JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cresent lake area on the way down and 97 coming into Bend coming home. You must have been in the nice quiet forrest. Wish we could have made it to meet everyone.

Last Edited:
Was a great time. Really good to meet, work and play with you guys!

I took a few pics but haven't had a chance to see them or post them yet. Might be this evening. We ended up with a full pickup load of trash and the dump charge was only $14! When I pulled in to the disposal sight, the first thing I said was "Guess what we've been doing?". He took one look and knew right away, "Cleaning up the forest. And target shooting sites!". So we talked way too long and cars were starting to line up behind me.

Loved shooting the 45-70 and other tools! It was a real good time!

Thanks all!

Bill

Here's the story line in pics. So sad we didn't get pics with @Greenbug . He had to leave early. So, you'll see four people in these pics but we had five of us all together. I'm always amazed at how much of a difference a few people can make in just a couple hours.

We spent a casual 2 hours and got a full pickup bed from two sites. During that time, we made new friends and contacts. If we had divided up the cost of disposal, it would have only cost $ 2.80 each! At that rate, and all the other benefits of a Random Act of Cleanup, why not do this more often? A lot more often!!!

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 1.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 2.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 3.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 4.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 5.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 6.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 7.jpg

This is why they call it Deer Leg Tree Camp...

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 8.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 9.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 10.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 11.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 12.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 13.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 14.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 15.jpg

8-8-2020 Deer Leg Cleanup 16.jpg

Thank you @RVTECH for prompting this Random Act of Cleanup! Thank you @Greenbug and @oremike for being outstanding stewards of our public lands! And thank you, my friend Steve from La Pine for joining us!

@Joe Link , can these guys get a 'Cleanup Badge'?

For those on Facebook, here's how I described it on the Trash No Land page... Trash No Land La Pine Cleanup

I will also be sending an email to Deschutes Nat Forest about our efforts. They, and ALL forest agencies, need to hear and know of our routine stewardship. They usually only hear complaints about target shooters. I'd like to let them know that shooters are concerned citizens and good stewards of our public lands. So let me know if your, or someone you know, did a cleanup while shooting.

Thanks,
Bill

It's probably better for your camera that you didn't get my picture, some devices simply can not handle that much fat and happy.
It was a good time and we did some good!

It's probably better for your camera that you didn't get my picture, some devices simply can not handle that much fat and happy.
It was a good time and we did some good!
But you were a guy I wanted to get to know better! Wish you could have hung longer. Perhaps next time!

A LEAD ON AMMO... I gotta give an appreciation plug to Mike, @oremike ... He is the owner/operator of "The Proficient Marksman". Mike's business is a specialty ammunition company that hand crafts ammunition to meet specific needs. He strives to make quality ammunition at an affordable cost, specializing in quality target ammunition in pistol calibers. He also does custom loads for other applications and/or less popular calibers.

I met Mike this weekend, the guy in the straw hat pictured above, and he is a great gun enthusiast who loves the value of public land shooting and preservation.

So, if you're looking for ammo, (aren't we all!), send Mike a message. He may be able to help you out!

Alright, I have to ask, what is that canvas tent looking thing? The wife thought the deer legs on the tree thing was creepy. Looked like a great time though.
The canvas looking thing was an old Hide-A-Bed frame. It's been there for a few years. That dispersed camp site is a big group camp area and is always full of a group/family during hunting season. There has been lots of furniture type things brought out there and left "for the next guy" kind of thing! Problem is, "The next guy" didn't take it home for disposal!

Yeah, my wife said the same thing about the Deer Leg Tree... Creepy!

A LEAD ON AMMO... I gotta give an appreciation plug to Mike, @oremike ... He is the owner/operator of "The Proficient Marksman". Mike's business is a specialty ammunition company that hand crafts ammunition to meet specific needs. He strives to make quality ammunition at an affordable cost, specializing in quality target ammunition in pistol calibers. He also does custom loads for other applications and/or less popular calibers.

I met Mike this weekend, the guy in the straw hat pictured above, and he is a great gun enthusiast who loves the value of public land shooting and preservation.

So, if you're looking for ammo, (aren't we all!), send Mike a message. He may be able to help you out!

Thanks Bill, good to meet and work with you. I'm a big fan of citizen stewardship in keeping our woods open so will be doing more with you as time and opportunities arise.

@RVTECH , I've driven by Vandervert Rd a couple times the last few weekends, on my way to Klamath Falls, and I haven't see the turn off! There is a lot of new road construction there and they may have obstructed the roadway to turn in. I've missed it four times now!

I wanted to drive in to see how the shooting sites look and to get an idea if we need to revisit a cleanup this spring.

What's the status?

I'll be by again soon, and often, and will be looking for the appropriate intersection. Any direction?

Note: Mom in the hospital in Klamath. Been going down to visit and to fix up the house for her return home. Several more trips in the plans this winter, but all depends on weather. I could call on the day I'm heading down or on the back way up, and perhaps we could meet there. Also, recent contacts with Deschutes Nat Forest people may mean we do more in your area this next year. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Bill

I could call on the day I'm heading down or on the back way up, and perhaps we could meet there.
Yea do so!

You may have missed the turnoff because it is now the on ramp to the new 4 lane expansion that has been taking place !

The dirt road is still there to the 'Deerleg tree' but it would be easy to miss if you don't drive past it often.

Just remember it is 'Vandervert' road.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads