JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She's wrong but she lost her kid. I understand her grief
Very true, I couldn't imagine what she's going through. That said, hopefully as the emotion subsides as an adult you'd look at the facts and realize the gun was only the tool used and not the perpetrator...much like we can't blame a fork & spoon for being 30 lbs overweight.

Rrright......because ONLY a politician and/or a liberal knows what's "reasonable and common sense". Afterall, according to some, the 2nd A actually says......

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Aloha, Mark

She is an example of "emotion" over common sense. If some drunk had run her son down she would not be out there screaming to see alcohol outlawed most likely. Even if she did the press would not even show up. Since it was an evil gun, she really probably believes some new law would stop this. You can't reason with that kind of "thinking" .

I had to attend one of my late husband's work Christmas dinners with a woman like this only she had a bit of foam on her mouth like a rabid dog. NO kidding.

SHE HATED GUNS WITH A PASSION! How can you hate an object so much?!

The woman at this dinner was previously divorced, I am not knocking divorced people, had a couple of children, remarried a man who worked with my husband, he was a Marine, and this woman had NO one murdered in her family.

I remember her RED FACE and a bit of foam increasing on her painted lips. She 'made' her husband give up his guns since she did not want them in HER home.

I would not be shocked if they divorced not too long after they got married because what kind of a MAN or WOMAN would put up with that STUFF and agree to get rid of one basic firearm (Or more if they owned them.) for self defense or the RKBA? Especially if they were locked up and away from 'HER' children.

I would not want to date worse off be married to someone who was like that and made such demands on me in anything that I owned or wanted to buy in the future! (I had some man say something to me once about me being very opinionated and too smart for my britches. That he would never marry a type like me. I said that I would never have even dated a man like him! Plus if I did not know something... I would admit it, NOT be afraid to ask and learn something new.)

I did NOT even bring up guns, MY guns or shooting in the beginning... she brought this up out of the blue at an individual table among many tables at this fancy dinner. This was in 2000 or so. Anyway, close to my late husband's cancer discovery and death by a year or so.

Anyway, she said something about guns and that they should be banned like in Aus. Bla and bla. I told her that NOT all guns were banned in Aus. and that some Aus. people could still own x, y and z from what I read. (People were talking about all kinds of subjects.)

Anyway, she went on about people who owned guns were x, y and z. VERY nasty comments without the BLANK word - think of the latest pink hatted men/women right now. Now this woman was pretty on the outside, too much makeup and a foo foo hairdo for my taste, but she was downright UGLY and mean talking on the inside.

Nasty woman who did not know jack squat about statistics, only paid attention to a few news sources, did not bother to read any gun books, did not understand the CONCEPT of self defense for a woman alone or with a family to defend, she had NO clue about disarming people as in WW2 and elsewhere, NO clue what the Second Amendment was or WHY it was put in place, etc. Nasty ignorant woman not just someone with another OPINION.

After she tried to make all gun people into mass murderers, people who thought only a specific way not HER way, she thought that all hunters were Bambi killers, she said that they must all be hillbilly types or x, y and z. Think of all of the buzz words now.

I spoke up and said that she did not know what she was talking about and NOT one of my guns jumped up from a table and murdered someone. I was none of the things that she said and even though I did not hunt/do not hunt that I knew several people who grew up hunting. They liked fresh game meat and they shared their meat with a large family or friends. Plus I told her that hunting had nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

I gave her names and books to look up. I told her that if she ever decided to go to an indoor or outdoor range/club with me just to see some shooting, understand a few guns and perhaps shoot some of my guns that she was welcome. She could bring her husband, I would bring my husband, another Veteran, I would PAY FOR THE AMMO and fee for the indoor range and I could bring a guest for free at my Sportsman's Club - outdoor range.

I tried to be nice and I was VERY CONTROLLED in my tone and answers but as a Newbie in guns during that time frame in shooting and buying my own guns (Late 90's and on)... I was not going to be talked about in a negative light or in some mass DELUSION in her brain. I did not use that last sentence.

Her husband even spoke up about me in a NICE WAY and about gun folks. My late husband took it all in and told the lady that as a Newbie in shooting and buying guns that he was VERY proud of me. He told her that I was a very good shot and if he needed protection that he could count on me.

She asked me how many guns that I owned and I told her 15 guns which was true but that it was really NONE of her business or any other person. She just about had a cardiac arrest and said that NO one NEEDS that many guns. I asked her how many shoes that she owned and no one needs that many shoes but if she or they WANT THEM - more power to them. LOL If she had heard about how many books that I owned... holy moly!

I did not get into all of the specifics about how many rounds that I shot but said it was a lot to HER. I used to plan on 10,000 rounds a year in CF and in RF. More in 22lr though since I watched my budget plus I was dealing with a couple of years out of a plaster cast on my arm - fingers to my shoulder. Plus other issues - nerve damage and a hard landing where my entire body fell and ROLLED into a stone hard driveway. Plus I took a BREAK between shooting my CF guns first and followed up with my RF guns.

Some guys and gals don't believe that but I knew and still KNOW MANY PEOPLE who shoot far MORE than that in one year and some of them shoot alone, compete, teach, and have children too.

Her husband came out to our house alone a few times and my husband had him in the garage too. He showed him my perp paper targets as I called/call them and my improvements over time. Plus he asked to see my now former handguns and I was pleased to show them to him. I only owned 2 lever action rifles in 22lr and 1 semi automatic rifle in 22lr (Marlin take down Papoose with the blue bag,) back east. The rest were in a Glock, Smith and Wesson handguns and Ruger s/a revolvers.

I often wonder if they are still married!

Cate

Last Edited:
I would not be shocked if they divorced not too long after they got married because what kind of a MAN or WOMAN would put up with that STUFF and agree to get rid of one basic firearm (Or more if they owned them.) for self defense or the RKBA? Especially if they were locked up and away from 'HER' children.

Love your ability to tell a story, thanks for sharing that.

When my wife and I were first married 30 years ago, I brought home a pistol and shotgun to protect my family and they were the first two weapons I purchased. My new bride proclaimed she didn't want any guns in the home, needless to say I was a little surprised by that reaction. I told her calmly and firmly that when we got married and had children I bore the responsibility of protecting her and my children and how I decided to protect my family was my concern...she looked at me for about 2 minutes...then said ok. Looking back we often chuckle about that little tiff now.

I had to attend one of my late husband's work Christmas dinners with a woman like this only she had a bit of foam on her mouth like a rabid dog. NO kidding.

SHE HATED GUNS WITH A PASSION! How can you hate an object so much?!

Cate

That's what I mean about "emotion". She was unreachable because she chose to be. Someone like that will never listen to any facts. Best thing you can do with people like that is avoid them.

When my wife and I were first married 30 years ago, I brought home a pistol and shotgun to protect my family and they were the first two weapons I purchased. My new bride proclaimed she didn't want any guns in the home, needless to say I was a little surprised by that reaction. I told her calmly and firmly that when we got married and had children I bore the responsibility of protecting her and my children and how I decided to protect my family was my concern...she looked at me for about 2 minutes...then said ok. Looking back we often chuckle about that little tiff now.

My Wife was not "anti gun" just really saw no use for them. She used to make some noise about how much I was spending on them until one night some kook tried to get in. I was working nights. She called, said Police had been there, VERY fast when she said she was armed. When I got home she had a gun out of course. I never heard any more complaining about the cost either :)

40 Cal S&W handgun .
That he should have never had .
Convicted felon and Six arrest for multiple things.
Including Assult and Domestic violence.
But was still able to buy a gun

At a gun store .
BACKGROUND CHECKS REALLY WORK GREAT.
And it's ILL.

Response time at my former, big brick house on my acre of land in the middle of farm land, in the boonies, in my township, former county and state was 45 MINUTES and that is a fact. Night time - around 1:15 AM from the start of it all if my memory serves me right.

I had the operator call the county sheriff's HQ, there was NO '911' where I lived, it was LONG DISTANCE FOR ME TO CALL THE DEPUTY/SHERIFF, 2 FREAKING telephone companies involved - no kidding in that rural area and a third one close to a city an hour away from my house, and the telephone operator decided to stay on the LINE WITH ME THE ENTIRE TIME and so did the DESK MAN (Sergeant.) or DISPATCH MAN (HQ).

They did not have fancy systems as they do now for 'dispatch' operators or fancy main desk telephone systems in some rural areas from what I have been told. It was more fancy than our township volunteer fire department and emt building though!

I told the deputy aka police to me that I was alone with my German Shepherd dog. (Female and a good protector as all of my former dogs were.) The dog alerted me, I was alone, I was listening to the radio in the den, planned on sleeping in the den since my late husband was not home, Air NG Fighter Wing time not his old USN days or working at his NON .gov job, I told him more plus told him what had happened previously when we were at work in the city - I made an official report, AND I told him that I had my late husband's big handgun.

I always took the handgun out and loaded it when I got home from work and put it on the table in the den close to the couch or my husband's Lazy Boy chair. It was routine for me even if I was NOT a gun person as a young bride or growing up. HE taught me the basics. I understood it, the basics, safety rules, and only shot a few rounds out of it. OLD threads of mine here. I trusted my husband and him getting a gun when we moved back to his home state in the Great Lakes region. He could not have a gun of his own on his ship obviously, we did not have one in VA in the tiny beach cottage - no .gov housing was available for us - Nam era and we did not have a gun in Maryland after he got out of the USN and when my Mom was dying of cancer.

I told the HQ SD man that I would defend myself AND my GS dog IF the two men crossed my threshold and tried to hurt us too! I hear now that you should NOT say that but it was true and I meant it. Two men parked super CLOSE to my garage door, breezeway door and close to the sidewalk to the front door. WHY PULL UP THERE, PARK THERE, TURN OFF THEIR LIGHTS AND SIT IN THE CAR @ 1:15 AM?! PLUS my automatic post lamp which came on when it got dark out - light sensor made me see them, it scared me and I immediately CLOSED THE CURTAINS. (NOT like the activated ones that we had later on IN front of the garage.) I had lifted the curtains in the den on that side of the house which was right by the driveway. I saw them sit there and I did NOT hear them pull IN and all of the way up there until my GS dog went crazy nuts since I had the radio on. I gave a description as best as I could seeing them for such a fleeting time since I got so SCARED that I closed up the curtain! I was NOT GOING OUTSIDE in the dark to confront them or send out my dog. I did have a lit post lamp by the front sidewalk heading to the front door or breezeway, lights on inside of the house, another light by the garage (NOT motion activated like the one later on.) and I could have turned on and BLARED OUT flood lights from all sides of the house too. Each corner on the brick - two on each corner.

I found out that I could be SCARED AT FIRST, I went through what I thought what I should do, grab a gun, it was already loaded, get to the telephone, dial O and wait and wait. Rotary dial - old fashioned telephone. After I got scared, my heart raced, I waited on the line with the 2 of them and for the police/deputy to come, I went through stages, I got cold, sweaty, hot/cold with a big old undershirt to my knees since I did not grab a bathrobe, I grabbed the gun first and went to the telephone second in that order, and my teeth actually chattered - odd for me.

I stayed silent in the house and I had a wall telephone with a super long cord on the kitchen wall. Where it was placed on the wall, I could move about, keep an eye on the back door/breezeway to the garage, I could go into the downstairs bathroom, into the den, but I could not have it reach to the MAIN front door-large main hall that had stairs that led upstairs. Front hall = one door led to the den and 2 big doors led to the living room. The LR was the entire width of the house. The dining room was between the LR and large K. I sure as heck was NOT heading out the front door, out the back door to the breezeway that led to the garage door or outside the 2 doors north/south from the breezeway, down to the full basement or heading upstairs.

I told the HQ man that I had a gun but it was getting heavy for me to keep holding it and besides my hands were shaking for a time frame too. He was like, "Oh, you have a gun or some such thing and wouldn't it be better IF I put it down?" I told him NO that it would not be better since I could not defend myself and MY beloved dog. She was going crazy trying to alert me and running back and forth to the back door and I was making her stay by me which she did do when I was firm with her. Smart, beautiful dog and I barely had to train her since she came from police GS stock. But I am VERY good with most dogs and in training them for friends. Where I went - she went - her body was pressed next to my legs. I told the police that I had a gun that looked like the pretty Dirty Harry gun but it was not that same model or caliber. I told them it was a 357Magnum and that my husband had HP ammo for it. So the HQ man said to me that when the deputy got there that I must put down the gun which seemed STRANGE TO ME at the time since I was the good guy/lady and I had no clue what those trespassers were doing and considering that I had an almost break in to my house in broad daylight PREVIOUSLY while we were working in the city. I said that I would put down the gun when I saw the deputy there to help or protect me.

I learned about stages which I have had in my life but this was a FIRST FOR ME. Fear, shaking, steps to take, take cover if I needed to LOCK MYSELF IN THE DEN or bathroom since we had locks on those doors plus upstairs but I was NOT going upstairs, should I meet the bad guys head on if they come into the house - scare the ! out of them, afraid that they might try to hurt my GS dog and come for me, I had the long telephone cord with a gun in one hand and the telephone in the other hand, I was shaking scared but then I got a really strange sense of CALM in my own way and then I got REALLY angry that I should even have to put up with this crapola alone with my dog, in the wee hours, people who may or may not try to enter my home, etc.

Plus I had signs up posted - PRIVATE PROPERTY - NO TRESPASSING. Yeah, that did a lot of good, eh?! I was in farm/lake country - fly over Great Lakes region.

OUT in Montana, NO kidding you, they (MT people AND transplants!) ignore those signs far MORE that they do in farm/lake country and in some places on the east coast. I know that for a fact. My MT born/raised husband said it is true and so do our rancher friends. I have even POINTED TO THE SIGNS to some idiots out here. NO offense.

Previous story here about the attempted break in before the 1:15 AM deal. The sheriff's department got the bad guy due to my evidence in the breezeway - a MH metal coffee can with clothespins with blood on it SPILLED TO THE FLOOR that I INSISTED that they take with them. Plus blood spatters on the CEILING of the breezeway and all around and other evidence where my GS dog nailed the bad guy's @@@ rather hand/arm for sure and maybe part of his leg (?) as he was fleeing the scene out the north storm door where he kicked it going out after she jumped through a south breezeway window dragging her custom built, HEAVY dog house on a chain since we were going to put up the FENCE that coming weekend.

SIDE NOTE: He, the bad guy, never reported the bites or went for treatment because he would have to EXPLAIN where and why he had a female GS dog bite him in protection of her home.

THIS LOCAL bad man, not some city slicker as some people might want to assume, had a record, how long - I do not know, he scoped out aka cased places when people left in a nice, safe, polite, nothing bad happens here aka farm/lake country. We are in God's country - nice and safe and polite!

YEAH RIGHT! LOL

I did not have that growing up on the East Coast and I had friends who did NOT live in nice places as I did and we did VISIT ONE ANOTHER!

This man hit farms, barns, sheds, brand new built houses LIKE MINE, old houses, etc. HE HID in corn fields while some old farm wife went to town aka a village or some housewife took her kids to wherever and/or did things in broad daylight too. HE KNEW THE PEOPLE'S SCHEDULES just like he knew my late husband's and my work schedule. Creepy! My husband left for work before I did and he came home before I did. Creepy and I should play Twilight Zone music now. To think that you are being watched or your home is being cased. New for me in my 20's for sure.

Back to the 45 minute response time story now.

Anyway, the deputy came to the house after 45 minutes! The HQ man on the telephone told me that he was there in the driveway - pulling in in the DARK-NIGHT TIME with his lights on and I put on my flood lights to SEE him and the car better. I told the man on the telephone that I was going to put on my FLOOD LIGHTS and be sure it was a REAL DEPUTY and once that I saw it was a peace officer, that I would put my gun down on the table and go to the door.

By the time, that I got to the door, it turned out that it was one of the deputies that I knew/met through my late husband. Through the Volunteer FD and they were friends but not as close as some other police friends. The creepy, strange two men left, I did NOT hear them leave, I did not LOOK OUT OF THE CURTAINS after that first look - my observation so they could SEE ME looking at them since I was too much of a chicken - I WAS A CHICKEN! Why they were there - I have NO clue, there were tracks there in the wet stone driveway, Deputy C.F. aka C to me went ALL AROUND THE HOUSE, the garage and he looked at all of the basement windows too. He came in, made his report, my GS dog was not too thrilled but I told her it was OKAY, she settled down but would not leave my side, and before he left I let her out in the breezeway and fenced in back so that she could go tinkle. He waited until I got her back inside for me too.

I have been afraid in my life due to some things but after the one incident while we were at work and coming home... that scene made NO sense to me. (MY dog was checked out by my husband and me PLUS we took her to the vet. SHE was fine and got a treat that night too.) MY dog never did anything weird or destructive and she was NOT AFRAID OF STORMS. There was NO storm in the day time attempted break in. Meaning what my GS dog did and here she had DEFENDED OUR HOUSE and GARAGE by jumping through a window pulling a HEAVY DOG HOUSE ON A CHAIN since we were just getting ready to put the fence up. Her super duper custom house designed by me was by the back of the breezeway - south side so she could come and go, be clean, dry and warm/cool. She almost always stayed in the house with us or played in the fenced yard. But we had not got the fence up and I did not want her cooped up for 6 to 7 hours inside on a nice day. Warm weather.

Anyway... response times - been there - done that. I now understand WHY when the deputies want a person to put a gun down but while I was on the telephone WAITING and when he first said it to me... I was like, yeah, when I actually see someone here who is a good guy to help me and to get the bad guys! It took a few SECONDS for that to click with me - set in MY BRAIN when I was shaking holding a telephone and a gun.

That was in the early 70's.

Bad things and strange things can happen to GOOD PEOPLE in so called perfect little rural areas and villages in FLY OVER country!

A lot of people still do not believe that but it is true NO matter where you live. There are good and bad people all over this country and world.

Sorry for the ramble back and forth and if I repeated myself.

Cate

Last Edited:
PS: I do not know how many deputies worked the night shift during that time frame. Early 70's.

I know that the mainly rural county was large. We had townships and it was spread out for sure.

I do not know if C., the deputy that I knew and ended up being on duty, was on another call or a few of them on the other END of a large county too.

I am grateful for the good men and women that I knew and still know back there. Some of them are obviously retired and some of their children work in the department.

I am grateful for the ones back on the East Coast where I was born and raised and for the ones out here in Montana too.

Cate

My Wife was not "anti gun" just really saw no use for them. She used to make some noise about how much I was spending on them until one night some kook tried to get in. I was working nights. She called, said Police had been there, VERY fast when she said she was armed. When I got home she had a gun out of course. I never heard any more complaining about the cost either :)

Good for your wife and for YOU too. YOU helped her very much from the gitgo.

I was for the RKBA issue even when I did not own a gun of my own. And LONG before I met my husband and had him explain the 'house gun' as I called it to me. During the 70's time frame after we got back to his home state and built the house.

I just considered it, the house gun, a tool as a self defense tool and for the RKBA issue.

It was not until the late 90's and after I saw some things happen more and more in this country where I thought that I should LEARN MORE about firearms that I personally liked and about self defense issues - practice and plinking.

Cate

Good for you and your wife!

You were/are a good husband to her and a good father to your children too.

Cate

Aurora shooter opened fire at termination meeting; one victim was HR intern on first day

Another senseless act of violence in America gun control heaven.

Warning signs missing, several arrests, convictions, and a felon who was able to purchase. When failed his background for a permit to carry, he was still able to keep his gun even though he was a felon.

This wasn't a white christian 2nd A supporter that the media would love to paint as the bad guy. Too bad, another missed OP for the media and gun control crowd to push their agenda.

When I first met my current wife, we shortly after became best hunting and fishing buddies. She had a sporterized M1 carbine with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece in tiger-eye maple. Beautiful wood. A few years later she quit hunting with me after I drug her thru blackberry rambles to get down a hillside near Albany hunting for blacktails. The rifle is still in the family, we handed it down to her son after I bought my first AR. She owns just about half of our handguns as personal weapons. The rest are MINE, all mine!!!

That's what I mean about "emotion". She was unreachable because she chose to be. Someone like that will never listen to any facts. Best thing you can do with people like that is avoid them.

I don't even try anymore. I used to, but those conversations go nowhere, cause me aggravation, and have become a waste of time and effort.

I don't even try anymore. I used to said:
Yep, I will bend over backwards to try with anyone who acts like they really are looking for truth. When they get that foaming at the mouth, looking like they need to be locked in a mental ward I just walk away. To even try to deal with that is a huge waste of time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top