even when kids are taught about guns there can still be problems so guns need to be kept with the knowledge that kids make mistakes and there are no second chances so don't give them the chance to make mistakes that have such disastrous consistences.

Sad very sad, kids need to be taught about guns and the parents need to be diligent about keeping guns safe and out of the hands of kids. Even when kids are taught about guns there can still be problems so guns need to be kept with the knowledge that kids make mistakes and there are no second chances so don't give them the chance to make mistakes that have such disastrous consistences.

No matter how hard we preach to our kids this is the bottom line. Well said :s0155:

I just heard on the radio that the 3 year old in Battle Ground had gotten the keys to the safe and opened it.

Never underestimate the curiosity of small kids.
I started teaching my 3 year old not to play with guns, but she still doesn't get that they can kill you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top