JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am contemplating converting a PTR-9 to SBR.

Anybody know the best place in or near Salem to get the ATF fingerprint cards done? I would like to do the online Form 1 but I understand you still have to mail in your fingerprints.

How about an engraver near Salem? I know engravers, but I want someone who is gun friendly.

Also is there any advantage to doing a trust? I'm the only shooter in my house and our daughters have no interest in guns, so no inheritance to worry about.

Many thanks in advance

Don't Salem Police do the digital FP cards like they do here in WaCo ?
FL used to just send FP cards that you would do yourself. Easy enough if you practice.
Another thought, check with the guys at Tick Licker.

I've done more than I have fingers (and probably toes, lost count). All of them I've done the fingerprint cards myself. Some were not the best looking, and I never had an issue. I just buy the cards off Amazon in bulk. As well as the finger pad ink thing.

The first couple I would flat rate envelope with tracking. Then I just started folding them and putting them in a regular envelope with a regular stamp on it. No problems.

I see zero need for a trust. I've filed everything as an individual. Wife and kid can figure it out when I'm dead. They are always with me when I shoot the stuff anyway.

Engraver, I highly recommend laser if possible. It comes out way better looking than traditional means.

It's a lot easier process than some make it sound. Once you do the first you'll see.

I am contemplating converting a PTR-9 to SBR.

Anybody know the best place in or near Salem to get the ATF fingerprint cards done? I would like to do the online Form 1 but I understand you still have to mail in your fingerprints.

How about an engraver near Salem? I know engravers, but I want someone who is gun friendly.

Also is there any advantage to doing a trust? I'm the only shooter in my house and our daughters have no interest in guns, so no inheritance to worry about.

Many thanks in advance
Do they use fieldprint.com? My work uses their service. It's supposed to be pretty accurate and reasonably priced. They have kiosks throughout the US. It's like Livescan.

My own opinion, for what it's worth.

1. Roll your own, pretty sure the ATF would accept my dogs paw rolled. I have never had an issues. Order a kit off Amazon and save yourself time and money.

2. Get a trust. They are so inexpensive, that it really makes no sense not too. I know you said have no one interested now, but in the future with grandkids or son in law etc, having a trust makes things much smoother. If you don't have a trust family will have to file a form 5 upon their death which adds an additional layer of work. If you do it as an individual now and want to do a trust later…. Well forget about it… $200 stamp would have to be paid again.

I did mine on my kitchen counter. Super simple. I may have extra cards and an ink pad you could have. I'll just have to find them.

Some good offers above to help. Definitely try rolling your own if you can. If they push back as illegible or unreadable or the like, then go to Plan B (sheriff's office, etc) and you should be GTG.

Tip: When you do your fingerprints, go ahead and do 2-10 additional ones, don't date them and put them away safe. So the next time you file, you are already a step ahead.

Some good offers above to help. Definitely try rolling your own if you can. If they push back as illegible or unreadable or the like, then go to Plan B (sheriff's office, etc) and you should be GTG.
Tip: When you do your fingerprints, go ahead and do 2-10 additional ones, don't date them and put them away safe. So the next time you file, you are already a step ahead.
It says you have 10 days to submit prints after e-filing Form 1.. if they reject your home rolled prints, do they refund the $200 and make you refill Form 1?

BTW there must be massive traffic on that e-form 'site because it's running about as slow as a 1984 Apple IIc.

It says you have 10 days to submit prints after e-filing Form 1.. if they reject your home rolled prints, do they refund the $200 and make you refill Form 1?

BTW there must be massive traffic on that e-form 'site because it's running about as slow as a 1984 Apple IIc.
The site has always been a sloth ridden mess. Fairly certain it's on purpose.

They usually only refund if you have been denied. If there is anything wrong with your prints, they will notify you of the mistake. It would take an obvious error for that to occur.

I ordered a dozen cards from ATF online. Arrived a week or so later.

The LEE fingerprint ink pad works well. Key is to press lightly on the pad. May not look like there's ink on your finger, but there is.

I tested on printer paper a few times because rolling my print took some practice. Great if you can get someone to help roll.

It's been a while since I had them deny my fingerprint cards, but they take 90 days to refund your money if they do deny it.

I've found for me that I can only do cards through local sheriff because most of my prints are difficult or non-existent. But not everyone has that problem, and lucky to those that don't.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top