JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
Reactions
Sat, Aug 24, 2019

Location: Just 5 miles NW of Sisters. From Hwy 20 and N Locust St in Sisters, Drive North on N Locust St (which becomes Camp Polk Rd), Continue North on Camp Polk Rd, Left on Old Wagon Rd, Left on Sage Woods Ln, Right on Tumbleweed, Right on Ponderosa Ln, Right on NF2058, Left at the Y onto NF2059, and left on NF500 to the Zimmerman Pit.
Google Maps: Google Maps
GPS: 44°20'30.0"N 121°34'49.0"W

Join Us as we work together to clean up the Zimmerman Pit of target shooting debris and litter. Help us improve the quality of recreation in the Deschutes National Forest!

Details: 9 AM safety briefing and discussion about current recreation activities, fire prevention measures and safety in recreation.

Included: A Free BBQ Lunch and Free Raffle Prizes for volunteers (12 Noon to 1)!

Bring: A potluck salad or side dish, outdoor clothing, boots, gloves, rakes, magnet & manual pickers and A Stewards Heart! Pickup trucks would be helpful.

After the event, enjoy recreation as you wish in the beautiful Deschutes NF!

All are welcome! Recommend children be of age 12 or older and with adult supervision, as there may be hazardous materials and sharp objects.

Firearm Policy: Handling or use of a firearm during event hours is not allowed at our events and is not an official part of our events. You may recreate as you wish after the event concludes.

Facebook Event page: Central Oregon Cleanup Aug 24, '19

Questions? Email Bill Cogley, Trash No Land, President, at [email protected]

So far, so good on the planning part of this cleanup. Deschutes Nat Forest is providing the dumpter, trash bags & disposal, Les Schwab Tires will take any tires for recycling, Bend Park And Sell is providing lunch, Sportsman's Warehouse is in for some free prizes and Trigger Happy Guns is also donating. There will be more soon!

I got a call from a TNL follower who said he went to the pit for some shooting. Condition is not too bad so cleanup shouldn't take too long. There are a couple other spots, up the road that show shooting evidence and we hope to have enough people to get that too.

I'm getting the word out to Bend, Redmond & Sisters, via emails and messages to OHA Bend & Redmond, COSSA public shooting range and getting some fliers put out. Any recommendations on groups or clubs that could help promote this event?

I'll need a grill master! Who's up for playing cook? We could also use a bigger grill, or 2nd one like my portable Nexgrill. Let me know!

If anyone goes shooting up there soon, send me some pics. The visual would help.

Thanks,

Bill

I could bring my bbq. Are we going to camp somewhere around there?
Camp? Why, of course! I haven't looked for a spot yet, but, there are some really nice places to camp. I love the Camp Sherman area. Got a buddy from Bend who's going to join us.

Your BBQ unit would be great! I may have a 2 burner portable grill by then, but be ready just in case.

Thanks, Rem!

Would love to go, but that is opening day for Archery
Yeah, from mid August on, it's hard to pick a date that doesn't conflict with some kind of hunting season.

Best of luck!... NOT!... I hate saying that because it's not luck, when it comes to Archery. It's skill. So, Best of skill to ya Lad! :)

Sorry that I wont be able to make it. I have hauled a few pickup loads out myself.

I think it's cool to see local businesses step up and offer their support for what we do. Some of them don't even like 'guns in the woods' but still, they like that we represent responsible use of guns and we care about our environment. So even if they don't like our noise, quite often, they are happy to support our efforts.

At this cleanup, we have several sponsors for the free prizes, a lunch sponsor and good 'ol Les Schwab to take the tires. Our prize sponsors are Sportsman's Warehouse, Trigger Happy Guns (Bend), Sisters Meats & Smoke House, and Fishers Fly Place in Sisters. I'm looking for at least one more prize sponsor, so let me know if you have a recommendation (doesn't have to be related to shooting).

Our lunch sponsor, Bend Park and Sell, posted this to our Facebook page today: (the owner, Rodney, is a great supporter of 2A!)

Glad we can help out for such a needed event. We have the right to bare arms but we should clean up after ourselves as well, all gun owners please show your support and respect for our land and rights. Please volunteer, a little help goes a long way.

I appreciate all who can attend and make a showing for support for responsible recreational shooting on public land in Central Oregon. The USFS and local community have high hope that we can make a difference in their community.

Thanks,
Bill

Planning on going, any update on the camping situation, camping on the cleanup site or need to find other spots?
I haven't nailed down a camp site yet. I'll close in on that pretty soon. A friend lives close by and has recently been to the Zimmerman, so, I'll ask him about possibly camping there or close by. Not sure if he will join us, but I do have another friend, from Bend who is planning to camp too.

Thanks for tagging along, Citizen! Great to have you there!

Anyone else, from this forum, post up and cast a Yes vote!

Camp? Why, of course! I haven't looked for a spot yet, but, there are some really nice places to camp. I love the Camp Sherman area. Got a buddy from Bend who's going to join us.

Your BBQ unit would be great! I may have a 2 burner portable grill by then, but be ready just in case.

Thanks, Rem!

I'd love to make this clean up but my daughter is due that weekend and I'm house/pet sitting for her.

BTW, same area, just north of Camp Sherman...could use some attention ;)
Cinder Pit

Last Edited:
Trigger Happy is NOT HAPPY about trash in our forest! They ARE HAPPY that you are volunteering to help clean it up! So, they want to make YOU HAPPY with a chance to WIN A GIFT CERTIFICATE from Trigger Happy Guns!

Be a volunteer in the Deschutes National Forest on Aug 24th at the Zimmerman Pit Stewardship Cleanup near Sisters, and be entered to win a free gift certificate to Trigger Happy Guns, in Bend, Oregon!

Thank you, Trigger Happy Guns, for supporting responsible recreation on our public lands! You make us ALL HAPPY!

2625 NE Butler Market Rd, Ste E
Bend, Oregon
Call (541) 526-0617

Home | Gun Shop | Trigger Happy Guns

Trigger Happy Guns.jpg

This event is coming together real well! Lots of support from community vendors all over Central Oregon, the USFS and even Deschutes Co. Sheriff's office!

I really need local, responsible, shooters to attend. It's how we start to make a difference in recreational shooting on public lands. It's how we save our places to shoot by showing the managing agencies that we care enough to give back and get involved.

Last year, the shooting area at McKenzie pit was closed due to irresponsible shooting (not using backstops, bullets flying off into the wild blue yonder and shooting too close to nearby trails (130 yards away!). The sheriff's dept was called in to help evaluate the shooting area and it was determined to be unsafe, because of how too many people were shooting.

Now, if you look at the map, you'll see the Zimmerman Pit only about 3 1/2 miles to Sisters and less than that to near by residential areas. Then think of how far some bullets can go! People who shoot on public lands really need to be totally aware of using a backstop and give serious consideration as to where the bullet will end.

We can save it if we show up to show we care. If only 5 or 6 of us attend, we won't have much of an impact to the USFS!

Hope you can attend!

Bill

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews