JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My grandson asked the other day, "When can I carry a handgun in the woods?" This set me to thinking. I told him that it's legal for him to own one at 18, but I couldn't think where I'd ever seen anything approaching a proper answer.
I believe the first time I strapped on the Ruger 22's holster I was in high school. Been open carrying in the woods since then.
Anybody have any real knowledge on this subject?

Open, where legal, 18
Conealed, 21
18 is the age to own, same as a rifle. (This in itself could be sticky, given the required background checks) Can you site a source? I ask because using the same logic a kid can't carry a rifle until 18, and we know that's not the case.
Not looking for a fight, looking for answers.

My gut feeling is that if under the supervision of an adult or if in possession of a Hunter Safety card, a minor can carry, unless using the firearm in an unsafe or illegal manner. However I have no verification. I feel that I am logical. Laws aren't always logical.

The highlighted section may be the ticket to get around the 18 yoa requirement:

Minors may:
  • ...possess a firearm other than a handgun if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent. ORS 166.250(2)(a)(A)
  • ...not possess a firearm if they are under 18 years of age, and while a minor, committed the equivalent of an adult felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, within four years of being charged with possession. ORS 166.250(1)(c)
  • ...may also possess any firearm temporarily for hunting, target practice, or any other lawful purpose. ORS 166.250(2)(a)(B) ( and ORS 166.470(3)(b); see above)
I guess if your son is asking to carry while you two are out together it seems like it's fine, but if he wants to go out by himself, then it gets a little murky. I'm no lawyer, but if its your handgun and you willingly let your son temporarily possess it, seems like it meets this section. YMMV....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top