JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Appleseed is eye opening

I had prior service and those techniques were insufficient for appleseed. Note that the smallest Appleseed target is half of the Army 300m qual target

Once you complete Appleseed then I recommend KD Appleseed ( known distance) where you shoot at 100, 200, 300, 400 yds.

Humbling but very helpful

Going to Albany this weekend. ARPC 800 Agg. @ 100 yds. Approved + J.C. Garand Match
Weekend next is Woodstock. NITT (National Infantry Team Trophy) Match is what we
call "Rattle Battle" with a carbine! Very fun. They furnish a carbine and ammo. :p
Oct. 22, ERGC Wood Stocked US Service Rifles 800 Agg. + M-1 Carbine NTIT Match
http://www.ossa.org/uploads/2/5/3/2/25326702/2016_highpower_schedule_v3.pdf

For those who haven't heard of Appleseed before is one heck of a deal and you will get an appreciation of why we have the USA. In addition to the 25 meter Appleseed on scaled targets, there are also Know Distance at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. Attending one of these events with a teachable attitude will make you a better shot and you will learn the a sling is not just to carry your rifle. This can be a family event. Responsible children old enough to handle a rifle in safe manner can attend. I have seen shooters as young as 6 and as old as 80.
In addition, you meet a lot of very fine people. www.appleseedinfo.org.
I am sensorguy on the Appleseed forum. For that matter, invite your elected officials and get them see that shooting is not a bad thing.

Yes sir. We are not equipment snobs. Whatever you bring to the line, we will help you shoot it better.

Now, that said - the AQT is really designed for semi-auto, magazine fed rifle with adjustable sighting system (scopes are fine, I don't recommend a red dot) and an adjustable sling (GI Web sling is preferred)

Bolt action ramps up the difficulty. Lever gun even more so since both of these force you to break position to cycle the action. I've handed out many rifleman patches to bolt guns. I've never handed a rifleman patch to a lever gun (but there's always that first ;)).

We do offer loaner equipment if you don't want to handicap yourself.
Last April at Coeur d'Alene, Bob shot the top score of the weekend with a scoped Winchester '94 in .30-30. 219 if I remember correctly. He was smooth and fed each round a single shot for the rapid fire sequences.

Most definetely. I learned so much from this two day course. And I was like you starting around mid 100's and ending at 197 I believe. And of course, I found out that I need to get in shape! But i'll be back for that rifleman's patch! Thanks again Project Appleseed and NWFA for the giveaway!

I'd like to go to the one next year where you shoot out to 600yds and possibly bring the wife as well.

This summer, I shot a Service Rifle (CMP) event at 200, 300 and 600 yards using an M1 Garand with iron sights only. It was a lot of fun (would have been more fun if it weren't 96 degrees that day :(). I'd never shot beyond 100 yards before that day. I learned a lot from the more experienced folks there - some stuff I hope to carry into an Appleseed event one of these days. I ended up with 2 problems that day that affected my shooting though - the sights on my Garand were damaged and needed to be repaired as they weren't holding the adjustments and were jumping around and second, I found out that the bullet weight I was shooting was too light for 600 yards, a spotter said they could see my bullet path all over the place due to the thermals that day. Either way, it was a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to more long range shooting down the road.

This summer, I shot a Service Rifle (CMP) event at 200, 300 and 600 yards using an M1 Garand with iron sights only. It was a lot of fun (would have been more fun if it weren't 96 degrees that day :(). I'd never shot beyond 100 yards before that day. I learned a lot from the more experienced folks there - some stuff I hope to carry into an Appleseed event one of these days. I ended up with 2 problems that day that affected my shooting though - the sights on my Garand were damaged and needed to be repaired as they weren't holding the adjustments and were jumping around and second, I found out that the bullet weight I was shooting was too light for 600 yards, a spotter said they could see my bullet path all over the place due to the thermals that day. Either way, it was a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to more long range shooting down the road.

Just out of curiosity, what ammo were you using that day?

Just out of curiosity, what ammo were you using that day?

Privi Partisan loaded for the M1 Garand. Projectile was a 150 grain FMJ. The guys on the line who load their own said that the 150 grain bullet was fine for 100/200, maybe out to 300 yards, but at 600, they said I needed at least a 168 grain bullet.

etrain,
While I have never attended a Appleseed shoot nor do I now own an M1 rifle ...
I have shot my 03A3 at 500 yards and have also found that a 165-168 grain bullet works best for distance with my rifle.
Andy

etrain,
While I have never attended a Appleseed shoot nor do I now own an M1 rifle ...
I have shot my 03A3 at 500 yards and have also found that a 165-168 grain bullet works best for distance with my rifle.
Andy

I sold the M1 back to the guy who sold it to me (he really wanted it back and he's a good guy, so we worked a reverse deal to get it back to him). I am about to finishing paying off a layaway on an M1A, so I'll be switching from .30-06 to .308. I don't hand load rifle yet, but I'll definitely be looking into it as time passes. For now, for anything but the 100 yard line, I'll definitely keep that bullet weight in mind.

Just out of curiosity, out to what distances do you like to shoot that 03A3?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top