JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I didn't except to have a movie quite gun but I was expecting the reverse of what happened yesterday. Took my MP-1522 and my sig mosquito out to test drive the new can. The pistol was amazing I could hear the hit on the pop can and the slide cycling forth and back. I used standard 22LR not subsonic on both guns. The MP1522 was still loud enough to need ear plugs.

Anyone know why the pistol would have a lower sound out-put compared to the rifle?

Thanks.

In the pistol, the bullet stays subsonic, while the same round will make the bullet supersonic in the rifle. That's the difference. If you want quiet out of the rifle, you'll need to shoot subsonic rounds. Subsonic rounds might not cycle your MP-15 22.

What can did you get?

Is the can registered in your name or did you set up a trust?

These cycle a MP15-22 w/o a suppressor, so they should continue to do so with a suppressor with the added back pressure. AMM-057 - .22 LR Aguila Sniper SubSonic 60 Grain 500 Round Box 950 fps 10 Boxes of 50 Rounds

The 60g SS rounds are noticeably more quiet even without a suppressor out a rifle without the subsonic crack.

Cool facts I didn't know:

In common everyday speech, speed of sound refers to the speed of sound waves in air. However, the speed of sound varies from substance to substance. Sound travels faster in liquids and non-porous solids than it does in air. It travels about 4.3 times faster in water (1,484 m/s), and nearly 15 times as fast in iron (5,120 m/s), than in air at 20 degrees Celsius (1,126 fps)

Maybe this is why you supposedly can put your ear to a railroad track and here the train coming from miles away.

A fireworks show is a demonstration of how 'slow' the speed of sound through air really is - you see the firework and then hear the bang a 2-3 seconds afterward.

You need to know a lot more about how it works.

There are 2 noises that come from shooting a gun. The first is the high pressure in the barrel escaping into the low pressure air. This is the sound a silencer reduces. The second noise is the bullet breaking the speed of sound (if the bullet travels over ~1100 fps) and the silencer does NOTHING for that. Also different actions will have different noises. A gun with a locked action (bolt, lever, pump, ect) will be much quieter then a semi auto since you will get noise from the breach both as gas and action noise.

In a .22 rifle there is very little muzzle blast so there is very little for the silencer to do. Most of the noise from a .22 is from the bullet breaking the speed of sound. Easy test for this is to shoot SS ammo out a .22 rifle and see the difference. On the other hand .22 pistols have a LOT of muzzle blast so there is a lot for the silencer to do. As stated with most guns with barrels less then 5" most .22 will stay SS.

If you want gun that is quieter then movie quiet try a bolt action .22 with SS ammo......

Be VERY, VERY CAREFUL about shooting 60gr. Aquila SSS through your can - that long slug needs a faster-than-normal twist to guarantee that it will stabilize, and not damage your can with a baffle strike.

Some people say the SSS rounds work fine in their stock guns, while others say they 'keyhole' targets only 20 yds. away. Shoot some SSS at ~50 yds. and see if you get 100% nice, round holes. If yes, THEN screw on the can and cross your fingers.

Personally, I bought a fast-twist (1:9") barrel from E. R. Shaw with a threaded muzzle for a purpose-built suppressed SSS launcher (with an SWR Warlock can).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top