Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Awesome new survivalist book set in Portland

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by rwg12, Aug 7, 2012.

1. rwg12

rwg12 Lake Oswego Member

Hey Everyone,

Just picked up and finished this book. It is a very good survivalist book and has a great story. Tactics in it are really solid and if you are a portlander its pretty fun to read about its bleak future. I highly recommend it. You can pick it up on amazon if you are interested. Link below.

Amazon.com: Brushfire Plague (9780615645643): R.P. Ruggiero: Books

2. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Ok, I downloaded it. i'll give my thoughts when i'm finished, hope it's as good as you say.

3. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

I'm sure others have mentioned it before, but check out "The Emberverse" series by S.M. Stirling. First book is "Dies the Fire". It's a futurist apocalypse series set in the Willamette Valley after "high energy" stops working. (Electricity, gunpowder, gasoline.) They never really explain WHY it stops working (isn't important to the plot, so I'm glad they didn't,) but it goes into the societal changes. First book is the immediate aftermath, second and third are 10 years later, a second trilogy covers a generation later.

Very believable set of consequences. First book takes place in 1998 (books were written later - as a companion to a same-world series that takes place in Nantucket which WAS written in 1998, although they are separate enough that no knowledge of the Nantucket trilogy is necessary,) and since it was written later has fun little commentary. (One character out loud "I wonder if these new DVDs would have replaced VHS...")

4. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Gasoline and gunpowder "stop working??"
    I'm glad he didn't attempt an explanation, because that'd be cringe-worthy.

5. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Yeah, by not explaining, it avoids that aspect. As with most fantasy/sci-fi, there has to be a certain level of suspension of belief - not even trying to explain makes that item easy. Once you accept that point as just 'part of the story', the rest of it falls right in to place as a great story.

6. rwg12

rwg12 Lake Oswego Member

So Brush Fire Plague is not a fantasy more of a apoc fiction/prepper fiction. Has anyone else read it, I liked it a lot.

7. rwg12

rwg12 Lake Oswego Member

--"This book is so worth your time and money...So this is a must read and share. Better yet buy two, keep one in your collection, and do a friend a solid."--www.bearflagtrading.com

dave and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Alien space bats did it!

The first 3 books keep the answer fairly of the picture, I didn't read the 2nd set of 3 as they get more fantasy.

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Wow.... I bet I could get the same effect reading the Obamacare legislation! (Sorry... Couldn't resist!) ;)

10. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

11. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

^ I was just about to post that the author is a member of this forum :)
    I read it and liked it a lot. Will be getting the sequel.

Harrytop and (deleted member) like this.
  12. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I'm not knocking your efforts to push the book but there is such a thing as alienating your audience through over-kill

13. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and book #2 is on the way. Great read!