JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always thought it peculiar that the lower is the serialized part on an AR, but the upper on a Ruger Mark series pistol is the serialized part. Never made any sense to me. When you think about it the design/function of both guns is pretty identical. Both the uppers support the barrel and bolt, and both the lowers house the fire control groups and magazines..... But on one of the guns the upper is the serialized part (Ruger) and the other one has the lower as the serialized part (AR).

Makes no sense to me.

I think in that case, the Ruger is oddity. Most pistols have the grip/frame as the serialized part, not the slide. For instance, the Browning buckmark has the grip being the serialized part.

Most guns have the part that retain the barrel being the serialized part. There are very few exceptions. If the ATF had to do it all over again they wouldnt have done it that way. Even guns that are extremely similar have the upper being the serialized part.

Not true so much on semi auto handguns.

Glock, Sig, HK, Ruger (except Mark series), Smith & Wesson, in fact most that I can think of all have the serial number on the lower part of the gun, and not the part that retains the barrel.

How can you possibly buy or bring illegal fireworks into Hawaii??? :confused:

Exactly. How does an island 3000 miles away from anywhere manage to get shipping crates full of millions of dollars worth of illegal fireworks here and distribute them to almost everyone? My neighborhood wasnt this bad but they were all here too

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers. "

The state government is trying to make them more illegal. Brilliant!

Not true so much on semi auto handguns.

Glock, Sig, HK, Ruger (except Mark series), Smith & Wesson, in fact most that I can think of all have the serial number on the lower part of the gun, and not the part that retains the barrel.
The barrel is not actually attached to the upper in those. It slides in the lower by way of the upper. In guns where the barrel is actually threaded in or otherwise attached to a upper 97% of the time its the part where the barrel is attached to that is the "receiver" .

I think in that case, the Ruger is oddity. Most pistols have the grip/frame as the serialized part, not the slide. For instance, the Browning buckmark has the grip being the serialized part.

It is odd about the Ruger Marks, that gun kinda shares the oddity with the AR's but in the opposite direction.

What other semi auto RIFLES (not pistols) share the design feature of the AR's (an upper and lower half) that have the serial number on the upper half instead of the lower half?

The barrel is not actually attached to the upper in those. It slides in the upper by way of the lower.

The barrel is supported and contained within the upper (slide). The entire upper assembly (slide, barrel, etc..) is retained onto the lower. The rear breach end of the barrel interlocks with the lower. So you theorize that since the barrel locks into the lower, that is what makes the lower the firearm?

Trying to understand what you are saying, I apologize, it has been a long mentally taxing day.

The barrel is supported and contained within the upper (slide). The entire upper assembly (slide, barrel, etc..) is retained onto the lower. The rear breach end of the barrel interlocks with the lower. So you theorize that since the barrel locks into the lower, that is what makes the lower the firearm?

Trying to understand what you are saying, I apologize, it has been a long mentally taxing day.
The barrel is not threaded ( or pressed ) into the frame in browning action guns. It floats but the lower is still the receiver. If it were actually part of the upper that would be the serialized receiver. Look at guns like the HK P7 or the Luger where the barrel is "part" of the lower. The Ruger Mark series has the barrel as part of the upper but it is really an exception due to its split nature.

The barrel is not threaded ( or pressed ) into the frame in browning action guns. It floats but the lower is still the receiver. If it were actually part of the upper that would be the serialized receiver. Look at guns like the HK P7 or the Luger where the barrel is "part" of the lower. The Ruger Mark series has the barrel as part of the upper but it is really an exception due to its split nature.

Browning action pistols the barrel "locks" into the slide via lugs or ejection port/barrel interface therefore the slide would support the barrel. I get that the HK P7, Luger, and quite a few Walther pistols the barrel is fixed and attached to the lower frame. So by your reasoning that the serialized part is the one that retains the barrel does not really hold true with most of the browning design pistols.

I think I have convinced myself that the BATFE is in fact utterly useless and makes no sense at all.

Browning action pistols the barrel "locks" into the slide via lugs or ejection port/barrel interface therefore the slide would support the barrel. I get that the HK P7, Luger, and quite a few Walther pistols the barrel is fixed and attached to the lower frame. So by your reasoning that the serialized part is the one that retains the barrel does not really hold true with most of the browning design pistols.

I think I have convinced myself that the BATFE is in fact utterly useless and makes no sense at all.
The upper does not actually retain the barrel in Browningg action pistols. The lower retains the upper and the barrel. The barrel simply floats.

Last Edited:
Already has, all I could find withing reason the other day was a .458 socom stripped upper. I would also add that in some european countries, the controlled part is the bolt.
The bolt and the barrel and the part that retains the barrel. The lower WAS in most of those countries unregulated. That changed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top