JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks @ The Heretic

On another note. Ten pages and no one knows what brace(s) in question it is.
And no credits for taking this class.

I've only audited the class, so no credit anyway...
:p

IMO, the source (Rep. Matt Gaetz) is less than credible on most things, and as a result, not much note provided to the topic.

@Boboclown
From the ATF's point of view, a manufacturer manufactures firearms. Alternatively, they manufacture firearms.
From the ATF's point of view, an individual makes a firearm from a manufacturer's parts.

It appears that you are taking the colloquial view, not the legal one as distinguished by the ATF. In common, everyday language, you can say "you manufactured a firearm" when what you did was assemble the barrel, lower, upper, LPK, into a functional weapon, and people will understand. In plain english, you aren't wrong.

From the ATF and a legal point of view, an individual not in the business is maker, not a manufacturer.
From the ATF and a legal point of view, Ruger, who is in the business, is a manufacturer.

It appears that you are taking the colloquial view, not the legal one as distinguished by the ATF. In common, everyday language, you can say "you manufactured a firearm" when what you did was assemble the barrel, lower, upper, LPK, into a functional weapon, and people will understand. In plain english, you aren't wrong.
Look, if I turn a shovel and a broom into a gun it ain't assembly at that point. Its functionality is questionable, but it ain't no assembly. o_O

I don't think any braces will be banned. My bet if anything happens is the ATF will write an opinion saying that some design of brace (probably SBA3/4 style) is a stock. They seem to change their minds regularly on issues like this. Even if the brace is determined to be a stock why would it be banned. It could be used on a legal rifle.

Another thing to think about is how they determine when a brace is a brace? Will the ATF say that braces can only have so much surface on the butt end of the brace? It seems like you could throw a strap on any stock and call it a brace. The shockwave blades don't even come with straps and got the brace designation.

There are some stocks out there with very minimal surface area where the stock contacts the shoulder like this ELF unit, I imagine my SBA4 would be much more comfortable to use than this stock:

1593099713138.png

This one doesn't look comfy either:

1593100184008.png

Last Edited:
Let's say a person modified a pistol brace by adding a removable buttpad for use on a rifle. Could they remove the buttpad and use the brace on a pistol. Or is the rule, once a brace converted to a stock always a brace converted to a stock.

Let's say a person modified a pistol brace by adding a removable buttpad for use on a rifle. Could they remove the buttpad and use the brace on a pistol. Or is the rule, once a brace converted to a stock always a brace converted to a stock.
1593111832500.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads