JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with this for kids 15 and younger...

Wow, I can't believe I'm going to have to take a class for something I've been doing for 18 years already...

Wow, I can't believe I'm going to have to take a class for something I've been doing for 18 years already...

Yeah, I recently took the course but I have mixed feelings about it. I have been riding the dunes since the mid 70's and to have to take a course for something that I have been doing responsibly for over 30 years because a few irresponsible people don't have the common sense to keep themselves from improving the gene pool by departing it really rubs me wrong.

But what I HOPE will come of it is that the rangers who patrol the areas where I ride will actually crack down on the drinkers and boneheads who ride around at full speed with no helmets and loud pipes rather than hassling me and my group of kids who are riding leisurely through the worm trails while wearing proper safety gear.

It's happened more than once and it makes a guy lose respect for the job that they have when they seem to only "enforce" the "easy" stuff and not the stuff that REALLY needs to be cracked down on.

Stepping off :s0146:

Boaters had to do the same thing a while back, and I only see this as a good thing. I don't have an atv, but have gone out to the dunes a few times in my truck. It never fails that there is always more than a few dumbasses out there. My cousins ex-husbands brother (follow that?) was killed at sand lake because he was drunk and riding at night with no helmet. Frankly I am somewhat surprised places like Sandlake and the Oregon dunes haven't been completely shut down.

The boater one was the same way at first, for all the people that had been boating forever. I think now you may need to actually take a class to get your license.

It does say that children under 16 will need to take a hands on class, prolly something everyone should do, at least when you first buy your bike/atv.

I am also kinda surprised this doesn't encompass snowmobiles. Granted there are far less, but I would think it would fall under the same requirements.

Well, it came to me as a shock when I learned they had to be licensed(the bike I mean). I was riding back in the mid 70's until about 87- licensing for off road vehicle????:s0112::s0112::s0112: License, we don't need no stinkin' license. Vamenos:s0112::s0112::s0112:

some courses are good and we all could use a refresher as we tend to devlope bad habits over the years. some are junk i remember my first motorcycle course were the insisted the proper place to ride was in the center of the lane(were all the junk collects like nuts and bolts and oil slick) The instructor was irate when told the best place was behind the driver in the car ahead so you were'nt in all that trash and in the rear view mirror of the car ahead and directly in line with the vision of the following car.

I didnt see if it said out of stater's would have to comply does anyone know we were planning a trip to the dunes early spring ???

evans creek 2 (Medium).jpg

I didnt see if it said out of stater's would have to comply does anyone know we were planning a trip to the dunes early spring ???

Yes, out of staters have to pass the course UNLESS their home state has a course similar (WA state doesn't).

Our first trip down is our annual President's weekend, guys only trip, and that is usually the wettest, steepest dune trip of the year!

Now I just need to make sure the kids all take this stupid test and pass it in time for the trip.

And I bet we will STILL see fools riding recklessly fast and not wearing helmets! :s0002:

0093.jpg

Last Edited:
The boater one was the same way at first, for all the people that had been boating forever. I think now you may need to actually take a class to get your license.

I took my boater's course online just two years ago and it was $25.00. l'll be taking the ATV course while it's still free!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top