JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is an example of a determination letter for a brace that is approved to be used on a short barrel firearm without making an NFA item. It's for the Shockwave 2.0

Edit can't get direct link to copy:

It is top link in this search results page:

Here are links to couple of letters for Gear Head Works braces both Mod 1 and 2:

SB should have had letters like these for each model of their braces if they were marketing them as legal for use on short barreled firearms.

So the KAK Shockwave 2.0 is still legal on a pistol but any of the SB Tactical Braces arent because of Bureaucracy? :eek::mad:
Basically but the original SB15 and it appears the MPX PSB are approved. If you are looking at buying a brace for use on a short barreled firearm, double check to make sure it has a BATF approval letter available.

Gawd. How annoying is that...thinking SB Tactical was all approved....I emailed them asking if they refund for my year old brace since I was mislead by the advertising....

Gawd. How annoying is that...thinking SB Tactical was all approved....I emailed them asking if they refund for my year old brace since I was mislead by the advertising....
It's pretty messed up. I watched the interview Noir did with SB Tactical founder Alex. Alex seemed to put the blame on the BATF for not coming up with standards for braces. I guess he didn't want to have to submit each new design for a new approval letter.

Let us know if you hear back from them.

KAKs are still cheap but the prices will probably rise once everybody figures out what is going on.

E
Even some of the retailers are involved in duping buyers of these "braces".

Primary arms list the KAK Blade as "BATFE approved for pistol use", which is true.

For the SB Tactical SBA3 "brace" they list it as "BATFE compliant". WTF does that mean, compliant for what?

SB tactical might go down as pulling the biggest gun accessory duping of all time. They have sold millions of these things and I'll bet most buyers thought they were approved for pistol use.

E
Even some of the retailers are involved in duping buyers of these "braces".

Primary arms list the KAK Blade as "BATFE approved for pistol use", which is true.

For the SB Tactical SBA3 "brace" they list it as "BATFE compliant". WTF does that mean, compliant for what?

SB tactical might go down as pulling the biggest gun accessory duping of all time. They have sold millions of these things and I'll bet most buyers thought they were approved for pistol use.
I think after they sold that many braces that the atf would never go after it.... Unfortunately wrong and it seems we are left hung out to dry

Suddenly my $200 tax stamps on my SBRs seem like money well spent. Especially when I see some of these braces priced as much or more than the stamp.

Screenshot_20201125-052918_Samsung Internet.jpg

Went to palmetto state armory, where I bought my sba3. Scrolled down through the ad and towards the end it says, atf compliant. Oh well, living in the great American redoubt, no one is going to be enforcing the law up here. I would probably feel different if I lived in portland. But if jo biden & the ho keep their campaign promises, ar pistols are going to be the least of our worries.

In order to effectively make the 2nd Amendment useless , one does not have to abolish it or take away any firearms.
All one has to do is :

Ban certain items from being sold.

Or make a it requirement to pay a "tax" or the need to pass a course / get a certificate to own something...
Also make sure there are lots of confusing rules and hoops as well as a pricey tax and or certificate.

Place limits on what one can buy and where one can buy firearms.

Make seemingly arbitrary rulings for what is legal in regards to firearms.

Change the wording and definition of previous defined words , terms and conditions.

Spin the portrayal of guns and gun owners in a sinister light.

To be honest here I have no desire for a firearm with a pistol brace.
But with that said...
I also have no desire for more useless rulings , bans , requirements and the like , that only serve to undermine the ownership of firearms.

Any firearm and any firearm accessory can make it to someone's "You can't own this " list.
To allow any firearm or accessory to be banned or restricted , is to pave the way for all firearms and firearm accessories to be banned or restricted.
Andy

In order to effectively make the 2nd Amendment useless , one does not have to abolish it or take away any firearms.
All one has to do is :

Ban certain items from being sold.

Or make a it requirement to pay a "tax" or the need to pass a course / get a certificate to own something...
Also make sure there are lots of confusing rules and hoops as well as a pricey tax and or certificate.

Place limits on what one can buy and where one can buy firearms.

Make seemingly arbitrary rulings for what is legal in regards to firearms.

Change the wording and definition of previous defined words , terms and conditions.

Spin the portrayal of guns and gun owners in a sinister light.

To be honest here I have no desire for a firearm with a pistol brace.
But with that said...
I also have no desire for more useless rulings , bans , requirements and the like , that only serve to undermine the ownership of firearms.

Any firearm and any firearm accessory can make it to someone's "You can't own this " list.
To allow any firearm or accessory to be banned or restricted , is to pave the way for all firearms and firearm accessories to be banned or restricted.
Andy

Gee, that sounds a LOT like prepping for the E-5 board!!

:confused::s0140:

It would be nice of the SCOTUS to tell the various Federal Agencies including the ATF that they have zero authority to create legislation and laws :rolleyes: only that Congress can do so and direct them to enforce. But yea... no. Not gonna stop ATF apparently :(

Slow down everyone.

SB Tactical can still submit each of its new designs to the ATF for approval or disapproval.

SB Tactical was asked multiple times in the past when they released new braces if they came with an approval and most of the time they said things along these lines, "our technology in this product is no different than the original design and therefore the same." I'll try and find an old shot show video of the guy saying that exact thing.

So if anyone IS to blame here, it is SB Tactical, and or any other company that did not """ASK"" permission first and just started selling their items. THIS IS THE MAIN PART OF WHY THIS IS HAPPENING. The ATF doesn't like not being included in things.

I brought it up once before, it was weird that Magpul released braces at shot show, yet they died somewhere after. Me thinks, magpul did the right thing and went to the AFT. They likely got a no, as the braces were identical (slimmer) than some of their stocks.

Anyways, I saw this coming so it no longer affects me much. I know some here likely have a ton of braced guns, to you all, I wish you the best!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top