JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remember the sqeaky wheel gets the grease! Once you are on civvie street use your congressman or congress woman also, the VA hates it when another bureacrat gets involved. The most serious draw back is that it takes time and when we were in the service you at least had a command structure to help you. i remember when i first started my disability process and thought it would never happen but time is the key and talk to your va reps like disabeled soldiers and the best one the VFW reps they get things rolling and have a network that helps. They usually have people that know or have the know how. The worst Va that i went to was in San Francisco,they treted us vets like we were lower than dirt and the hospital was third world. I was pretty disappointed with the service i recieved and the people that worked there were stuck in reverse. Bad knees and bad back problems were made worse by them. I have been in Az. and the VA hospital is one of the best I have ever been in and the people really try to help.

When I originally started this thread, I honestly thought I was just a few "weeks out" then I was to be done. Well here it is the last few days of 2012 and I am still on active duty (terminal leave) until 13 JAN 2013. I personally can't even start the process till after this date.

After re-reading this thread it does me justice that vets are stepping up to help vets.

I am back from a long break and will follow up with those members who asked for assistance. Once again I am just a Captain who wants to help out. Nothing more, nothing less. I do not work for AGI or the VA. What I know right now is what I have personally learned from the VA.

If you are a vet who has gotten the system to work for them please post your knowledge. Trust me every little piece of the puzzle helps put together the big picture.

SF-

I didn't know what section to put this in, so since it is firearm related I am putting it here. I have found a way for VA Vocational Rehabilitation to pay for your American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) video correspondence gunsmithing course. Trust me this isn't just gun video's it is an entire business plan to just about every course they offer. Even if you have a job/career you are in right now, you are still eligible if you meet the following criteria:

1. Have a VA disability of 30% or more. If you don't have this completed, this process will take the longest especially if you are non-combat or are non OEF/OIF. Don't give up yet I know of people who specialize in VA applications.
2. Have not used your post 9/11 G.I. Bill (If you don't use this you can transfer to a family member, ask me about this later) or your Montgomery GI bill from 'back in the day'. I have used 36 months when I was in college, so now I am only

Hi! Silver Fox, your inbox is full. This post may have saved my life. I was recently letting my depression get the best of me. I have a good job, but just can't function in it on a daily basis. Some days are just too much. I thought voc rehab wouldn't pay for what I wanted to do. I found this post and now I am going to reach out to my va rep and get this underway. I meet all the criteria except I have used 3 months of my post 9/11. Is there any more pertanent info I should have moving forward. Thank you!

I didn't know what section to put this in, so since it is firearm related I am putting it here. I have found a way for VA Vocational Rehabilitation to pay for your American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) video correspondence gunsmithing course. Trust me this isn't just gun video's it is an entire business plan to just about every course they offer. Even if you have a job/career you are in right now, you are still eligible if you meet the following criteria:

1. Have a VA disability of 30% or more. If you don't have this completed, this process will take the longest especially if you are non-combat or are non OEF/OIF. Don't give up yet I know of people who specialize in VA applications.
2. Have not used your post 9/11 G.I. Bill (If you don't use this you can transfer to a family member, ask me about this later) or your Montgomery GI bill from 'back in the day'. I have used 36 months when I was in college, so now I am only eligible for 12 more months.
3. Have not used more than 48 months of prior VA VOC-REHAB
4. Have an honorable discharge on your DD-214

As a soon to be veteran I want to ensure my fellow veterans are informed with the most current up to date info, so that they can make the best decisions for themselves. If this is an interest to you, please PM me. I do not work for the VA, nor AGI. I am just a guy who gives a rats hind quarter.

If you know a veteran who isn't a member of this sight and has interest in gunsmithing, please PM me there contact info.

Thank you,

SF-
I am new here but would love information on this silver fox. Plese email me @ [email protected]

Silver Fox I tried to pm you but your inbox is full. I got excepted to the Voc rehab program but the councilor told me they wouldn't pay for a gunsmithing program. I asked why she said stuff about legalities. I asked her to show me in writing where it says voc rehab doesn't pay for gunsmithing, then her story changed and told me the if I became a gunsmith I wouldn't be able to get a job. I'm trying to press the issue. Anyone with info to help me? Thanks

Depending on the VOC school for 'Smithing you choose, the School will ( likely) have a work around. Trinidad is one such school, but it's been quite a while since I looked into it! Your Counselor is in no position to claim any thing about weather or not you can or will find work after, its getting you into the system and into a school that they are responsible for!

Depending on the VOC school for 'Smithing you choose, the School will ( likely) have a work around. Trinidad is one such school, but it's been quite a while since I looked into it! Your Counselor is in no position to claim any thing about weather or not you can or will find work after, its getting you into the system and into a school that they are responsible for!

I am try to do the AGI course. I spoke with Cherri from AGI she told me I might have to contact me county VA service officer, or elected officials. The VA is so frustrating!

Yea, the VA sucks, so much red tape and so many hoops to jump through!
Just to give an idea of HOW BAD, my Father served as Captain in the NAVY for 24 of his 30 years, and was denied Benefits!!! A U.S. Navy Destroyer Captain denied!!! WTF
We had to get on our congressmen's case and State Gov'ner to get him into the system! They claimed his retirement income was too great and that he could afford any care or other things he needed on his own! Total BS:mad::mad::mad:

Yea, the VA sucks, so much red tape and so many hoops to jump through!
Just to give an idea of HOW BAD, my Father served as Captain in the NAVY for 24 of his 30 years, and was denied Benefits!!! A U.S. Navy Destroyer Captain denied!!! WTF
We had to get on our congressmen's case and State Gov'ner to get him into the system! They claimed his retirement income was too great and that he could afford any care or other things he needed on his own! Total BS:mad::mad::mad:
.... are there Any Veterans who have been able to use the VocRehab for AGI's courses...?!?
I attempted to Twice while in the Peeplz' Republik of Warshingtun'..... but denied both times.
1st- Received a postage-due letter in December that was back-dated to September (automatically bypassing my 60 day Appeal window) of denial.
2nd- Received letter stating: regardless of your rating, you don't medically qualify.
If anyone knows of someone who Has been able to..... I'd really like to chat with their Rep to see what can be done to cut through the buerocratic-bravo sierra...!!!

Start writing your Senators and Congresscritters!!! Send a request to your VA regional director for findings and the bases of those findings, and request a hearing on your status and any disability findings and how the "System" rating effects your eligibility for benefits! KEEP proof of EVERY correspondence with them especially those time/date stamped. They really love back dating crap so that you cannot appeal. Get them to commit to a date of mailings and write it all down. WRITE EVERY THING DOWN and make notes of who you speak to, date, time. ect! DO NOT BACK DOWN from them, or let them tell you NO!!!

i talked to Voc Rehab rep here in Iowa about becoming a gunsmith and he wouldnt let me, because he said it was not a viable income job to earn income. wouldnt give an inch on his decision even when i showed him statistics that it was a viable job. yet i see people from across the US use Voc Rehab to become gunsmiths. wasted a year of my time dealing with this problem. he released me after not coming up with a plan for my education, even tho i had submitted one on our initial meeting. tried going over his head but never ever came of it. i am at 50% disability service connected.

i talked to Voc Rehab rep here in Iowa about becoming a gunsmith and he wouldnt let me, because he said it was not a viable income job to earn income. wouldnt give an inch on his decision even when i showed him statistics that it was a viable job. yet i see people from across the US use Voc Rehab to become gunsmiths. wasted a year of my time dealing with this problem. he released me after not coming up with a plan for my education, even tho i had submitted one on our initial meeting. tried going over his head but never ever came of it. i am at 50% disability service connected.
Gotta love those bureaucracies

Sorry for your troubles and thank you for your service

2. Have not used your post 9/11 G.I. Bill (If you don't use this you can transfer to a family member, ask me about this later) or your Montgomery GI bill from 'back in the day'. I have used 36 months when I was in college, so now I am only eligible for 12 more months.
3. Have not used more than 48 months of prior VA VOC-REHAB
4. Have an honorable discharge on your DD-214

As a soon to be veteran I want to ensure my fellow veterans are informed with the most current up to date info, so that they can make the best decisions for themselves. If this is an interest to you, please PM me. I do not work for the VA, nor AGI. I am just a guy who gives a rats hind quarter.

If you know a veteran who isn't a member of this sight and has interest in gunsmithing, please PM me there contact info.

Thank you,

SF-
SF it's nice to see someone offering solutions and with a familiarity on the subject. I found AGI this past winter during my every other year or so search for gunsmith training that I can fit in and around my disability. I've started the voc rehab process here in Cheyenne and am meeting resistance. One is the claim the VA doesn't pay for "correspondence" based programs. I'm told numerous vets have used voc rehab benefits to pay for this program so I'm not taking no for an answer.
I've also heard the real obstacle is the regional voc rehab director who doesn't, for yet to be known reasons, like vets going the gunsmith route.

Having found and joined this forum I'm hoping to network with actual gunsmiths, AGI grads, or anyone else with experience in voc rehab. One of the hoops I have to jump through is interview 3 professionals in the career I'm trying to enter. I've spoken with my AGI student advisor about reaching other veterans or simply graduates as another pool of professionals. I'll be checking here often to gain any insight or other means to bolster my application. 20+ years post injury I've tried many different things, with this being in my mind as the dream vocation I've finally identified a way to see it happen. Just need the VA to follow through with benefits I've earned along with anyone who became disabled while serving.

Appreciate any additional info you might have.

SWH

I'm meeting similar resistance here. Did you try a different advisor/ location?

If you were in Oregon, Colorado, or Texas, I could point you to those who could help, but I don't know of any one in your AO!
Have you tried an Ombudsman yet, Might be a good option given your not getting answers/results! Check online in your A.O. for this service local to you!

If you were in Oregon, Colorado, or Texas, I could point you to those who could help, but I don't know of any one in your AO!
Have you tried an Ombudsman yet, Might be a good option given your not getting answers/results! Check online in your A.O. for this service local to you!
Colorado is close enough considering the person being an obstacle is at the Colorado VA and covers WY, MT and poss further

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top