JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bottom line... all you Orygunners need to deluge your lawmakers this next season with complaints about THIS LAW, and demand it get changed.... or, some group get together and write a new law, and get it on the ballot for a citizens' initiative. You are all correct.. this is STUPID. IF the real basis for it is not hunting from the moving vehicle, fine... make THAT the law. But to disarm the public when out in the wilds, particularly those who otherwise are licensed to carry concealed weapons, is insane.

The accounts of LEO stopping folk and asking them about their long guns tells me LEO are well aware of this, and are likely LOOKING for opportunities to write on it.
Get the law changed.. and remember, November is coming... work to seat candidates who will THINK, and uphold your rights to keep and bear arms. Clean house, then petition for redress.. change the law, AFTER changing some of the law-changers.

Okay, let me start by saying I have WAY too much time on my hands today :). That and I don't ATV or snowmobile so maybe this is common knowledge in that community.

JC Weaponry has a smokin deal on a silenced sig that was tempting enough for me to research if I (WA resident) could use a silencer in OR.

That took me to a site that had some generic FAQ's that I was browsing and one of them stated that you can't carry a loaded firearm while operating an ATV or snowmobile and CHL holders aren't exempt. That of course got me curious and so I researched that to find:

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors821.html

166.360 defines loaded as:
(3) “Loaded firearm” means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Granted it's a class B traffic violation so BFD but if you flunk the attitude test with an officer he might choose to add that on to the ticket.

Take if for what it's worth.

The WHOLE citation of ORS 821.240 says:

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; exemptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(3) As used in this section, “unloaded” means:

(a) If the firearm is a revolver, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber that is aligned with the hammer of the revolver;

(b) If the firearm is a muzzle-loading firearm, that the firearm is not capped or primed; or

(c) If the firearm is other than a revolver or a muzzle-loading firearm, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber.

(4) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation.

But then section 2 says you can carry loaded if you have a CWP. OF course you could not carry concealed a 26" barreled rifle or muzzle loader. But you could carry concealed a revolver or semi-automatic. And if you want to be on the safe side ... just don't have "one in the pipe" ... That's how I read it. So, even if you have a rifle with a magazine, you can have the magazine loaded, but you should NOT rack one in the chamber.

Just my 2 c ...

I was thinking more along the lines of getting interviewed by a state bull or county sheriff on private timberland.

Well ... be nice and cordial and don't show them the big 44 magnum that you carry concealed... But they should have no business in following you on private timberland without the owner's approval. Unless you are on public land, you do something illegal and they start chasing you while you're still on public land and then you jump onto private land ...

The way I read it, it says as a CHL holder I can carry ANY firearm I choose in a loaded condition on my ATV. I don't see where it is limited to a handgun, or that it need be concealed, just that I have the CHL.

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; exemptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(3) As used in this section, "unloaded" means:
(a) If the firearm is a revolver, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber that is aligned with the hammer of the revolver;
(b) If the firearm is a muzzle-loading firearm, that the firearm is not capped or primed; or
(c) If the firearm is other than a revolver or a muzzle-loading firearm, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber.
(4) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1; 2011 c.662 §6]

You don't have to prove your gun is not loaded just because they ask. They have no probable cause to search your gun to see if it is. Just be polite tell them no it is not loaded and be on your way. I have said no is that it. When they said Yes then I responded " If you have no other questions I will be going then."

Big Nick and Zig Zag, you are correct; that's how the law reads now. If you look at the date on my original post it was 2010 at the time. The law has been changed (last year if memory serves).

Happy armed ATVing

You don't have to prove your gun is not loaded just because they ask. They have no probable cause to search your gun to see if it is. Just be polite tell them no it is not loaded and be on your way. I have said no is that it. When they said Yes then I responded " If you have no other questions I will be going then."

Downside is if they call your bluff you have just given false information to a cop which in most states is a criminal offense. I would try to be polite without giving any info away but if they push it I would say "I have nothing to say and I do not consent to any search"..

so i would be totally legal to have a loaded centerfire rifle on my back while riding my mountain bike to and from my hunting area wich is closed to motorized vehicles? also i do have an oregon chl

(1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

chl is exempt from this law

Downside is if they call your bluff you have just given false information to a cop which in most states is a criminal offense. I would try to be polite without giving any info away but if they push it I would say "I have nothing to say and I do not consent to any search"..

They love when a person uses that line on 'em. Most of the time, the look on the cop's face is priceless.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top