JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys.. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone in the Saint Helens, Scappoose, Portland area. Ive set up a bow maintenance shop here at the house. I am doing bow setups, bow tuning, arrow building, paper tuning, string and cable installs, cam timing, and accessory installs etc.

Yes, I know there are a ton of bow shops in town and why would you have me do it as opposed to a professional shop? Ill explain.

Over the years I have taken my bow to numerous shops around the Portland area for tuning, string changes etc. Some are good and some not so good. I know everyone has the guy they go to. I had my guy too. But one thing I noticed is I ALWAYS had to readjust something, or straighten something or re-tune it to a degree. The reason for this is dudes who work at bow shops do this all day. They tune 10-30 bows a day and try to get them done as quickly as possible. They are usually set up "good enough" for hunting.
I was never happy with this so years ago I started working on my own bows. I bought a legit press, an OTM ball bow vice, tools, arrow saw, spine indexer etc, and started doing all this myself with WAY better success. The thing is, this is not my main source of income. I do it purely for the love of working on bows and I'm very meticulous and very much a perfectionist when it comes to setting up a bow. If it takes me 3 hours to get a perfect bullet hole Im happy to suss it out and make it happen. Whereas a shop will get it "close enough" and call it good.
I have been setting up hunting bows that will shoot every bit as accurately as a competition target bow.

Another thing I would never trust a shop at doing is building my arrows. Sometimes they would be cut 1/8 too short or too long. They would not be spine indexed or fletching would not be glued correctly.
So when I build arrows they are cut 1/8 over and then I face the ends off in a lathe so they are 100% square and perfect length. They will be within a few thou of consistency regarding length. Your arrows will also be meticulously spine indexed so the arrows flex the same way every time they leave the rest. This is very important to accuracy as I'm sure you know. No shop will do this.
I can also do string and cable swaps and cam timing.

So basically. If you want your hunting rig to be 100% reliable and shoot like a target bow I can make that happen.

If you are interested my rates are reasonable. I'm a few bucks more than a shop but you get what you pay for. At the end of the day whats more important? Saving $30-$40 or feeling confident taking a 70 yard shot on an elk you've been stalking for 3 days. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Services include :
Bow setup
Paper tuning
String and cable swaps
Cam timing
1st, 2nd and 3rd axis sight leveling
Precision arrow building
Trouble shooting etc

Please text John at 347-271-1485

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR