JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ATF Announces Crackdown on Gun Smuggling

Teams in 7 cities formed to stop gun smuggling

Updated: Friday, 17 Sep 2010, 4:28 PM MDT
Published : Friday, 17 Sep 2010, 4:28 PM MDT

PHOENIX - A federal agency trying to stop guns from being smuggled from the United States into Mexico for use by drug cartels has formed teams in seven American cities to combat the problem.

The teams set up by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are a follow-up to earlier temporary groups of investigators who worked in Houston and Arizona and seized about
2,000 guns.

The permanent 10-member teams will be based in two cities in the border region -- in Brownsville, Texas, and Sierra Vista, Ariz. -- and away from the border where smugglers have set up trafficking
routes and recruit gun buyers in Dallas, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Atlanta and Miami.

"We can't put all of our resources in one point, because what we learned from other agencies is that if you put all resources to go after illegal activity in one point, guess what? It goes some place else," said Kenneth Melson, ATF's deputy director.

Many guns used by criminals in the Mexican government's war against drug cartels are bought in the United States, the bureau says. Cartels recruit "straw buyers" in the United States who make purchases on their behalf and then pay people to bring the weapons across the border.

Agents on the teams will inspect records at firearms shops, investigate suspicious purchases and use traces from guns recovered in Mexico to track down straw buyers.

Melson said a team will be based in the southern Arizona city of Sierra Vista because the Sinaloa drug cartel uses the area as a transit route.

Dennis Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona, said his state has become the gun locker for the cartels and warned of the serious consequences for people who buy guns on behalf of cartel members.

"For a lot of these straw purchasers, they don't think it's a big deal," Burke said. "They think it's like buying beer for an underaged kid, but it's not. It's an offense that violates federal law, and it's leading to deadly consequences in Mexico."

Melson said the teams that operated in Houston for 120 days in 2009 and in Arizona and New Mexico for a similar length of time ending on Aug. 6 helped make a dent in the problem.

But how big of an impact is unknown. The agency said it's difficult to say how many guns from America are sneaked into Mexico.

ATF said Texas and Arizona are the two largest sources of guns that were seized in Mexico and had complete traces run on them. Not all seized guns in Mexico are traced.

Of the 2,000 guns seized by both temporary teams, two-thirds were in Arizona. None were seized by the temporary team that worked in New Mexico, where investigators focused on inspecting records at gun stores.

The new teams were funded by the $37 million that ATF recently received from Congress for combating gun smuggling along the southern border.

try at reinstating the Clinton gun ban!

"Find" a bunch of guns being smuggled to prove a point that doesn't exist. Less than 17% of the guns actually seized in Mexico come from the US and can be traced.

Now thay have an "official" task force that can cook up their own statistics to "prove" what real figures can't!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

So drug cartels that own their own military's, submarines, aircraft and have the politicians paid off and in their pockets, have to smuggle firearms from the US? I smell BULL S^%T.

That's a good one. Got any more good jokes?

Too bad it isn't a joke, they'll (respective gov't agency and most news agencies) just manufacture data, and just blast it over and over on the "news" until it seems like the truth.

People may or may not buy it, but, so long as there's plenty of "reports" out there, our rulers eager to respond to the "demands" of the people will suspend more of our rights.

/rant mode off.

Last Edited:
Too bad it isn't a joke, they'll (respective gov't agency and most news agencies) just manufacture data, and just blast it over and over on the "news" until it seems like the truth.

People may or may not buy it, but, so long as there's plenty of "reports" out there, our rulers eager to respond to the "demands" of the people will suspend more of our rights.

/rant mode off.

BINGO!........Clinton did it! It is called mass phycology. You tell a big enough lie, enough times, people will begin to believe that lie. "Well I heard it on the news so it must be true". I can think of 2 situations where Clinton did this. It involes guns and drugs so I hope this is kinda still OT. #1. The military definition of "Assault Rifle". Medium caliber infantry rifle with capability of selective fire. A semi auto AK-47 you buy at the gun store does not fall under that definition. But it is true that I can assault you with a .22lr. My point is, The news media pounded down our throats for so long the Tyrone was busted with a AK-47 assault rifle that the masses started calling a semi AK an assult weapon. It spread like Colara from there. Look where we are today. You can't even sell a M4 stock on Ebay if you list AR-15. Because that throws up a red flag on there list of buzz words. AR-15 is on there list as an "assault rifle". WTF? #2. Back in the mid 80's I had an imeadiate family member fall into the Coacane pit. This was left from the late 70's when Coke came on the scene. This family memeber would do something with the powder that came in the little folded packets that would bring the Coke to it's purist form. When that happened it would draw together and become a rock. Then it would be smoked in a pipe. This is called "Free basing". Unlike the other methods like snorting Coke. About 1983 something came along called "Crack". Unlike Coke, it already came in a rock form. Not powder. It was a different color also. Coke is a briliant white that kinda sparkles. This new Crack was more yellow and did not sparkle. Crack and Coke both have anphetomene properties but are not the same thing. Coke is extracted from the Coaca plant that is grown at an altitude higher than 3,000ft. It will not grow at lower elevations. Crack on the other hand is a synthetic man made concauction that has the same molecular structure as Coke but some of the elements have been changed. Thus Crack and Coacane ARE NOT THE SAME DRUG. But everytime you here of somebody getting busted with possesion, it is ALWAYS in one phrase, "Crack coacane". That is a oxy moron because they are not the same. So years of the news media pounding this phrase down our thoughts. Even when you try to Wikapsia this, it comes up together as the same drug. Even the Internet is a source of mass phycology. I swear on my mothers grave stone that Crack and Coke are not the same drug. The close family member that this happened to was my 5 year younger sister. It took us 10 years to get her out of that pit. Now we are both in our 40's and she looks older than I do. What a shame. But She has a family with 3 kids and has been sober for 20 years.

Wow, That is by far my longest post yet. My figers hurt.

That's a good one. Got any more good jokes?

I have one more for ya.
I was watching Fox news when this story first broke. They had a DEA and ATF agent standing at a table with "Confiscated Weapons". The only problem was that the 50 BMG, the 30 cal 1919A4, and various "Assualt Rifles :s0129: " looked like they were brand new. Perfect parkerizing and finishes on all of them.
I would also like to know the actual source, the "Point of Sale" on these full automatic weapons. Most everyone here knows the paper trail with class three weapons, lets see their data on this before they try and sell me this story. ERRRRRRRGGHHH.

I have one more for ya.
I was watching Fox news when this story first broke. They had a DEA and ATF agent standing at a table with "Confiscated Weapons". The only problem was that the 50 BMG, the 30 cal 1919A4, and various "Assualt Rifles :s0129: " looked like they were brand new. Perfect parkerizing and finishes on all of them.
I would also like to know the actual source, the "Point of Sale" on these full automatic weapons. Most everyone here knows the paper trail with class three weapons, lets see their data on this before they try and sell me this story. ERRRRRRRGGHHH.

They didn't say they were acquired through the gunshow loophole? They must need to hit the refresher class in rhetoric.

That really helps that poor guy in TX that sold to an illegal who produced a valid TX drivers license and then handed the gun to his other illegal buddy. Instead of going after the illegals, they went after the seller.

ATF window dressing...

This is why I can't watch the news anymore ,I can't stand to be lied to.How much smoke and mirrors and mis-direction are we supposed to swallow.If you wanted to stop something ,stop the crap crossing the border going north.If you live in Mexico ,and have the kind of drug money thay have you could make your own firearms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top