JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They're going to get their firearm registry with or without Universal Background Check legislation.

From Drudge

ATF Seeks 'Massive' Database of Personal Info: 'Assets, Relatives, Associates and More' | CNS News

A recent solicitation from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) reveals that the agency is seeking a "massive" online database capable of pulling up individuals' personal information, connections and associates.

On March 28, ATF posted the notice on FedBizOpps.gov, entitled "Investigative System." The solicitation was updated on April 5 with a few minor changes.

The document says that the system will be utilized by staff "to provide rapid searches on various entities for example; names, telephone numbers, utility data and reverse phone look-ups, as a means to assist with investigations, and background research on people, assets and businesses."

The system is described as a "massive online data repository system that contains a wide variety of data sources both historically and current that can be utilized in support of investigations and backgrounds."

The overview of the solicitation states:

Staff will utilize "a number of internal databases as well as external sources to provide timely and relevant information and intelligence products to law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local levels."

The system "provides a means to rapidly check records across the country" and is "necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

The ATF says they will use this system to provide information to Intelligence Analysts, Special Agents, Inspectors, Financial Investigators and Law Enforcement.

The investigative system will allow ATF to "obtain exact matches from partial source data searches such as, incomplete social security numbers, address, VIN numbers, etc."

The system will also have the ability to "link structured and unstructured data to find connection points between two or more individuals."

The problem is, this isn't a fire arms registry, this is an EVERYTHING registry. It'll track everyone, doing anything, and their friends, relatives and any one they might email or call....scary.

Authority has always attracted the lowest elements in the human race. All through history mankind has been bullied by scum.
P. J. O'Rourke - A Parliament of Whores (1991)

Meh.. there's a lot of paranoia out there and in here. I've been through a few very intensive background checks over my life both in the past and recently for various security clearances and the like. There's not much the government doesn't already know about me and/or those I know and associate with...and I guarantee you they have kept a file of that information. They haven't used that information for any nefarious purposes. Until the day that they're kicking down doors and confiscating weapons and infringing on rights for no (in my opinion) legitimate reason, then they nor myself have anything to fear from one another.

I'll agree there have been a few things in recent history that have caused me to raise en eyebrow or two but for me there is a line that the government and it's representatives have yet to cross. Until that day, there's really not any reason to get my feathers all ruffled. I often think a number of you envision some dimly lit, smoky room where a bunch of men in suits with shaded faces are scheming and hatching some evil plans for their new world order :s0131: ...and it makes me laugh.

By all means though, don't let me stop you..it's entertaining at the very least. :s0112:

Hmm, who were the Branch Davidians bothering before the ATF raided and eventually burned them out? What laws were they breaking? They were gun enthusiasts but everything was legal. Sounds like most of us.

I'm a realist. Government is made up of people at the top with agendas, bureaucrats who want to increase their budgets and power, and low level boots on the ground. The mid and low levels will go all Quisling on us doing whatever the higher ups wish without batting an eye. Beats getting a non-government job with about half the pay, where meritocracy rules, no overly generous PERS and you can actually get fired.

I'll agree there have been a few things in recent history that have caused me to raise en eyebrow or two but for me there is a line that the government and it's representatives have yet to cross. Until that day, there's really not any reason to get my feathers all ruffled. I often think a number of you envision some dimly lit, smoky room where a bunch of men in suits with shaded faces are scheming and hatching some evil plans for their new world order :s0131: ...and it makes me laugh.

By all means though, don't let me stop you..it's entertaining at the very least. :s0112:

You must be too young to remember J Edgar and the boys...

One eye,
Ya just made J's dress twist up in his grave.......

Billy if it made ya raise an eyebrow then ya knew it was wrong.... they have been pushing the boundries over and over to see just how much we will take and how many have digressed to sheeple.

I really hate the things that have been proposed by our gooberment over the last several years aginst OUR RIGHTS by both parties and have been passed!!!!!!! I also think they need to be put back in place and realize they serve us thru the guidelines this country was founded on, not WTF they feel it should be. That dimwit slimestien must have studied a diffrent constitution then we were taught.

Hmm, who were the Branch Davidians bothering before the ATF raided and eventually burned them out? What laws were they breaking? They were gun enthusiasts but everything was legal. Sounds like most of us.

Who? How about the under aged girls David Koresh was raping? It disgusts me that anti govs act like Koresh was a saint, his own people even admitted to him doing it, he even admits to it on video, but of course you're going to tell me the men in black made it all up.

You might think it is ok to mess around with under aged girls, but being were not in the dark ages anymore, it's not okay. Nor does being a gun enthusiast make anything okay.

Yeah the government made poor choices in Waco, but David Koresh was a evil piece of crap and it was unfortunate his people were too stupid to see that. Regardless of who set the fires, his people made the stupid choice to follow him and ultimately killed themselves.

If you want to cite a government screw up at least use something genuine like Ruby Ridge.

Yes, David Koresh was a pedophile. BUT, that isn't an area that the ATF is responsible for investigating - and in fact, DPS in Texas HAD investigated it and found no credible evidence (at that time) that it was occurring. Sure, the people lied about it, but still, outside the job of the ATF. The ATF is a revenue agency (or was originally) and doesn't investigate rape, or stupid people believing in false prophets, they investigate alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives.

Meh.. there's a lot of paranoia out there and in here. I've been through a few very intensive background checks over my life both in the past and recently for various security clearances and the like. There's not much the government doesn't already know about me and/or those I know and associate with...and I guarantee you they have kept a file of that information. They haven't used that information for any nefarious purposes. Until the day that they're kicking down doors and confiscating weapons and infringing on rights for no (in my opinion) legitimate reason, then they nor myself have anything to fear from one another.

Except that you volunteered to undergo that.. we haven't, and it's an utter infringement of the 4th Amendment

Who? How about the under aged girls David Koresh was raping? It disgusts me that anti govs act like Koresh was a saint, his own people even admitted to him doing it, he even admits to it on video, but of course you're going to tell me the men in black made it all up.

You might think it is ok to mess around with under aged girls, but being were not in the dark ages anymore, it's not okay. Nor does being a gun enthusiast make anything okay.

Yeah the government made poor choices in Waco, but David Koresh was a evil piece of crap and it was unfortunate his people were too stupid to see that. Regardless of who set the fires, his people made the stupid choice to follow him and ultimately killed themselves.

If you want to cite a government screw up at least use something genuine like Ruby Ridge.

Correct me if wrong but if I heard right his younger WIVES were 13 or so.. the same age that many girls married to go west with often much older men to settle the West. If it's OK with their parents I could care less. I married my wife when she was 17 and 35 years later we are still happy together. One of the biggest problems we face as a society is busybodies who can't mind their own business

Not exactly. The Branch Davidian cult itself had a history of chaos - there were several murder trials, corpse abuse and one actual axe murder in the years leading up to the siege, plus Koresh allegedly sexually abused underage girls and committed polygamy in the process of having 14 children with different women in the cult. The ATF got involved because they were allegedly manufacturing unlicensed full auto lower receivers (at least 46 of the more than 300 firearms on the site were confirmed to have been modified). They also had 20+ unregistered suppressors. There were plenty of grounds for multiple investigations.

I've read extensively on the history of Koresh and Waco, including accounts by former insiders, and you will need to do better to convince me Koresh was just some misunderstood religious guy who liked guns. Based on his own writings, he was deeply mentally ill, a menace to those around him and ultimately a disaster waiting to happen, much like Jim Jones before him. As an example, when Koresh was 24 in 1983 he had a vision and decided he didn't like the teachings of the 70 year old church leader he was sleeping with so 'God' told him to burn her church down, which he did, after he sabotaged the water pumps at the facility. Ironically that's the same location he burned to death ten years later. Karma's a b@@ch.

The Feds supplied the powder for sure, but Koresh's fuse was burning long before they showed up.

Not exactly. The Branch Davidian cult itself had a history of chaos - there were several murder trials, corpse abuse and one actual axe murder in the years leading up to the siege, plus Koresh allegedly sexually abused underage girls and committed polygamy in the process of having 14 children with different women in the cult. The ATF got involved because they were allegedly manufacturing unlicensed full auto lower receivers (at least 46 of the more than 300 firearms on the site were confirmed to have been modified). They also had 20+ unregistered suppressors. There were plenty of grounds for multiple investigations.

I've read extensively on the history of Koresh and Waco, including accounts by former insiders, and you will need to do better to convince me Koresh was just some misunderstood religious guy who liked guns. Based on his own writings, he was deeply mentally ill, a menace to those around him and ultimately a disaster waiting to happen, much like Jim Jones before him. As an example, when Koresh was 24 in 1983 he had a vision and decided he didn't like the teachings of the 70 year old church leader he was sleeping with so 'God' told him to burn her church down, which he did, after he sabotaged the water pumps at the facility. Ironically that's the same location he burned to death ten years later. Karma's a b@@ch.

The Feds supplied the powder for sure, but Koresh's fuse was burning long before they showed up.

Maybe they were whackos but I assume any "information" being supplied post tense by government to be an outright fabrication

Regardless, nothing you have said justified the two main assaults on the group, including immolation of the women and children and 1,000 rds fired from an M60 on the first attack from a helicopter into the roof. Outright terrorist attacks via tyrannical government, when they could have easily arrested Koresh alone on one of his regular jogs. Waco was similar to the yearly IRS showboat arrests of some high profile "tax cheat".. intimidation tactics

I'd believe the .gov story about Koresh more if'n they (ATF) hadn't alerted the press beforehand, and then there's also that "It's showtime" statement....the ATF was out to make headlines that day because of a budget meeting going on in DC. They made headlines, just not the way they wanted to do.

The FBI would be more believable if they hadn't bull dozed everything immediately after the fire to prevent anyone from finding anything that didn't agree with the .gov story...

I'm not saying there was a conspiracy, but the actions of both agencies before, during and after the stand off sure lead one to that conclusion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top