Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ATF Update on Saiga and Related Shotguns - Planned bans are no more!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by The Good Bad & The Ugly, Nov 20, 2011.

1. The Good Bad & The Ugly

The Good Bad & The Ugly Pacific Northwest Member

Manasquan, NJ --(Ammoland.com)- Saiga 12’s, Benelli M4’s and virtually any other tactical/military shotgun can no longer be banned from import by the ATF.
    A little noticed provision tucked into a large appropriations bill obviously flew under the radar of the “Brady Bunch” and the “Illegal Mayors.”
    The new law effectively kills ATF’s plan to stop tactical/military shotgun imports by way of abusing the “sporting purpose” requirement and their agency rulemaking powers.
    The “Fiscal Year 2012 Agriculture, Commerce/Justice/Science (CJS) and Transportation/Housing/Urban Development (THUD) Appropriations bills”, also known as the “Mini-Bus”, was passed by Congress, and signed into law by President Obama on November 18, 2011.
    The new law reads as follows:
    SEC. 541. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to pay the salaries or expenses of personnel to deny, or fail to act on, an application for the importation of any model of shotgun if–
    (1) all other requirements of law with respect to the proposed importation are met; and
    (2) no application for the importation of such model of shotgun, in the same configuration, had been denied by the Attorney General prior to January 1, 2011, on the basis that the shotgun was not particularly suitable for or readily adaptable

This new law became necessary due to the ATF releasing on January 27, 2011, a “Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns.” The “Study” argued “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” should be banned from import into the U.S.
    The ban would have applied to all shotguns including semi-autos, pump-actions, double barrels, etc. As part of the rulemaking process, comments from the public on the study were allowed to be submitted until May 1, 2011.

chris61182 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

And I'm sure the people that paid $1200 a couple months ago for their saiga 12 are having buyers remorse right about now.

3. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

One step in the right direction. Saiga are good semi auto shotguns but their prices mirrored their rarerity more than values. I've always wanted one and maybe now they'll be cheaper

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I think that is hilarious!

5. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

<-------Waits for 450 again

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

<-------Waits for 250 again.

7. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

At 250 I'd buy one, at 450; probably not.

8. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Nothing more than people falling prey to profiteers. Be careful whose story you believe.

10. 22many

Falling prey or not, it's called buyer beware.

11. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I think the key phrase in that provision is:

It just says that the money made available by this act cannot be used to ban the importation. It's still very possible to ban these weapons.

So when the article says:
    I believe they are being misleading.

12. 22many

Typical for the US government.......

13. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

You are incorrect - the 'money made available by this act' is their entire annual budget. It effectively prevents them from carrying out these bans.

14. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

There are already a bunch popping up for the 700-900 range... Anticipation? LOL

15. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

They've been $600 new for a couple months now. I would imagine you see prices hit $450-500 and get set there by the importers

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I would make note that no one here paid that. It was 2 members colluding playing price fixing games or should I say 2 ex members.

bikejunkie and (deleted member) like this.
  17. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

:bluelaugh::laugh::bluelaugh::laugh:

Good job!! :thumbup: