JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you worry about buying stolen guns at gun shows or from individuals that advertise guns for sale. I am guessing this has been discussed before but I was not able to find anything searching for "Stolen Guns"

Anyone use sites like stolenweapon.com or hotgunz.com to check?

Never heard of them.. but that's good info.

I have a large list of stolen firearms (over 90) from Lynnwood Gun Shop that one of the dealers sent me for my information. I'll have to see if any of those guns are on those website list.

Any of you worry about buying stolen guns at gun shows or from individuals that advertise guns for sale. I am guessing this has been discussed before but I was not able to find anything searching for "Stolen Guns"

Anyone use sites like stolenweapon.com or hotgunz.com to check?

==========================================

Iffin you buy at a gun show then you have to go through a back ground check on you and the gun you want to purchase, so you can't buy a stolen gun from a gun show.

If you go the private sale route and have a concern you can call the OSP and have them run a check on the guns serial number, takes about 15 minutes.

Iffin you buy at a gun show then you have to go through a back ground check on you and the gun you want to purchase, so you can't buy a stolen gun from a gun show.

Not exactly true!
When you fill out a 4473, and the dealer calls NICS, there is never any info about what your buying or the serial number. Just if it a long gun, hand gun or other. The only one that retains what you buy and it's serial number is the dealer, and your local PD.
JPG

Not exactly true!
When you fill out a 4473, and the dealer calls NICS, there is never any info about what your buying or the serial number. Just if it a long gun, hand gun or other. The only one that retains what you buy and it's serial number is the dealer, and your local PD.
JPG

That may be true in WA, but in Oregon they read the serial number off when they make the phone call.

It would be really interesting to see if those show up as stolen or not, good way to verify if these sites work or not. hotgunz.com is a "user-submitted database" so it would only be on there if the Lynwood Gun Shop reported the stolen items to this site.

Never heard of them.. but that's good info.

I have a large list of stolen firearms (over 90) from Lynnwood Gun Shop that one of the dealers sent me for my information. I'll have to see if any of those guns are on those website list.

I know if it is a FFL dealer they would have to do the background check if they are a private seller there is no background check it's just like doing a ftf deal. I did buy a gun from a non dealer at a gun show in WA recently it was as quick and easy as a ftf, I know some guns show require that you have had a background check or CPL / CCW Permit

If you go the private sale route and have a concern you can call the OSP and have them run a check on the guns serial number, takes about 15 minutes.

I've been burned a few times, and had to turn in stolen weapons (2 out of six that were checked had been reported stolen). If you're lucky, thats the end of it. If you're caught packing a hot weapon, you are probably on your way downtown for a while. Judging solely on your impression of the seller won't get you anywhere, he is probably unaware that the gun he is selling you is hot. There are an awful lot of stolen weapons floating around out there, and F2F cash transactions are risker than you might think. I don't know what the right answer is. There are a few websites where you can register a stolen weapon that can then be checked by the general public. This only works if someone listed it on the website. As far as I know, you have to go through LE to get a good check that the weapon is not in their stolen database. If anyone knows of a way to check anonymously, I'd sure be interested. I'd be happy to turn in anything that checks hot so that it can be returned to its rightful owner, but most of my LE experience has been of the non-chummy variety, so I tend to avoid interaction whenever possible.

in OREGON, in WA we can still buy at a show from a private seller without a background check.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

deen,

I am not trying to be a dickhead, but I have sold HUNDREDS of guns this year, and many more in years past. All the old timers in my shop have NEVER been asked for a serial number EVER from NICS.
I just am trying to give out accurate info to someone who asked. The NICS back ground check is done before the person has the gun.
As I have stated above, the only ones that have the serial number are the FFL holder, and the Police Department in the persons area. Huge cities that have lots of transfers, I doubt have the time to run every gun's serial number through the system.
I am quite sure you heard the FFL holder giving the Nics operator their FFL number.
I don't usually chime in on forums, but in this situation, I am 100% right. I am behind the counter where as you are in front of it.

JPG

If you ask the Sheriff's office over the phone if a gun is stolen. They will tell you bring her down and we will check it. Now guess what happens if it comes back stolen? That is right you got some splanning to do Lucy.

After reading this thread I did some research and in Oregon there is a 1-800 you can call and it takes about 30 seconds over the phone. Not really any work for peace of mind and covering your own butt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top