JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with you. Just one thing I wonder about. Is there a law that gives the ATF the authority to regulate things via policy? For example DoD directives (memos) are a matter of law. When a general or SES sends out a memo, it's a matter of law. I wonder if they gave the ATF that same power via statute.

Then think of it another way. Who would you rather interpreting things and deciding. Diane "the shoulder thing that goes up" Feinstein when talking about a barrel shroud for a shotgun or more gun savvy ATF? I'm not defending them by ANY means. I just giving food for thought. They are the lesser of 2 evils and I'd bet they have statutory authority to regulate via policy. They have Attorneys on staff and US Attorneys to consult. They have more education and experience with law than any of us. Not as much common sense but more legal knowledge.
I choose the third option, Neither. We don't need, want or require regulation. The 2A gave us all the regulation required regarding firearms.

Will we see the AR/AK pistols with braces disappear from local shops because of this news? If not could you go in to your local dealer and ask to buy an AR pistol with no brace and have it transferred to you as an AOW for $5 tax stamp fee.

Or could you buy a pistol without brace from member here and have it transferred as AOW?

Can any FFL handle AOW transfers?

Edit: I think I found the answers to my questions are all no.

Last Edited:
Very few things have flown as far under the gun radar as SBR's do. I only have three non SBR'd AR's at this point with 16 or so SBR's including other stuff and 18 silencers. i'm not worried. The NFA doesnt say anything about what you cannot do with your SBR other than you have to file a 5320.20 once a year by email to travel to another state. I can't loan it to someone else. Like I do that anyway. Major inconvenience not.. You can do a LOT more with an SBR than you can with a title one gun. A LOT more.

One more SBR to do for now as soon as I get restocked on fingerprint cards. A 10" .338 Spectre AR.

That seems like a awful lot of "infringement" - It's an affront to the notion of liberty to have to "check in" every year. The government hasn't ever given me anything, it hasn't provided for me, it didn't birth me, it didn't create me, I don't derive my rights from it. As long as my actions aren't damaging others, needing permission to do anything is anti-American.

That seems like a awful lot of "infringement" - It's an affront to the notion of liberty to have to "check in" every year. The government hasn't ever given me anything, it hasn't provided for me, it didn't birth me, it didn't create me, I don't derive my rights from it. As long as my actions aren't damaging others, needing permission to do anything is anti-American.
That sort of sentiment will get you 5 to 10.

That sort of sentiment will get you 5 to 10.

That's a big no.

E7D68F21-2402-4776-9BFF-37A4D33C0997.jpeg

Q is a different topic than the ATF making AK and AR pistols into AOWs in general.
The only thing I could also find, is that there's that pesky OAL upper limit that the ATF has documented and published as being 26" maximum. In that law group info page regarding imports and such; it seems to indicate that if its under 26", it could be considered an AOW,
Although it does raise an interesting question about US made versions.

The only thing I could also find, is that there's that pesky OAL upper limit that the ATF has documented and published as being 26" maximum. In that law group info page regarding imports and such; it seems to indicate that if its under 26", it could be considered an AOW,
Although it does raise an interesting question about US made versions.
Exactly. I wanted to turn mine into an SBR anyway but I will only do that if it comes to the point that it would be an AOW. One doesn't necessarily have a 80% to then register it...

I measured the AR pistol from muzzle brake to the end of the Buffertube and it's 26.5". So that becomes then a question of brace legality.

My 6.5 Grendel project... it measures out to about 28" with the carbine type extension tube to muzzle without brake. So it would be "not an AOW" because its over the OAL limit. but there is a good chance the ATF would just classify all AR15 lowers as "rifles" and that would turn 25+years of AR pistols made into SBRs:s0092::confused:

I think the ATF has proven they are not capable of rulings over these matters. A bunch of scatter brains. How will their ruling ultimately hold up in court based on so many changes? The ATF may have a temporary victory. I wouldn't register anything in the short term.

Exactly. I wanted to turn mine into an SBR anyway but I will only do that if it comes to the point that it would be an AOW. One doesn't necessarily have a 80% to then register it...

I measured the AR pistol from muzzle brake to the end of the Buffertube and it's 26.5". So that becomes then a question of brace legality.
I don't believe the braces themselves will be outlawed, like they did with bumpstocks. I believe their intention is to restrict the brace as a way to create a pistol. That would explain why they are looking to redefine characteristics of a pistol.

So my question is this. Where do I put my money? Do I submit a couple form 1 sbr's or do I buy parts and other stuff. I figure if I start to see confiscation happening it will be at the NFA level first. People who have suppressors and registered sbr. when that happens I can give them the receivers that I have registered. I'll have the parts if I get a future opportunity to rebuild them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top