JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It may also be an Illinois ruling that the batfe is enforcing. The company that they searched was in Ill. and I see nothing on the batfe site.

<broken link removed>

Quoted:

"UPDATE: Looking more at the actual bullets, it would appear they are turned brass. Brass is a no-no alloy. Barnes makes these bullets too, but they are marketed by Barnes as hunting rounds. Possibly Barnes received an OK from ATF to sell these under the sporting purposes exception. ET seems to be marketing them differently. It's also possible Barnes doesn't use enough Zinc to be considered brass. Also possible ATF is being completely arbitrary, which would not be the first time."

<broken link removed>

Quoted:

"UPDATE: Looking more at the actual bullets, it would appear they are turned brass. Brass is a no-no alloy. Barnes makes these bullets too, but they are marketed by Barnes as hunting rounds. Possibly Barnes received an OK from ATF to sell these under the sporting purposes exception. ET seems to be marketing them differently. It's also possible Barnes doesn't use enough Zinc to be considered brass. Also possible ATF is being completely arbitrary, which would not be the first time."

<broken link removed>

Most of the Barnes "Solids" that I've shot are more a Copper bullet than brass. Cartridge brass is 30% zinc. Barnes Triple Shock's are 100% Copper and the MRX are copper with tungsten core although not like the tungsten penetrators in some AP rounds.

Last Edited:
I have to admit to not knowing much about the technical specifics of "elite ammunition" however there's a really good FAQ from rec.guns about the topic:

rec.guns FAQ: II.G.1. Federal Law and AP Ammunition

I think it's likely that this decision will be hammered into place and will somehow stick against elite but not to barnes for the following reasons:

3) USE - The bullet must be able to be used in a handgun. Rather than
construing this to mean regular handgun calibers, ATF construes this to
mean any caliber for which a handgun has been made, including handguns
in rifle calibers, like .308 Winchester, and 7.62x39, for purposes of
bullets covered by (B)(i). Thus bullets suitable for these calibers,
as well as other rifle calibers for which handguns have been made (at
least commercially made) which are constructed as described below would
or should be AP ammo.
However bullets that fall into the AP definition under (B)(ii), because
their jackets comprise more than 25% of their weight (solid copper bullets?)
must be intended for use in a handgun, not just be able to be used in a
handgun.

Barnes markets their ammunition specifically for hunting, while it may technically have some AP capability due to constriction it seems they are exempt due to the sporting exception, and technically their bullets are not "intended" for pistols.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top