JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the matter of reciprocity for concealed carry, Washington does not recognize a Montana CPL because Montana will issue to persons 18 years and older. Washington does not. Montana figures if you're old enough to carry a gun for Uncle Sam, you can protect yourself. Washington does not.

Was a good thread when it was first started,but with WA passing 594,the sale has to go thru a ffl,which kinda make it illegal to sell anyone between 18-21 a handgun now.
Just saying,since this thread was resurrected.

Not in the State of Washington it's not you must be 21 years old to buy a hand gun
Unless they changed the in the last week .

Not sure what he had to do, but I had a friend at Ft. Lewis that moonlighted as an armed security guard at a bar. He bought his Sig .40 from his team leader and they were told everything was legit. I'm positive he was under 21.

Was a good thread when it was first started,but with WA passing 594,the sale has to go thru a ffl,which kinda make it illegal to sell anyone between 18-21 a handgun now.
Just saying,since this thread was resurrected.

SB941 screwed you youngsters in Oregon too. The only option now for a legal transfer w/o an FFL is from:

(A) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;
(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;
(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;
(D) A transferor's sibling;
(E) A transferor's grandparent;
(F) A transferor's grandchild;
(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;
(H) A transferor's first cousin;
(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or
(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

No offense, but did you bother to read the article or my post?
I won't be doing a transfer to a child under the age of 21 for a hand gun purchase, but I sure you can find one who is will to risk loosing their FFL License not me I did bother to read it and I stand with my first you can sell anything to anyone but try and find And FFL in washington to do the background check on someone under 21 for handgun sale I'm sure there are some out there not this one ,
maybe you should read the new washington law requiring BG checks on all firearm sales
just my 2 cents thanks for all you do :s0101::s0104::s0013:

I won't be doing a transfer to a child under the age of 21 for a hand gun purchase, but I sure you can find one who is will to risk loosing their FFL License not me I did bother to read it and I stand with my first you can sell anything to anyone but try and find And FFL in washington to do the background check on someone under 21 for handgun sale I'm sure there are some out there not this one ,
maybe you should read the new washington law requiring BG checks on all firearm sales
just my 2 cents thanks for all you do :s0101::s0104::s0013:
Well you did like I usually do and don't ed all the responses
And a few on here said a FFL can not sell a gun to a 18yo but a regular Joe can
BUT in WA and OR this can not be done with their new BRC laws
:s0013::s0013::s0013:

The key word being "legal".

It is by Federal law perfectly legal for a father to buy a Son a Firearm as a gift (show where it says otherwise) if the firearm is a handgun then since there is no reason under Oregons new law to involve anyone outside the family in a father to son transfer its legal. Show me where it says otherwise.

As an FFL I cannot sell or transfer an handgun or a firearm specified as "other" (lower receivers, 1911 frames etc) unless you are 21 or older. Only long guns. This is according to first hand conversation I've had with many ATF agents and investigators. I would even refuse a private sale transfer of a handgun to or from someone under 21. I realize there's a difference between owning and buying and there may be a loophole for buying but I and most dealers who wish to keep their licenses, will always err on the side of caution.

No need to say "must be 21" to purchase handgun in Washington State. It's simply not true. Selling handguns to adults over 18 is perfectly legal for private (non-FFL) sales. This article contains official letters from the Washington State Attorney General's office and the ATF proving that purchasing a handgun from a non-FFL is not illegal for individuals aged between 18 and 20.

<broken link removed>

From the article:
(By Conner Edwards of the Freedom Foundation)

"Federal law generally prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from possessing handguns. Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 44 prohibits [gun stores] from transferring handguns, or ammunitions for handguns, to any person who the [gun store] knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is less than 21 years of Age. With respect to the transfer of firearms by a non-licensee, Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 44 prohibits a person from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a handgun, or ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun, to someone who the transferor knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is less than 18 years of age. Therefore, non-dealers may transfer handguns or handgun ammunition only to persons 18 years of age or older, while dealers may transfer those items only to persons 21 years of age or older"

This being said, you must be 21 years of age to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Here are the most applicable rules related to possession of a handgun for individuals aged between 18-20 years of age...
(RCW 9.41.240 is the guiding statute, exemptions include RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, and 9.41.060)

If you are aged between 18-20 years of age, it is legal to possess a pistol in (but not limited to) the following circumstances...

1) You are in your place of abode (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(1))

2) You are at your place of business (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(2))

3) You are on real property under your control (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(3))

4) You are engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited (pursuant to RCW 9.41.042 (2))

5) You are traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an established range or area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited. (pursuant to RCW 9.41.042 (6))

6) You have left the unloaded pistol in your locked vehicle obscured from outside view. (pursuant to RCW 9.41.050(3)(a))

7) You are engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding. (Pursuant to RCW 9.41.060(8))

8) You are carrying it unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper (pursuant to RCW 9.41.060 (9))
Zac traded guns like candy he was 18,
he also like to trade around Hand guns while only 18.
here is zac now

well gee the title of the thread was It IS legal for individuals aged between 18 and 20 to purchase, own handguns, and I was making a comment as to what can happen if you do

Not sure what he had to do, but I had a friend at Ft. Lewis that moonlighted as an armed security guard at a bar. He bought his Sig .40 from his team leader and they were told everything was legit. I'm positive he was under 21.
-
IF he bought threw his employer (agency purchaser) handgun for the job . ? .. interesting
Also .. If he is current Licensed by the State for Armed Sec. (example).. Oregon DPST . Armed/unarmed . With full background check with also mandatory annual re-cert. testing to go along with the issuing of .
He was given certification with the State fully aware that he is under 21 years of age .

I really have to laugh about all this. Growing up I had access to firearms from an early age and was tough proper use and respect for firearms. I also carried pocket knives to grade school in my pockets and took them out in class to clean and manicure my fingernails. I did this to prevent myself from chewing them to the quick, and eventually taught myself not to chew them. I never once had a teacher tell me not too. Never once cut a class mate either.
I took my 22 rifles anywhere in town across my bike's handlebars and never once had a cop stop me, and went to the river bottom just outside of downtown to chase jackrabbits. I never once had to check to see if I was inside the city limits. No one got excited about kids shooting varmints or tin cans. My dad went with me to buy my first handgun as I was under 18, but once it was home it was my gun and my responsibility I was under 18 when I shot myself in the leg with it. Faulty equipment, bad fitting holster and handling error.
Never once hurt anyone or their property. Did I make some stupid mistakes, maybe once, and I've owned up to that. But was my owning and using firearms a bad thing because of my age? Not in my opinion. Remember it wasn't so awful long ago that small kids like Annie Oakley were often needed to put meat in the pot or everyone might go hungry. Age isn't the arbiter, it's maturity!
Of course our government has to step in and tell us how it is done, as though we aren't intelligent enough to make decisions on our own.
But there may be some truth in that, look who we put in the white house!
Gabby

Not a lawyer, but I don't believe that the ffl is selling to the recipient, just conducting the bg check. Since the private seller is in fact the seller, with the ffl being the facilitator due to access to the FBI, I would think the 18~21 crowd is still elligible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top