JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sure others have mentioned it before, but check out "The Emberverse" series by S.M. Stirling. First book is "Dies the Fire". It's a futurist apocalypse series set in the Willamette Valley after "high energy" stops working. (Electricity, gunpowder, gasoline.) They never really explain WHY it stops working (isn't important to the plot, so I'm glad they didn't,) but it goes into the societal changes. First book is the immediate aftermath, second and third are 10 years later, a second trilogy covers a generation later.

Very believable set of consequences. First book takes place in 1998 (books were written later - as a companion to a same-world series that takes place in Nantucket which WAS written in 1998, although they are separate enough that no knowledge of the Nantucket trilogy is necessary,) and since it was written later has fun little commentary. (One character out loud "I wonder if these new DVDs would have replaced VHS...")

Gasoline and gunpowder "stop working??"
I'm glad he didn't attempt an explanation, because that'd be cringe-worthy.

Yeah, by not explaining, it avoids that aspect. As with most fantasy/sci-fi, there has to be a certain level of suspension of belief - not even trying to explain makes that item easy. Once you accept that point as just 'part of the story', the rest of it falls right in to place as a great story.

--"This book is so worth your time and money...So this is a must read and share. Better yet buy two, keep one in your collection, and do a friend a solid."--www.bearflagtrading.com

Yeah, by not explaining, it avoids that aspect. As with most fantasy/sci-fi, there has to be a certain level of suspension of belief - not even trying to explain makes that item easy. Once you accept that point as just 'part of the story', the rest of it falls right in to place as a great story.

Wow.... I bet I could get the same effect reading the Obamacare legislation! (Sorry... Couldn't resist!) ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top