JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm headed to GA over the summer, Savannah area to be more precise. I thought my OR CHL was recognized in GA but USCCA's reciprocity map says otherwise (USACarry's map says I'm GTG... hmmm...)
I skipped over the UT nonresident permitting process because I really only needed WA to keep me legal in my PNW operating area and also VA (where my family lives), plus it was stupid-simple to get.
Anyway, UT opens up GA, but AZ includes SC... anyone have experience w AZ's nonresident permitting process?
Got a recommendation for a UT course that isn't a rip-off? I'm located in SE PDX, almost Gresham, extra points awarded for not making me drive too far :s0155:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but a search for "Utah ccw permit" only got two(!) hits... maybe I did it wrong... ?

Typed in Utah permit, this came up. Hope it helps.
Washingtion Resident, Utah non-resident CHL question
The question posed in the OP was a little odd, but I'm looking at all angles right now so all info is good info.

I'm not looking to collect permits, just a guy looking for the most bang for the buck. UT seems to be the most useful, I could drop my WA CPL when it expires. But the AZ permit unlocks SC which I only really care about because they're almost as rigid and useless as OR... there's a small streak of defiance (aka: FU) in me that makes me want it.

Hmmm...good to know about AZ unlocking SC! Thanks, we'll look further into that!

Used to be only "real SC property" owners could apply for an out of state SC.

Thanks!
Wellll.... not so fast.

I just looked at yet another website that says it doesn't.

Geez, this is tiresome. If AZ doesn't actually open up SC then there's no reason to pursue it. Might as well go w the more common UT permit and let WA drop off.

I carry Oregon resident, Utah and Arizona non-resident. Arizona is fingerprint card/application/money. It doesn't
have your picture--so you don't have to send pics for renewal like Utah. IIRC it took a couple of months
to process.

South Carolina---here is a clip from the state website. The way I read it the reciprocal permit needs to be a resident
permit?

RECIPROCITY

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho (Enhanced Only), Kansas,Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi(Enhanced Only), Missouri,Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota(Enhanced Only), Ohio,Oklahoma, South Dakota (Enhanced Only), Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia(21 years of age and older) and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law.

Mind sharing where and how much the class was? I have my Oregon and looking into just a Utah class so I can carry in Washington when visiting family. I think arpc does them but not sure. I'll have to look into that...

The class is $100. It's the same class required for Oregon, $80 for Oregon and an additional $20 for Utah. They supply the Utah application and finger print card. I'm going to the Linn County Sheriff's Office today to have my finger prints taken and I got the passport size picture taken at Costco for $5. The guy's that work there are all former military. The class is 5 hrs and flys by.

The class is $100. It's the same class required for Oregon, $80 for Oregon and an additional $20 for Utah. They supply the Utah application and finger print card. I'm going to the Linn County Sheriff's Office today to have my finger prints taken and I got the passport size picture taken at Costco for $5. The guy's that work there are all former military. The class is 5 hrs and flys by.

Did you get it done at arpc? I dont need Oregon, I already have it. I'm just looking for a Utah class by itself.

I requested an application from AZ yesterday and got this email today...
An application packet(s) will be mailed to you and contains a two-sided application, 2 fingerprint cards (both are required forall applicants) and instructions with an envelope for return mailing. In addition to the supplied materials, you will need a copy of your proof of firearms training and a $60 money order or cashier's check made out to AZDPS (Personal checks and cash are not accepted). *Please be aware that it may take up to 75 days to process the application once it is received in our office.

Is my training cert for my OR CHL sufficient or do they require something more?

Yes, I'm being a bit lazy, I should probably look it up for myself. But since you've already been through it...

I did see on the AZ DPS website that they'd accept a DD214... I've got one of those. Some states require it to include weapons training, wondering if AZ is one of those. It's fairly common knowledge that all Marines are trained on and qualify with the M16, even pogues and REMFs. In most grunt battalions (that I know of) the Headquarters platoons even fam-fire handguns and shotguns... the Marine Corps doesn't list all of those "accomplishments" on your DD214 (or give you a ribbon, a medal, or a badge). Mine simply states my MOS as 0351 Anti-Tank Assault and says that I was honorably discharged, dates, rank, etc. As an enlisted man I never had to qualify with the 1911 or M9... also not the M60, Mk19, M203, SAW, M870, 60 or 81mm mortar, 20mm chain-gun, C4, det cord, or other explosives, mines, grenades, not to mention the shoulder-fired LAAW rockets and Dragon missiles: all equally absent on my DD214... I'm sure it's in a file somewhere :s0048:

For some reason I thought the reason to get the AZ permit in addition to your Utah permit for us western states residents was that it added in NM. I think most Utah permit classes will also send in your AZ application at the same time, at least mine did.

Edit: Checked the Utah .gov site for reciprocity states, and SC is definitely not one of them

Last Edited:
I requested an application from AZ yesterday and got this email today...
An application packet(s) will be mailed to you and contains a two-sided application, 2 fingerprint cards (both are required forall applicants) and instructions with an envelope for return mailing. In addition to the supplied materials, you will need a copy of your proof of firearms training and a $60 money order or cashier's check made out to AZDPS (Personal checks and cash are not accepted). *Please be aware that it may take up to 75 days to process the application once it is received in our office.

Is my training cert for my OR CHL sufficient or do they require something more?

Yes, I'm being a bit lazy, I should probably look it up for myself. But since you've already been through it...

I did see on the AZ DPS website that they'd accept a DD214... I've got one of those. Some states require it to include weapons training, wondering if AZ is one of those. It's fairly common knowledge that all Marines are trained on and qualify with the M16, even pogues and REMFs. In most grunt battalions (that I know of) the Headquarters platoons even fam-fire handguns and shotguns... the Marine Corps doesn't list all of those "accomplishments" on your DD214 (or give you a ribbon, a medal, or a badge). Mine simply states my MOS as 0351 Anti-Tank Assault and says that I was honorably discharged, dates, rank, etc. As an enlisted man I never had to qualify with the 1911 or M9... also not the M60, Mk19, M203, SAW, M870, 60 or 81mm mortar, 20mm chain-gun, C4, det cord, or other explosives, mines, grenades, not to mention the shoulder-fired LAAW rockets and Dragon missiles: all equally absent on my DD214... I'm sure it's in a file somewhere :s0048:

FYI- concerning your DD214, it has to show "pistol" (etc) in the quals box, or if you still have your 201 file and have ANY sort of sidearm training block in all those stacks of paper, even from basic training... that'll do, for Oregon. I can't speak as to the other states ATM.

FYI- concerning your DD214, it has to show "pistol" (etc) in the quals box, or if you still have your 201 file and have ANY sort of sidearm training block in all those stacks of paper, even from basic training... that'll do, for Oregon. I can't speak as to the other states ATM.
Linn county doesnt care if it shows pistol or not.

IIRC, the AZ permit allows for every state AZ to GA in a straight line across the bottom. Allows for NV, too which I found really useful a year ago

I just got my AZ permit. It's relatively easy. You can jump on line to the AZ DPS site and there's a link in the sidebar to request an application. Ask for two in case you screw one up.

The fee was $60. You'll need a set of finger prints (Cost me $30) and a class that demonstrates firearms proficiency. Pretty much any legit class will do. If you had to take a class for your Oregon permit, that likely counts (double check their site) and you can simply send in a copy of your OR permit as proof of the class.

Once I sent my application off I had the permit back in a week and a half.

Good luck!

just learned today there's no way to legally CC in Colorado if a Oregon resident.

Yes, you can. But you have to do it within your vehicle or when hunting. No permit required to CC in a vehicle or when hunting. Don't quote me on that, but that's what it says. I'm sure you can keep it in the glove box in a vehicle, not sure about on your body. I'm not sure on the hunting provision, but why not - you probably have a long gun any way!

Colorado Concealed Carry Gun Laws | USCCA CCW Reciprocity Map

Colorado Revised Statutes Title 18. Criminal Code § 18-12-204 | FindLaw

Colorado is one of our nicest states, but it is being ruined by libs just like all the others.

I just got my AZ permit. It's relatively easy. You can jump on line to the AZ DPS site and there's a link in the sidebar to request an application. Ask for two in case you screw one up.

The fee was $60. You'll need a set of finger prints (Cost me $30) and a class that demonstrates firearms proficiency. Pretty much any legit class will do. If you had to take a class for your Oregon permit, that likely counts (double check their site) and you can simply send in a copy of your OR permit as proof of the class.
Funny.... I requested (a couple of days ago... I know mysef) two for exactly that reason.

OR doesn't require any live fire testing, just the ability to sit through a class. My nonresident WA CPL only required me to fill out a form.

It's not like I fear a proficiency test or anything, I'd confidently charge forward... I'm not a great shot but I'm at least proficient. But those things come w a price tag and scheduling challenges that could get sticky for me.

I've got some time, the trip is in late August. But I think I'd better get a move on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top