JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to owning a ATV. Fell into a running 83 big red for $100 with trailer.
Now I want to use it to hunt. I am planning to hunt north of Easton for archery elk.
Can I run the ATV in the road and can I run it in the woods? What google has shown is really uninformed

Now I want to use it to hunt. I am planning to hunt north of Easton for archery elk.
Can I run the ATV in the road and can I run it in the woods? What google has shown is really uninformed
In Oregon - you'd need an ATV safety education card
and an Oregon ATV Permit for the vehicle.

No idea about Washington.

@elitejake Following are two good resources to study. You need to make some decisions on how you intend to use the machine. Unfortunately Washington DOL does not make this a common sense issue. I have a small dirt bike I ride on the trails and logging roads in the national forest and keep current "on road" tabs so I can also use it on road.
~Whitney

Thank you for the info.
the best part of that whole thing that sticks me in a grey area is the 4or more wheels. Honda big reds have 3 wheels. Oh well I'll fallow the common sense approach and not tear stuff up any way.

You are allowed to run on all state and national FS roads unless otherwise specified. You need an OHV sticker to use OHV areas. One thing that many folks don't know is that you are required to stay on established trails and roads. "Bushwhacking" is illegal. Stay off paved roads and have a great time. Make sure you have a good spark arrestor as well.

You are allowed to run on all state
When did this change?

It has long been illegal to ride a non-licensed ATV on a HORIZONTALLY numbered STATE road (in Oregon) such as the '44' road along the Deschutes river near where I live and once got a ticket for doing so.

Vertically marked FS roads are OK.

I sold my quad a few years ago due to the increasing legal difficulty of riding them in Oregon.

Last Edited:
I retired from WDFW and ATV's always presented a problem for the enforcement folks. I've been gone for a while, but would suggest that you go to one of the regional office (if you're in Snohomish then yours is in Mill Creek) and talk to them. I've got a CFMOTO ZForce 800 that I use in AZ.

As stated above I think you need a plated vehicle on FS roads. I don't have law to quote but when going into Baker forest there are big signs that say OHVs are illegal on forest roads. :s0092:

[/URL]

It looks like the answer is not as black and white as I originally thought. Each area, in both state and federal lands, have different regulations on ATV use. Some allow them on forest service roads, and some do not.

You'll need to call the governing office of the place your looking to ride on get confirmation.

It looks like the answer is not as black and white as I originally thought. Each area, in both state and federal lands, have different regulations on ATV use. Some allow them on forest service roads, and some do not.
Very true. If I recall it was around 2012 when the Forest Circus made some really dramatic changes in OHV usage rules so I made an appointment with them to sit down in the Bend office to go over it.

After a couple hours I learned very little, was given a stack of very confusion (and somewhat crudely produced) maps of all the NF areas in Oregon and a folding card that covered the 'basic' rules and regs and needed to be carried in the OHV.

I also discovered that opinions varied depending on the FS LEO who I was stopped by when out in the woods - and over the years I had been stopped by enough to know they did not have a 'handle' on the laws either.

I finally sold my quad in 2014 and bought another Jeep. I figured I could go almost anywhere in the in the Jeep I could with the quad, be legal, carry more and more comfortably!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top