JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably only going to be legal in the are that the 4th Circuit Court covers for now. Maryland, parts of VA. NC, SC and WVA. Will probably be stayed and appealed first

How it ever happened that 18-20 were carved out is beyond me. I wonder what the current 18-26 year olds would say about not being able to vote until 27 as it's too dangerous for them to vote when they don't have a clue what it is they're voting for.
in 1968 when the 'Gun Control Act' was passed, the age of majority was 21

Whats funny is that it more or less allowed minors to own long guns

Age of majority was lowered to 18 in 1971, I believe. The GCA was never updated or challenged

Well I respect your right to do so, although I disagree. I recently turned 21, and have been a legal handgun owner since I was 18.

I have always been responsible with my firearms, and have taught many of my peers how to safely use and handle a firearm, dispelling many of the myths they have had about them.

There are many "children" out there who are well into their thirties and forties. I would urge people to discriminate on a person to person basis, not just because of age.
I think making the judgement on a case by case basis really requires knowing the 18-21-year old very well. Far better than one usually knows someone of that age unless they are a close friend or relative. So I think this would leave most folks that age out.

What bugs me is the lack of consistency. Seems to me that the age at which someone can volunteer or be drafted to defend our country, should be the same as the age of driving, using alcohol, weed, or tobacco, or voting. Yes we know that human brains aren't fully developed until about 25. However, us oldsters know that we actually continue to change seriously every decade. And nearly all of us who are beyond 50 view our 30-year-old selves as incredibly naive and ignorant. Apparently a large number of repeat criminals "age out of it" at about 39. So neither 18 nor 21 nor 25 are really fully grown. Its just grown enough to join adult society. Not old enough to be a leader or midwife or healer. But good enough to be an entry level adult, now accorded the rights of adults, now learning on the job from other adults rather than in groups of children.

I think we are biologically ready to be adults at somewhere between 16 and 18 for most of us. And part of why the years between 16 and 18 are so painful for such "children" and their parents is that the child's social situation doesn't fit his or her biology. In a hunter gatherer society both genders would be fully competent at hunting or gathering, and would already be thinking about marriage or married already by that age. We become increasingly angry over non adult status and experience increasing drives to establish ourselves as adults at that age.

18-yo-gun-rights.jpg

And IMHO, the same goes for owning a handgun.

Aloha, Mark

in 1968 when the 'Gun Control Act' was passed, the age of majority was 21

Whats funny is that it more or less allowed minors to own long guns

Age of majority was lowered to 18 in 1971, I believe. The GCA was never updated or challenged
My understanding is that age of majority was determined by state law, not federal. And when the '68 GCA was passed, should have been challenged by that fact.

But I'm of the opinion that any law regarding firearms is an infringement on a right and therefor unlawful.... and every day wondering when "shall not be infringed" gets some traction

My understanding is that age of majority was determined by state law, not federal. And when the '68 GCA was passed, should have been challenged by that fact.

But I'm of the opinion that any law regarding firearms is an infringement on a right and therefor unlawful.... and every day wondering when "shall not be infringed" gets some traction
Yep, there is a deliberate distinction between "shall" and "may". In our case, "shall not", which somehow some folks take to be more of a guideline than an actual rule. :rolleyes: We're not an imaginary pirate ship, we're a country.

Hmm Well, r 21 and it would drive me crazy that people would cite non-existent laws as an excuse not to sell to me. I always see "must be 21" to buy, and it makes just about as much sense as "must be 37 or older to purchase."

No need to say "must be 21" to purchase handgun in Washington State. It's simply not true. Selling handguns to adults over 18 is perfectly legal for private (non-FFL) sales. This article contains official letters from the Washington State Attorney General's office and the ATF proving that purchasing a handgun from a non-FFL is not illegal for individuals aged between 18 and 20.

<broken link removed>

From the article:
(By Conner Edwards of the Freedom Foundation)

"Federal law generally prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from possessing handguns. Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 44 prohibits [gun stores] from transferring handguns, or ammunitions for handguns, to any person who the [gun store] knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is less than 21 years of Age. With respect to the transfer of firearms by a non-licensee, Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 44 prohibits a person from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a handgun, or ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun, to someone who the transferor knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is less than 18 years of age. Therefore, non-dealers may transfer handguns or handgun ammunition only to persons 18 years of age or older, while dealers may transfer those items only to persons 21 years of age or older"

This being said, you must be 21 years of age to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Here are the most applicable rules related to possession of a handgun for individuals aged between 18-20 years of age...
(RCW 9.41.240 is the guiding statute, exemptions include RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, and 9.41.060)

If you are aged between 18-20 years of age, it is legal to possess a pistol in (but not limited to) the following circumstances...

1) You are in your place of abode (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(1))

2) You are at your place of business (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(2))

3) You are on real property under your control (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(3))

4) You are engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited (pursuant to RCW 9.41.042 (2))

5) You are traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an established range or area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited. (pursuant to RCW 9.41.042 (6))

6) You have left the unloaded pistol in your locked vehicle obscured from outside view. (pursuant to RCW 9.41.050(3)(a))

7) You are engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding. (Pursuant to RCW 9.41.060(8))

8) You are carrying it unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper (pursuant to RCW 9.41.060 (9))
My sons are going to Alaska next summer.
Question can you gift a pistol to your son who 18-19 years old as a birthday present.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top