JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Atlantics have been in the NW for some time. Pass Lake, near Anacortes, received a plant some years back. They grew up to 10 lbs. and fought like hell. A lake planted in the Olympics produced 5 - 8 lb. fish. Oregon planted them in Hosmer Lake and they grew to 4 - 5 lbs. Lee Wulff, a well known fly fisherman, started the 20 - 20 club. You had to catch an atlantic that was at least 20 lbs. on a size 20, or smaller, fly. A lot of people are in that club.

In 3 - 4 months, what's left of the escapees will have figured out what to eat and they will gradually lose the effects of the net pen diet. Those fish should be fit for the table.
YEP the ones that the seals and killer whale 's don't get I heard not many being caught unless it's in a net

All fish of the salmonoid species(including trout, salmon and chars) are a predator fish except for sockeye and their landlocked cousins kokaee which feed on plankton . Why do you think people fish for them with bait? All in the scheme of life. I think the Atlantic Salmon as an invasive species is a bunch of crap, they have been here for over 150 years now. To me a bunch of liberal crap-pseudo science running off at the mouth, why are they not crying over the German Browns, Striped Bass and Walleyes? They cause more damage to native fisheries.
Sometimes I think PC language and species management get connected via jumper cables. While I admire PREVENTING invasive species from getting a foothold, I have seen too many examples of invasive species that have been here >100 years and have adapted to the environment (oaks, wild flowers, etc). I was a volunteer in a group that cleared an area down in Turner of the invasive plants and then a sister group planted sequoias (not native either!). That afternoon, when I went back and viewed their planting, there were 5 sequoiadendrum giganteum in a 30' diameter circle. I commented to the organizer, these species need to be in something more like 100' diameter circle. He replied, "it's OK, as we did this symbolically and they probably won't grow to maturity." SMH...

Can anyone here explain why Atlantic Salmon are/were even allowed in farm-pens in the Pacific in the first place? If there is any actual/real concern that an escape and "inter-mingling" of an invasive species would pose at threat it seems that the various departments involved would have stepped in and stopped or prevented it. If Joe citizen is caught putting even a single live fish where it doesn't belong there's hell to pay.

I think this is just a CYA move, because they knew some fisherman would pull up an Atlantic Salmon and it could turn into a big media flap.
(He didn't realize he had that much line out!...News at 11!)

WHY? Costco.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads