JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Probably one of the most widely used and solid presses out there has been made better by, believe it or not, a competitor.

Hornady makes a conversion kit to allow the use of their LNL Die Bushings.

All that one needs to do is unscrew the large steel bushing from the top of the frame, insert the LNL adapter, and a great press is even better.

I stumbled on the kit one day and since I've installed it I wish I'd gone looking sooner. I can now leave all my dies preset and change from sizing, expanding, seating, or even a collet puller die in a quick "unlock, remove, insert, lock, movement. Literally no more "screwing around".

044099-LNL-conv-kit-pkg.jpg

Best $20 I've spent lately.:cool:

044099-LNL-conv-kit-pkg.jpg

Thanks for the info. I have an old RC have recently started using. I will look into purchasing this conversion kit. I also have an xl650 I have used for years, but I wanted to get back into single stage loading. This kit seems to be a way to streamline the die changing process. Is it that much of an upgrade on the classic?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Not familiar with the "Classic". This conversion kit works with any press that has the adapter bushing in the top of the cast frame that reduces the hole from 1-/14" to 7/8" like the threads on the die. The bushing was used to reduce wear on the threads of the casting as one is always threading in, and out, the dies.

For my press the "upgrade" consisted of finding a wrench large enough for the hex on the bushing. That was the biggest problem and in the end I just opened the jaws of my Vise Grip to remove the bushing. To install the new bushing, with the locking lugs, just insert a die in a quick change bushing, tighten the lock nut, then put the removable bushing about half way into the new adapter in the top of the press. Tighten both with the wrench used to tighten the die lock nut.

Hmm. My old rock chucker doesn't have a bushing on the top of the frame. It already accepts 7/8" dies. I will do more research before I commit to buying this conversion kit. I had assumed that the kit allowed for rapid changing of dies.

Hmm. My old rock chucker doesn't have a bushing on the top of the frame. It already accepts 7/8" dies. I will do more research before I commit to buying this conversion kit. I had assumed that the kit allowed for rapid changing of dies.

According to the RCBS Parts Diagrams, both the RC and RCII use the bushing to "make" the press accept the 7/8" dies.

The old Partner and Special presses, some had the bushing, some didn't.

Here's the "Parts Drawings".

<broken link removed>

Since the press was given to me, honestly I don't know if it is a partner model or otherwise. I just assumed it was a classic base model. Wow, I have some homework to do.

If you can't use the quick change bushings, then just invest in some Forster split lock rings or something similar. When you adjust your dies, the split rings lock tight into the threads and don't allow for any change in adjustment until YOU want to. Then just put a little anti-seize on the die threads. They'll spin in and out of your press with little or no effort after the initial effort to loosen.

Maybe you could swap it with a "collector" for a later model RC with the removable threaded bushing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top