Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ATF raking in the overtime and per-deums

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by markw76, Jul 1, 2009.

1. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

If they have the gall to start this in Texas, it will spread. Luckily, it's getting publicity . . . Drudge has it as his top headline right now.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6505651.html

Nice. I'm going to need a new set of waders...it's getting pretty deep.

2. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

I thought all those BATF agents were following out the leads generated by traced guns.. in other words, finding out WHO purchased them in Houston, or wherever... the fact they'd been seized in Mexico tends, on its face, to indicate an illegal sale for export.

So, it now seems they're simply scanning gun dealer sales records and finding "suspicious" activity (the pastor who bought two handguns for target practice... is that so unbelievable?) and following that out.... that scenario will certainly lead to harrassing innocent civilians. Hah, the "activity" buying and selling I've done since the first of the year would, if I lived in the Houston area, certainly get them knocking up my door. And that doesn't even begin to get near the private face to face sales, all legal. Wonder just what "rights' might remain to guys like me should they come calling and want to "have a look see". I KNOW if they haven't a warrant naming specific items they've no right to come in. But I'll wager at very long odds they could get more than snarky and cost me a LOT of time and money if I didn't. They have their ways......

I suppose these chaps haven't heard yet of our right to freedom from unreasonable searches....... that follows closely upon our right to keep and bear arms, and our right to freely associate.

Hmmmphhhh

3. markw76

Just the publicity on this will have the real traffickers scrambling to change their MO. I haven't read any reports of harassment yet, only them chasing down "tips" of varying quality. I hope they catch some of the opportunists causing us trouble, and leave the legit owners trying to stay law abiding alone.

4. Rugerbub

Rugerbub OREGON Member

Sounds like there r going after the bad guys and not US. This is all the more reason to make sure we r all selling and trading our gun legally!!!!!!!!!

5. markw76

Most do, but sometimes you wouldn't know it from certain ATF actions...taking cheap, easy shots that don't solve anything like going after someone that used a wrong abbreviation on a form or something.

6. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Or that Grabber neighbor you cheesed off (or even just someone who knows you're a gunowner and hates you for it) making an anonymous phone-call...

----------------
    Now playing: John Williams - Desert Chase
    via FoxyTunes

7. markw76

Always pays not to advertise. Anything I take from the house to a vehicle is cased, or done before the sun's up. And those ammo cans could contain anything....:paranoid::rolleyes: