JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Subject: Private firearm sales/transfers between WA residents, with the new background check law........

OK....here is the WA State Law. It starts on page 8.

http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/FinalText_483.pdf

From my reading of it.......NW Custom Firearms is correct (for WA sales/transfers). Due to the wording in Sec 3. (3)(a). A WA FFL has to treat the transfer as if it were "....lic dealer to process the sale or transfer as if it is selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee....."

So, the FFL must defer to the Federal Law about handguns and sales/transfers.

BUT......WA also has exceptions, read the section on page 9, (4)(a), "This section does not apply to:"

Hint: I legally gave my old pistol to my 18 year old son (WA resident).

Aloha, Mark

**No comment, as to what's in the OR Law.

Last Edited:
Well I respect your right to do so, although I disagree. I recently turned 21, and have been a legal handgun owner since I was 18.

I have always been responsible with my firearms, and have taught many of my peers how to safely use and handle a firearm, dispelling many of the myths they have had about them.

There are many "children" out there who are well into their thirties and forties. I would urge people to discriminate on a person to person basis, not just because of age.

Congratulations, you are one of the exceptions. There are a certain percentage of people that just don't have the respect and discipline that it takes to own firearms. I believe the percentage of the population that can't handle it is higher in the 18-20 range. There are some perfectly mature 18-20 year olds who hunt, fish, live on their own, and have a legitimate need for a sidearm, but I would wager that there is a larger portion of the population who would be irresponsible with a firearm if they owned one. I agree with you that there are people who should never own guns into their 30's, 40's and beyond. They are the ones that shoot there kids in the face on accident, or get shot by their toddler from the backseat of their car, or wave their gun around every time they get cut off on the highway. Age based discrimination is the only option though. If you would like to see some type of personality test or fitness to carry exam it would take an act of God to get that by the politicians the NRA sponsors. That will never happen, so I'm good with an age restriction.

BillGabby1: I'm with you, although I find nothing amusing in the current restrictions. At age 12 in eastern Oregon, I was deemed sufficiently mature to possess both long guns and handguns. However, that was in 1952, long before GCA68 which took away the 2nd Amendment rights of the under-18.

Well I respect your right to do so, although I disagree. I recently turned 21, and have been a legal handgun owner since I was 18.

I have always been responsible with my firearms, and have taught many of my peers how to safely use and handle a firearm, dispelling many of the myths they have had about them.

There are many "children" out there who are well into their thirties and forties. I would urge people to discriminate on a person to person basis, not just because of age.

I fully agree.

I've taught over 100 teenagers to shoot, as well as over 7,000 adults in the last 41 years.

Most handle it very well, some should never touch a gun.

I thought this was pretty much common knowledge. Is it legal in most states to sell a gun to a person 18-20 in a private sale? Yes, it is. Would I ever do it? God, no. I am not risking my reputation on the judgement of what I consider a child. Especially the ones these days.
I have bought many firearms, none of which have I sold or given away. Everyone is a child to me until proven otherwise. In fact, your right to bear arms ends at my property line. At that point, it becomes criminal trespass, unless I allow it. My home ends at my property line; not a wall or a fence.

Otherwise, any arms anyone can carry, for me is a right to own or possess for self defense. I am assuming you cannot carry nukes, fighter jets, bombers, tanks, or battle ships. Had I my way, every citizen who was sane and crime free would be required to be trained and armed for public safety. I would not provide small arms for any military. BYOG. If you can afford a machine gun, then you have a right to one. If I have to pay to provide the military one, then I want to pay to provide every citizen one, too.

If I ever transferred to another, they would have to be a friend. That requires they would give up their life to protect me and either I have been in their home or they have been in mine.

The federal law only refers to 21 when it is various sellers and manufacturers, essentially licensed by the federal government for making or selling firearms/ammunition over State lines. It prohibits transfer to juveniles by anyone and defines a juvenile as someone under 18. Personally, at 18 I was sent a draft notice in 1969. I could have been in Saigon with a BAR at 18. Given that, I should have been qualified to carry one in Portland, Oregon. What was good for the Vietnamese was certainly good for the US.

MY MANIFESTO -:
. .
, , ; .
12 . - -.

Ask and be familiar with the commie gun laws. My friends and I have grown kids now and we raised them to shoot/fish and hunt. Gun Protection in these scary times is rampant in our country. If your minors want a gun and you agree, then they should have a gun and where they get the gun, is nobody's business. Protecting your family and ones own self are God given rights in the constitution. If something should happen to them when they are unarmed the consequences of obeying unconstitutional laws are not wort it. I lost a daughter. If she had a gun she would most probably be alive today. Is it worth endangering minors because of communist laws??

Ask and be familiar with the commie gun laws. My friends and I have grown kids now and we raised them to shoot/fish and hunt. Gun Protection in these scary times is rampant in our country. If your minors want a gun and you agree, then they should have a gun and where they get the gun, is nobody's business. Protecting your family and ones own self are God given rights in the constitution. If something should happen to them when they are unarmed the consequences of obeying unconstitutional laws are not wort it. I lost a daughter. If she had a gun she would most probably be alive today. Is it worth endangering minors because of communist laws??

So very sorry for your loss! :(

No need to say "must be 21" to purchase handgun in Washington State. It's simply not true. Selling handguns to adults over 18 is perfectly legal for private (non-FFL) sales. This article contains official letters from the Washington State Attorney General's office and the ATF proving that purchasing a handgun from a non-FFL is not illegal for individuals aged between 18 and 20.

<broken link removed>

From the article:
(By Conner Edwards of the Freedom Foundation)

"Federal law generally prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from possessing handguns. Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 44 prohibits [gun stores] from transferring handguns, or ammunitions for handguns, to any person who the [gun store] knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is less than 21 years of Age. With respect to the transfer of firearms by a non-licensee, Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 44 prohibits a person from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a handgun, or ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun, to someone who the transferor knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is less than 18 years of age. Therefore, non-dealers may transfer handguns or handgun ammunition only to persons 18 years of age or older, while dealers may transfer those items only to persons 21 years of age or older"

This being said, you must be 21 years of age to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Here are the most applicable rules related to possession of a handgun for individuals aged between 18-20 years of age...
(RCW 9.41.240 is the guiding statute, exemptions include RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, and 9.41.060)

If you are aged between 18-20 years of age, it is legal to possess a pistol in (but not limited to) the following circumstances...

1) You are in your place of abode (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(1))

2) You are at your place of business (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(2))

3) You are on real property under your control (pursuant to RCW 9.41.240(3))

4) You are engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited (pursuant to RCW 9.41.042 (2))

5) You are traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an established range or area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited. (pursuant to RCW 9.41.042 (6))

6) You have left the unloaded pistol in your locked vehicle obscured from outside view. (pursuant to RCW 9.41.050(3)(a))

7) You are engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding. (Pursuant to RCW 9.41.060(8))

8) You are carrying it unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper (pursuant to RCW 9.41.060 (9))

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you are 16, years of age a family member can ( Federally) gift/loan/ or otherwise let a minor a posses handgun .
There is no actual federal age limit for possession the of rifles by minors if authorized by parent's.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
**** Age Limits only Apply to the purchase of firearms from Federally Licensed Dealers , Not Individuals****
This is the GUN SHOW LOOP HOLE all these a-hat's keep talking about ,But not actually saying it.

**** OR EXPLAINING IT ****

It's actually up to the parents, for once.

We were all packing at 6...LOL........ Really.
We all took our .22's to school for gun safety in 2nd grade.

FYI:
We all had them by age 4, and we were taught how to be safe by our parents.
We weren't even old enough to be in school yet.

Last Edited:
Seems weird you could be sentenced as an adult for crimes, go to war and fight but dont have your constitutional rights?

Yep 18-20 still children with only partially developed brains and questionable decision making skills.I'm
I suspect you still have partially developed brains and questionable decision making skills if you think it improves with age. If your ASSumption is so, then they should not let you enlist, much less draft you for military service. Lives and millions of dollars in equipment were part of my responsibilities when I was under 20 and still a virgin in the USN. That's correct. 20 years and 20 days old. Millions of dollars in equipment and 100s of lives depending on me not to make a bad call as an NCO.

I suspect you still have partially developed brains and questionable decision making skills if you think it improves with age. If your ASSumption is so, then they should not let you enlist, much less draft you for military service. Lives and millions of dollars in equipment were part of my responsibilities when I was under 20 and still a virgin in the USN. That's correct. 20 years and 20 days old. Millions of dollars in equipment and 100s of lives depending on me not to make a bad call as an NCO.
its an established undisputed fact in neuroscience that you arent an adult until 28-30, when the prefrontal cortex firms up and ones character is brought to maturity.

till then, all of your decisions are based purely on your social scaffolding. so no - just because youre an idiot at 18 does not mean youll still be an idiot at 28.

science, bruh.. check it out sometime. cool bubblegum.

How it ever happened that 18-20 were carved out is beyond me. I wonder what the current 18-26 year olds would say about not being able to vote until 27 as it's too dangerous for them to vote when they don't have a clue what it is they're voting for.

Edit - I just realized how old this post was. Disregard.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads