JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I started my traditional birthday gun shopping today - for myself. Saw a nice SS 4" SP 101 I kind of liked but the grip was too short. Isn't the SP 101 similar to a 'K' frame Smith? Seemed so and I assume larger grips can be had for it. I once had an early Security Six that I KNOW I had larger grips on it. Also there was a nice Hi-Power for sale. Very clean - heck it looked new and unfired with no blue wear but it had the 'Assembled in Portugal' on the frame so that's out!

Well I started my traditional birthday gun shopping today - for myself. Saw a nice SS 4" SP 101 I kind of liked but the grip was too short. Isn't the SP 101 similar to a 'K' frame Smith? Seemed so and I assume larger grips can be had for it. I once had an early Security Six that I KNOW I had larger grips on it. Also there was a nice Hi-Power for sale. Very clean - heck it looked new and unfired with no blue wear but it had the 'Assembled in Portugal' on the frame so that's out!
I changed out the stock grips for a Hogue grip on an SP101 and it made a huge difference. Much more comfortable to shoot, and better looking too.

https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Ruger-SP101-Nylon-Monogrip/dp/B003069D2C

Get yourself a gp100 if you don't need a carry gun;)! Fit my XL hands perfectly.

And happy Birthday!!!:cool:

Yea I kind of liked the SP 101- I already have a GP so I don't know why I am even looking at it but it is nice and trim for carry. I'll have to look at grips first before I even think about it.
GP100.jpg

Yea I kind of liked the SP 101- I already have a GP so I don't know why I am even looking at it but it is nice and trim for carry. I'll have to look at grips first before I even think about it.
View attachment 315928
You see how the grip on your GP keeps your ring finger below the trigger guard instead of directly behind it? That's what the Hogue grip does for the SP, along with lengthening the grip a little. With the stock grips the trigger guard bangs into my finger every time I shoot it, bruising my fragile little hands... Should be more comfortable for bigger hands too.

Really like the SP101. My dad has a GP and an SP but carries the SP mainly. You couldn't go wrong getting one!

Yea maybe a bit odd but I TRY to make my B-Day purchase quick and spontaneous as opposed to my normal, long and drawn out, go look over and over, handle, rationalize, justify etc....

There's nothing wrong with that! Makes it more fun, in a way. I tend to review, rationalize, agonize and then MAYBE pull the trigger.

Really like the SP101. My dad has a GP and an SP but carries the SP mainly. You couldn't go wrong getting one!

I've wanted one since I got a gp100 if that helps any.

Some may like smiths and I'm sure they are great but I've yet to shoot a Ruger I didn't love and they are better priced for my budget.

Yea - I am a Smith fan also - but I am also a dedicated, regular shooter and kind of like the no frills aspects of Rugers as well as the quality. I have also been looking for another small frame wheelgun ever since I gave my Taurus 605 to my daughter. I had REALLY been looking hard for a 3" Mod 36 Smith but I cannot really justify the price for one and the SP really appeals to me with its 4.2" barrel and the fiber optic sight - and the ability to handle +P ammo as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top