JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got the SnapSafe. It can hold four rifles and probably 20 pistols + misc stuff. It is not really a tough safe, it is a compromise for sure, but just what I needed for a bedroom safe. Bolted down circumvents the fact that two guys could cart it away. If someone had a metal rotary saw they could cut the safe in half, all the way around at their leisure (if they could cart it off). I wasn't looking for Fort Knox, just something better than guns laying around.

It was not so easy to put together as the literature and website say. The GD shelves! I am sure there is some magical trick to it, but the way the show it in the video does not work. You can't get the shelves through the front door. You have to build the safe around the shelves.

Last but not least the safe stinks of glue to high heaven. I have a fan blowing into it and a window open for two days, still stinks. Others complained of this on the web, so I was expecting it.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give it a 7. It does what it is supposed to do.

Update on the SnapSafe. The heavy chemical smell never goes away. I left a fan blowing into it literally for a month. Still there - strong - when the safe is closed then reopened.

Not a huge deal for me because mine is in a big, well ventilated area. For someone putting one in a small bedroom it would be a big deal though.

The smell comes from the fire padding.

It's asking for trouble to store powder and ammunition in a safe though, as you would be creating a bomb.

Can you show any link or any testing evidence to back this up?

Not trying to be argumentative, I'd really like to see any info. If it was true, then wouldn't it follow that every ammo can was a mini bomb? Why would the Army then mfg mini bombs to have directly next to troops in war zones where fire is a real possibility with some of the havoc that can occur.

As far as the safe goes, I have the previous model the same size, wish I just spent more money, got a real good one, a bigger one, and had it professionally delivered and installed. They drop it off at the house. Hunking that thing into the house with the bros was some serious work.

This would be a great time to try Febreze or any of those other sprays that neutralize odors ...

Update on the SnapSafe. The heavy chemical smell never goes away. I left a fan blowing into it literally for a month. Still there - strong - when the safe is closed then reopened.

Not a huge deal for me because mine is in a big, well ventilated area. For someone putting one in a small bedroom it would be a big deal though.

The smell comes from the fire padding.

Can any one recommend brands and stores in the Portland, Oregon area that sell gun safes? Thanks.

Northwest Armory
Coastal
Wilco
Cabelas (springfield) - Liberty
Wholesale Sports - Browning
Fisherman's Marine
Bimart - Sentry
Mountain View Safe Co - Boring (Not a liberty/canon/etc. Imported but less expensive)
Liberty Safe Factory Outlet (hubbard)
Bighorn Safes - Craigslist
Collectors West Gun & Knife Show

I've been to all of them looking at safes, but I'm leaning more towards a liberty with a Cabelas logo on it.

I got my American Security safe from a dealer in southern Oregon a couple years back (I believe it was Rogue Safes in Medford but they have changed product lines it looks like) They were at the sportsman's show and had "free" delivery (not really free but it worked for me!) Heavier than a lot of the others but it was certainly more expensive. I'm happy with it and would do it again, no questions asked.

I own the Canon safe. The Rifle area is tight. 10/22's will be practically touching side by side...also 10/22's are barely tall enough to rest in the rifle stand. One thing mentioned that I do agree with is that the door only opens 90 degrees. it can make it a little hard to access things stored in the bottom right.

When I ordered it from costco, I also ordered the Canon safe dehumidifier rod and an attachment that fits on the door that comes with pistol holsters, so they can hang on the door.

Overall, I am happy with the safe. It was delivered into my garage and placed where I wanted it.

This safe gets terrible reviews for the reliability of the electronic lock - and the total lack of customer service. Go ahead and look up the reviews yourself.

After reading a bunch of rants, I emailed Cannon and was told "We don't make the lock, so we don't warranty it." That my friends, is complete BS. They have no problem with retailing it, but then come up with an excuse to not warranty the only part of the safe that fails. And fail it does - regularly - requiring owners to bring in a locksmith to drill the safe. The lock itself is insignificant in replacement cost compared to the professional service required to get it out of a locked safe.

And then the next email from Cannon claimed that the lock failure rate was "only 1/4%" as if that were a good excuse. The fact is if the failure rate were truly that low, Cannon would have no problem covering it in their warranty.

So that's why this safe is being "dumped" through Costco, probably at close to cost for Cannon. You notice that you never see manual locking safes marked down this much - guess why.

I just hate these kind of companies - this is no way to do business. My take-away is -
- buy a manual locking safe
- don't give Cannon your money.

I think I'll go Liberty for my next safe.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top