JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is the gist I got from the checklist. And notch sights on a rifle don't make them pistol sights.
Yep - the entire standard 10/22 rifle line up comes with notched sights. In fact, growing up shooting I didn't know aperture sights were even a thing because I had only used 10/22 and other notched sight rifles.

Last year I met with a person from C/L to sell some 22-250 brass, we entered into a discussion of political interest of another initiative for an AWB. He said he didn't care about those semi automatic rifles because he could reach out to 500 yards with his bolt action rifle if needed.

I walked away from that sale because of that comment and I let him know why. Stupid people win stupid prizes.
I am almost as fed up with the "it doesn't affect me" crowd as I am with the "you're just trying to skirt the law" crowd. Attacks on the Constitution affect everyone, and exercising your rights is not skirting the law. If people don't get off their duffs soon, eventually everything will be illegal. The ignorant ones don't seem to realize that intentional vagaries of this proposed rule change reach far beyond pistol braces. It sets dangerous precedence on regulating thought and intent. And like the previous proposed rules on incomplete lowers, it attempts redefine and steal authority to regulate parts and accessories as NFA GCA items. If he doesn't pull his head out, Mr. "500 yards" (and ones like him) is going to be sorely disappointed when the ATF starts coming after his 22-250 because they feel they need to regulate "deadly sniper-type rifles"... and they start looking at magnified optics, barrel length, triggers, etc... as determining factors of intent to build a sniper rifle.

Attacks on the Constitution affect everyone, and exercising your rights is not skirting the law. If people don't get off their duffs soon, eventually everything will be illegal.
I don't disagree with most of that, but braces are a way, for the most part, to skirt what should be an illegal law. Both the NFA and the GCA are garbage IMO. There should be no such thing as a background check and we should still be able to mail order guns to our doors.

I don't disagree with most of that, but braces are a way, for the most part, to skirt what should be an illegal law. Both the NFA and the GCA are garbage IMO. There should be no such thing as a background check and we should still be able to mail order guns to our doors.
As the constitution intended

As stupid as it is but the sights are a very easy fix if that were to pass. Just grind off the top portion of the aperture and you have an open 'U-shaped' notch. Voila, pistol sights lol

Or bore it out for ghost ring duty - I've seen that for Glocks.
Yes, ghost rings are one of my favorites, whether it is a long gun or a handgun - the difference between a ghost ring and aperture is simply one of size, and almost any ghost ring is still an aperture sight with a really large aperture - same principle. I had a Marlin .22 bolt action that had a missing rear sight, so my grandfather made an aperture sight for it - you could unscrew the brass aperture insert and it would be a ghost ring.

Yep - the entire standard 10/22 rifle line up comes with notched sights. In fact, growing up shooting I didn't know aperture sights were even a thing because I had only used 10/22 and other notched sight rifles.
👍

My grandfather introduced me to them - I fell in love with them.

Lever actions, many bolt actions, and semis, have open notch sights from the factory. Of course, so do most handguns.

But an AR with an adjustable aperture sight, whether it is a rifle or "pistol" could be argued to have "rifle sights". It is a poor and rather subjective criteria though. Now a scope or other optic with less than 6" of eye relief? That is unlikely to be found on a handgun which are generally meant to be held at arms length when using the sights. The solution to that is a handgun scope with 12"+ eye relief mounted in the scout scope position.

Agreed. GCA and NFA are garbage.
It is sad that people have to innovate in order to be free. The problem is that braces have been legal for 8+ years, so it is hard to agree that a legal item, purchased legally, is now illegal because of perceived intent. Just like purchasing a legal speedboat in Florida doesn't mean you are a drug runner just because a bureaucrat at the DEA claims that owning a fast boat is an indicator of intent to smuggle drugs. It's the reason precedence is dangerous. We didn't call ATF on the carpet for past rulings that were based solely on their perceived intent. So they remain empowered to do the same thing again and again. And here we are...

What about the MP5. Its literally means Machine Pistol. Its a pistol. Has aperture sights and a stock. The definitions of certain firearms are completely whack anyway. Its either a pistol or a rifle, away with this SBR stuff and whatnot.

Any sight you need to get your eye close to for it to work would make sense as a 'rifle sight' really I guess.
none of this makes sense, so thats not how that works.
tyranny pain and simple.
peoples response to these changes should be to disband the BATFE. whats next they go after the bumpstocks again?

What about the MP5. Its literally means Machine Pistol. Its a pistol. Has aperture sights and a stock. The definitions of certain firearms are completely whack anyway. Its either a pistol or a rifle, away with this SBR stuff and whatnot.
Indeed :rolleyes: you can thank the NFA34 for the arbritary definations.

A rifle
A carbine
A musket
A shotgun
A pistol/handgun
A machine gun
A cannon
A howitzer
A mortar

There should be no further definition/splitting/taxation/prohibition on any of these arms

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top