JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a E Cascade ML Elk tag and can hunt the Metolius and Upper Deschutes units. I emailed the Deschutes National Forest office in Bend requesting information about riding ATV's in the Metolius unit . It's been 10 days and no response. Maybe I can get a map at the Sisters office. I know that roads that are closed are typically marked. I just wanted to see what they had to say. There are maps available in the Heppner unit when we hunt there.
I want to ride to my drop off points because I have a pickup/Camper and trailer that I'd prefer to leave at camp.

It sucks that you haven't gotten a response in a reasonable amount of time, but if you go to the Sisters office I'm sure you can get a map of the open roads. Sometimes you need a map to know the open roads because they are marked no other way. As long as the road is "open" you are ok with your ATV (unless you run into a cop who may harass you for an unlicensed vehicle...). But get on a closed road, which may not be closed to law enforcement, and you'll be in trouble.
Good luck with your hunt.

information about riding ATV's in the Metolius unit .
Put many a mile on my quad in the 139 units. Basic rule - vertically marked numbered road - ok to ride, horizontally marked road, not ok. Closed roads might be marked but not always. An unmarked road may or may not be legal and there are a series of maps you are required to carry which are about as clear as mud. I have spent hours on a desk in the Fort Rock District Office in Bend trying to get clear answers on all of the new 'regulations' but all I come away with is more confusion. My conclusion is it is No 1, either a very poor attempt at developing actual 'regulations' or No 2, purposely made confusing to deter ATV riders from even riding in the areas. If Oregon would pull it head out it would develop a licensing plan for ATVs and give us a similar designation as licensed dirt bikes which CAN in effect ride on any legal road a vehicle can which as it stands is typically ANY numbered road. This is one of the reasons I am selling my quad and buying another Jeep. Almost anything I use my quad for I can do with a Jeep and be street legal.

BLM and Forest Service lands - ATV's on designated trails only. Not allowed on roads.
Must have Oregon ATV permit no matter where you ride off your own property.
Helmets are required anywhere you ride off your property.
Private or corporate owned timber land, contact land owner for rules.
Firearms must be unloaded, no rounds in the magazine. If you have a CCP your handgun can be loaded.
:(

Put many a mile on my quad in the 139 units. Basic rule - vertically marked numbered road - ok to ride, horizontally marked road, not ok. Closed roads might be marked but not always. An unmarked road may or may not be legal and there are a series of maps you are required to carry which are about as clear as mud. I have spent hours on a desk in the Fort Rock District Office in Bend trying to get clear answers on all of the new 'regulations' but all I come away with is more confusion. My conclusion is it is No 1, either a very poor attempt at developing actual 'regulations' or No 2, purposely made confusing to deter ATV riders from even riding in the areas. If Oregon would pull it head out it would develop a licensing plan for ATVs and give us a similar designation as licensed dirt bikes which CAN in effect ride on any legal road a vehicle can which as it stands is typically ANY numbered road. This is one of the reasons I am selling my quad and buying another Jeep. Almost anything I use my quad for I can do with a Jeep and be street legal.

I stopped at the Sisters Deschutes National Forest Office and got FIVE MAPS that have the forest divided into 8 sections IIRC. The maps are huge, cumbersome and far from complete. There are a lot of roads that are not on the maps, but do have markers. I didn't use my ATV because a friend hunted with me and we used his truck, besides it was cold as hell. What these road closures have done typically prevents hunters from riding from one drainage to another. The main roads are closed so to be legal you have to haul the ATV everywhere you want to drop off the main road. IMO these folks do their best to make it difficult or illegal to use ATV's in many areas. I did kill a Cow the day before it snowed. We have a place in Sisters and there was about 2' of snow there yesterday and it was -10 this morning. What RVTECH said pretty much sums it up.

The maps are huge, cumbersome and far from complete.
Ya liked those maps didn't ya? Yep everyone has a story about whats legal or not but until you research it yourself and discover the reality of it you really don't know - and the reality is I still don't understand it completely and neither do the Forest Circus personnel I talked to. I NEVER got a clear answer to anything and it was obvious I wasn't going to get any from the guy I was talking to. Lots of 'Non-Answer' answers - HOWEVER he did say one thing very interesting and revealing - he said "Until this plan is completely finished if you are seen by an LEO on a closed road you will most likely just be advised it is closed and not cited, but if you are seen on it a 2nd time you will be" The bottom line is I don't think the 'Big Plan' the FS started a few years ago was ever completed and got scrapped because you never hear anything about it anymore. I remember at the time (about 2009-10) it was in the news regularly but nothing since. I believe it probably got scrubbed from the budget and enforcement is left up to the interpretation of the particular LEO and what he/she makes up at the time and place.

BLM and Forest Service lands - ATV's on designated trails only. Not allowed on roads.
Must have Oregon ATV permit no matter where you ride off your own property.
Helmets are required anywhere you ride off your property.
Private or corporate owned timber land, contact land owner for rules.
Firearms must be unloaded, no rounds in the magazine. If you have a CCP your handgun can be loaded.
:(

Some of this isn't correct. I've never had a problem riding gravel roads in BLM or Forest Service lands. The exception is a gravel road that is considered two lanes, meaning four distinct ruts - to pass on-coming traffic you don't have to drive outside of your two wheel ruts in other words. If the road is marked closed, clearly that is a different story.

You are not required to wear a helmet while riding an ATV unless you are under 18 years of age.

To add to the firearm being unloaded, it is my understanding you can't have a loaded detachable magazine in your pocket that goes into the rifle you are carrying.

I've never had a problem riding gravel roads in BLM or Forest Service lands.
And for the most part neither have I - I say most because I have been stopped by FS LEOs and told or warned about this and that - and told the complete opposite by others. The prevailing believe by ATV riders (here in Central Oregon anyway) parallels what I previously mentioned IE other than a few basic laws (that are laid out and available on a must carry hard-card) there are far too many conditions and situations that can be encountered to be able to actually create any real, understandable rules and regulations so the FS came up with a bunch of totally confusing 'regulations' and equally confusing maps. The answer is simple - license quads and give them the SAME classification as STREET LEGAL dirt bikes with the same legal conditions. Unfortunately I don't see this as ever happening given the number of 'OHV' areas that have been established. Most of the OHV areas are a joke in that they are established in remote areas and unless one lives near them they get relatively little use due to most unwilling or unable to travel to them. I have been in the Fort Rock OHV area on a summer day, all day and have sometimes seen only a couple (or less) other ATVs. Bottom line is ATV owners in Oregon have a tough go at it when we should have some of the best access and availability.

If the govt had it's way we would only ride on private property or designated areas. I ride to hunt and last time I checked it's frowned on in OHV parks. The one near Spray is 50,000 acres that we used to hunt. The idiots could actually make some money if they let hunters in. No one hardly uses it that time of year anyway. I was told that they couldn't allow hunting there because cattle were on the property! No scheit they are in the whole dang national forest. Idiots

Licensing would be a win-win for all of us. There in NO viable argument against it and most ATV riders would be willing to accept 'conditions' such as not riding on interstates or being limited to roads of under 45 MPH speed limits. Turn signals and helmets would be a given of course but that is another acceptable condition. Unfortunately this will never happen because of the number of OHV areas already established. The state loves to tout the advantages and availability of the areas but really OHV areas are nothing more than the 'Drive in theaters' of the NF - a cheap way to tie up land until they decide to do something else with it.

To add to the firearm being unloaded, it is my understanding you can't have a loaded detachable magazine in your pocket that goes into the rifle you are carrying.

2014 ODF&W Big Game synopsis, Page 27 ...subsection (c)... nothing in the chamber ......

It is illegal to:

■ (1) Operate a snowmobile or ATV while
carrying a firearm or a bow unless the
firearm is unloaded, or with a bow,
unless all arrows are in a quiver. (2)
Subsection (1) of this section does not
apply to a person who is licensed under
ORD 166.291 and 166.292 to carry
a concealed handgun. (3) As used in
this section, "unloaded" means: (a) If
the firearm is a revolver, that there is
no live cartridge in the chamber that is
aligned with the hammer of the revolver;
(b) if the firearm is a muzzle-loading
firearm, that the firearm is not capped or
primed; or (c) If the firearm is other than
a revolver or a muzzle-loading firearm,
that there is no live cartridge in the
chamber.(Violation of ORS 821.240 is a
Class B traffic violation).

So, a person with a concealed carry license can carry a rifle with cartridges in the magazine, just not in the chamber? That's the way I read it.

You may be correct Joken.... however, in the interest of safety, I always remove round from hunting rifle/shotgun chamber when traveling by motor vehicle, atv or horseback. I hunt extensively on public domain, mostly for varmints and predators, and have never had an officer check my weapon or even ask.

ORS § 821.240¹
Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow
  • • exemptions
  • • penalty
(1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.
(3) As used in this section, unloaded means:
(a) If the firearm is a revolver, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber that is aligned with the hammer of the revolver;
(b) If the firearm is a muzzle-loading firearm, that the firearm is not capped or primed; or
(c) If the firearm is other than a revolver or a muzzle-loading firearm, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber.
(4) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1; 2011 c.662 §6]

Please note that I said magazine not chamber. It would be irresponsible to have a round in the chamber of a rifle in or on any vehicle. A holstered carry gun is a different animal and should be exempted however.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top