JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have recommendations for an automotive machine shop anywhere for Portland to Eugene that does quality work and good with communication and timely work? I don't care about paying a little more if I can get my jobs done right and done when they say it will be.
Years ago I used some really good machinists but they have all retired. So far I have not had very good luck with shops. You can get good machinists or timely work but not both.

To my knowledge, the machine shop at the NAPA auto parts store has a pretty good reputation. I personally have not used them other than for motorcycle head/valve work so can't speak to your automotive needs.

Redhead Engines in Silverton is where a lot of the diesel guys take their 6.0L heads and (or) blocks for a going over....
I took some engine work to them a lifetime ago. They were good, but so far away.

Pretty much every shop I've been to afterwards has been disappointing, the last one was a "recommended" shop in Tigard that incorrectly installed some valve guides. It was so obvious, I don't know how they missed it.

-Robert

Don's machine shop in Gresham. My stepdad always used them, never a complaint from him or me. Same owner for 37 years.
Unfortunately, l can't say the same about Don's.
My FE 360 to 390 conversion/build sat for over a year without being touched, the only communication between us was me calling to find out what was going on. Nothing. Nothing was going on.
I supplied a running 360 and the 390 crank... he told me he could get the rods and pistons easily, so l let him source those. Basic machining and bottom-end assembly with a little head work to sweeten the deal (for both of us).
Nothing.

I finally had to sell the truck when l moved east... at a fairly substantial loss. Not to mention the pain of parting with my beloved 76 *sniff*
(Yes, it was even a 4-sp)
20170716_152313_2d463498caff329ccad43669b64d1c37dcbc1fec.jpg 20170716_152422_31197b1ee1ff7489f8ed0b4d52b1430f588dd6ff.jpg
I like Don. He seems like a solid dude. But I can't recommend his shop anymore.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads