Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Attn: Member with 1911 Knowledge?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Frog, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

Hi All,

Just bought a 9mm Colt Defender. I'm wanting to know if the overall size of the gun (not barrel length) is the same as all 1911's?

Looking to have a custom made holster, and need to know if the 1911 'mold' with work? Also, will all 1911 wood grips fit this gun?

Thanks,
    Frog.

2. swampertwo

swampertwo Just moved to Olympic peninsula!! Active Member

What I see is a compact frame with a 3" barrel. Shorter grip(which shouldn't have any bearing on a custom holster) but the forward part of the frame and slide will have to be done on a like sized mold--it's not a standard sized gun ( ie..not full, commander or officer size). Officer size grip panels should fit.

3. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

Post some pics of your new toy! I've been looking at maybe getting a 1911 style 9mm as well. Have you shot it yet? If so how is it?

4. Frog

Thanks, swampertwo, I'll call about the grips. They'll know what I need.

Great Gun, absoluterik07.......

but hard to find in 9mm!!

Took about a month to find, and then turned out to be in my backyard! Heh, I never wanted to give Kieth's my business again, but he had the only one (under $1,000) that I could find in the US! I'm told Colt has made less than 2,000 copies since they were released last year. And the few that are for sale are 'allocation only' and selling $200 over MSLP!!

Anyway, first 150 rounds shot 2" low and 2" to the right at 25 - 30 feet. I'm putting a set of Hovack night sights on her, and I'll dial it in with them.

I'm sure happy I went 9mm and not 45! The recoil is very manageable and makes the gun fun to shoot. I really believe that a 45 needs at least a 4" barrel; 5 being even better.

View attachment 14316

Frog

5. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

If what you are asking is if the frame dimensions/slide dimensions are the same as a full size 1911, the answer is "almost." Width/height are the same for the slide and frame, but the lengths are different on both. It's the length of the frame that matters for a custom holster.

However the frame length at the grip is out of the holster so unimportant in this case. The frame forward of the trigger guard, the "dust cover." is 3/8" shorter than on the Government Model of 1911. If you put a Defender/New Agent slide on a 1911 type frame, the frame would extend past the slide I believe. Someone with the skill to build a nice holster should know this. Another way to think of it is that you want a Commander sized holster for a 3" barrel, not a 4 1/4". If you found a nicely molded holster for the Commander that could be cut down an inch (didn't wreck the stitching, or was re-sewn), then that would work.

6. Frog

Thank Oro.

Frog.

7. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

Hope I made it clear. Kinda tired right now!

8. swampertwo

swampertwo Just moved to Olympic peninsula!! Active Member

9. Frog

Thanks swampertwo,

I've looked at his Web Site and left a voice message with John. His products looks great!

Frog.

10. WA_SIG

WA_SIG Greater Seattle New Member

FWIW, I use a Nighthawk IWB full size 1911 holster. I carry my Defender, Officer's, Commander and full size in the same holster. The molding fits all. The only difference is the length of the guns. A friend had me try this and I have since sold the individual holsters I used to use.

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Frog, the other option is to get a holster where it doesn't matter what length the barrel is. I have a Galco Silhouette that I never use that you could try with it to see if you like that style of holster. I'm in Hillsboro so let me know if you would like to try it some time.

Like this one.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1876.php