JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the fact that they put ATF compliant on there is because they knew people wouldn't question it.We live in a place were we have to put labels on hair dryers so they don't bring them into bathtubs and put labels on toasters to make sure people don't stick Forks or knives in them.

I believe the only way to find out whether my SBA4 brace is legal to run on an AR pistol is to send it in. What will happen to the firearm and myself if it is determined to be a SBR rather than a pistol?
I think the most upsetting part is that where put in this position in the first place. I don't know if you recall the SB devoid plug but it says it has not been approved by ATF but it's compliant with the ATF and they put on their website that it may turn that pistol into an SBR.

It was specifically "ATF Approved."
They did raise concern about the use of the phrase "ATF Compliant" on SB packaging. They didn't mention it in the text of the letter but they did include it in a graphic provided with in the body of the letter.

Screenshot_20201201-020512.png

Here is source for that:
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/at...not-have-determination-letters/#axzz6fKzwbLps

What do you suppose "BATFE Compliant" means
That its not a stock.
They did raise concern about the use of the phrase "ATF Compliant" on SB packaging. They didn't mention it in the text of the letter but they did include it in a graphic provided with in the body of the letter.

View attachment 785282

Here is source for that:
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/at...not-have-determination-letters/#axzz6fKzwbLps
Then ATF went back on what they told SB Tactical about not needing further evaluations. However, until they review the braces they are still not stocks.

That its not a stock.

Then ATF went back on what they told SB Tactical about not needing further evaluations. However, until they review the braces they are still not stocks.
Can you provide where you are getting the info. Not pokeing the bear but this may help some folks

Since the SBA4 is just an accessory at this point in time, I am thinking about throwing one these in my SBA4 to make it easier to shoulder, I should probably yank the strap off too unless I can figure out a way to strap on an extra mag with it.

Last Edited:
This is all based on a letter that the ATF sent 2 years ago. I haven't heard about anyone getting snatched up for their pistol brace in the last 2 years.

It also doesn't explicitly say that all of the unapproved braces ARE stocks, just that they aren't officially approved braces.

Seems like a whole lot of hoopla.

This is all based on a letter that the ATF sent 2 years ago. I haven't heard about anyone getting snatched up for their pistol brace in the last 2 years.

It also doesn't explicitly say that all of the unapproved braces ARE stocks, just that they aren't officially approved braces.

Q did get hassled in the last two years. I think they are waiting for the new President to be moved in before putting pedal to the metal. If this gal is influencing agenda we are in trouble:

"It also doesn't explicitly say that all of the unapproved braces ARE stocks, just that they aren't officially approved braces."

Very true, many "braces" haven't been designated either way yet. How many "stocks" do you think have been submitted to the ATF and been approved as a stabilizing brace or as stock? Probably none. So maybe we could run a "stock" on our pistols and call it a "brace" until we get approval or not from the ATF? There seems to be very little difference between "stocks" and "braces" imho.

Q did get hassled in the last two years. I think they are waiting for the new President to be moved in before putting pedal to the metal. If this gal is influencing agenda we are in trouble:

Q? Lol. Yeah, okay there, bud.

"It also doesn't explicitly say that all of the unapproved braces ARE stocks, just that they aren't officially approved braces."

Very true, many "braces" haven't been designated either way yet. How many "stocks" do you think have been submitted to the ATF and been approved as a stabilizing brace or as stock? Probably none. So maybe we could run a "stock" on our pistols and call it a "brace" until we get approval or not from the ATF? There seems to be very little difference between "stocks" and "braces" imho.
Huge difference. Intent...

Can you provide where you are getting the info. Not pokeing the bear but this may help some folks
All the articles on this mention the ATF told SB they don't have to send other designs for evaluation as long as they follow the same set up.

As for them not being stocks, the ATF made no mention of them being stocks. So far, until otherwise stated, they are just an accessory not a brace.

Something else to think about is that supposedly approved braces can become stocks if redesigned, removing a strap for example. Is there any reason why a stock couldn't be redesigned to become a brace?

Something else to think about is that supposedly approved braces can become stocks if redesigned, removing a strap for example. Is there any reason why a stock couldn't be redesigned to become a brace?
Nothing saying you can't make your own brace. Its just know the ATF didn't approve of it so its a grey area.

Keeping in mind, they won't evaluate it unless its already attached to the gun. They don't like writing letters and reviewing braces, they get busy as it is.

I interpreted the compliant in the brace advertising as I would a toilet that was advertised as ADA Compliant, which would mean that the toilet meets standards set forth by the government. It seems like they were trying to make it sound like the braces met some BATFE standard for braces. It appears to be OK for them to use Compliant but what the heck does that mean? Sounds like it's intended to deceive the customer to me?

Yep.
I appreciate what SB Tactical has done for the industry. However, I don't appreciate word games from them any more than I appreciate word games from the ATF, Media talking heads, or Politicians. If marketing departments are playing free and easy with their ATF approval claims they sure aren't doing us any favors.

Last Edited:
All fun and games till you end up in the big house and get your cheeks "busted". :s0066:
:s0060:

No way. Please tell me the last time you saw, read or heard about any LAWFUL gun owner ending up in the pokey over a stock, magazine or otherwise?

You can't, because it doesn't happen. Not with LAWFUL gun owners who don't do dumb things with their guns. I'd bet MOST average LEO's don't know the laws and the ATF doesn't send out agents randomly looking for anything.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top