Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Awesome thunder and lightning in Hillsboro!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cougfan2, May 25, 2012.

1. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

There has been some great thunder and lightning in the Hillsboro area for the last few minutes.

I LOVE IT!!!

I grew up in Kansas and one of the things I miss most is the powerful thunder storms they have back there.

Looking at the sky right now, if I were back in Kansas I would be headed for the basement...............after I spotted the funnel cloud.

Glockman19 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

I was seeing/hearing it too about an hour ago in Vancouver!

I remember seeing some amazing lightning storms in The Dalles in the gorge. All of the lightning ran horizontally across the sky. It w as amazing. Strike after strike after strike. Every 2-3 seconds for hours.

3. krivey

krivey mcminnville oregon Active Member

It's just now passing by McMinnville. Looks like it hit Dayton and heading to amity. The wife and I are sitting outside watching.

4. Cougfan2

Rain coming down in sheets now. A little lightning. Angry sky.

5. krivey

krivey mcminnville oregon Active Member

Looking forward to it

6. Wood Worker

Wood Worker Linn County Oregon Active Member

When your done with the really cool storm, please send it down the valley my way. Thanks.

7. Marz

Marz PDX Member

It was quite loud , should be there shortly. :)

8. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

Here in Battle Ground also, almost ALL day! what fun love it!!

9. Cheesemaker

Cheesemaker Tillamook Active Member

On my last break at work, I pointed out the clouds to a co-worker, and said I wanted to be in the valley tonight. :( The clouds were boiling big and tall. That's the one thing I hate about living on the coast. We just don't get the lighting shows like the valley gets. We get a few random hits here and there. But that's it. The best one I ever saw, I was crossing the Ross Island Bridge, and I looked to the south just as I saw a bolt go streaking across the sky. At the very same second, all the lights in Portland went out!!

10. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

11. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

It was pretty cool, but it did freak the cat out considerably. Heavy rain, then hail, then more heavy rain. I mentioned that it looked almost like tornado season.

Though I think the best thunderstorm I watched was a number of years ago on the northern Outer Banks islands in North Carolina, just north of Kitty Hawk. The lightning was so fast and furious that it looked like the red carpet on Oscar night. Even better, it was night.

elsie

12. husker

husker portland Active Member

I had just started to mow the lawn when it hit. Cant stop now. If my neighbours didnt think I was crazy before I am sure they do now.
    Good times. lol

13. Cougfan2

Some pics of the storm!

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1723.jpg

14. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

I'm on the other side of town in Clackamas but yeah, yesterday's storm was great! I grew up in Vietnam so one of the things I miss the most were the monsoons and thunderstorms. We haven't had a good thunderstorm over here in a while, I thoroughly enjoyed it :D