JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...for 60-90 seconds, what seem to be two different small caliber arms shooting. And shooting. Suburban Brady-Bunch land Portland -between MT. Scott and Happy Valley.

Slow succession of 15-18 total rounds in handgun semi-auto bursts of 2-3. Ending with a "tripple" quick succession what sounds like 9mm, .40 cal or something similar from a range of maybee 200 yards (1 block up the hill).

No immediate threat to you as far as you can tell.

...2-3 reports from 12g shotgun or possibly 20g. Could be fireworks but if they are they are the big mortand kind, and with strage timing. It's say, October.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? HOME ALONE NO KIDS IN THE HOUSE.

I would arm myself, double-check to make sure all doors are locked, and then call 911. Let the police deal with it as they see fit.

If some idiot is target practicing indside of city limits, he needs to go to jail. If its outside city limits, on private property and being done safely, then no harm no foul.

TV out, lights out (so I can look outside without being silhouetted) check door, call 5-0's.

If kids and wife were home:
(same thing PLUS)
Put them on the floor on opposite side of house till response is met.

Reason for looking outside while on the phone with dispatch is to see if perps run by if there was a shooting to give direction of travel.

Not trying to diminish the original post, but...

That would probably be some police agency doing drills at ARPC. My house faces the range, apx two miles as the crow flies. The sound of freedom!

Ya oughta hear it during the automatic shoot in May!

I used to live in the not so nicest part of town. I would hear 4-5 pops every once in a while. I'd just make sure my gun was on me and go about my business, I was usually watching TV at the time since it would always happen late at night. I did keep an eye out though.

Um... call the police... thinking that's probably the best thing.

Why, were you thinking "air strike" or something?

Maybe jump into your black ninja suit and plate carrier from the mall security detachment, lock-and-load the SKS and prepare to kick ***!

Gunshot sound is distinctive from fireworks, with that said my decision would be to dial 911 and report my location and that I was certain I heard firearm(s) being discharged. No need to arm myself as I am always armed. If I was not sure if the sound was firearms being discharges I would simply move to the second floor and look out the window from a room w/o any lights on.

I use to date a woman out in a rural area outside of Dallas where you could hear firearms being discharged on a nighly basis where if I did not hear gunshots it would be strange.

...for 60-90 seconds, what seem to be two different small caliber arms shooting. And shooting. Suburban Brady-Bunch land Portland -between MT. Scott and Happy Valley.

Slow succession of 15-18 total rounds in handgun semi-auto bursts of 2-3. Ending with a "tripple" quick succession what sounds like 9mm, .40 cal or something similar from a range of maybee 200 yards (1 block up the hill).

...2-3 reports from 12g shotgun or possibly 20g. Could be fireworks but if they are they are the big mortand kind, and with strage timing. It's say, October.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? HOME ALONE NO KIDS IN THE HOUSE.

Welcome to life in the hood, I live in N Portland and literally hear gun shots every week, full auto fire is rare but I have heard it, many times I've heard gun shots with two distinct gun sounds.

And I know these are not fireworks. I have years of experience with fireworks :D

DSCN0235.jpg

eriknemily had it right. (both of them if emily had any input).

In the pioneer days, during settlement of the frontier it was said that if you heard a shot in the valley, it was time to move on.

For eriknemily in dairy country, and where I live, the reverse is actually true:

If you don't hear a shot in the valley, its time to move on.

Let's put this in perspective: Do a statistical analysis in your town/neighborhood: how many cars run into houses? This figure I believe can be easily obtained with some careful research. I believe it is a tangible number, and at a rare but measurable rate.

Now: how many bullets run into houses in the same area? I believe this is not easily obtained, and is not a tangible number or a measurable rate.

I think it is not necessary to compare the relative danger of a bullet striking a house to the relative danger of an automobile striking a house. Even if bullets were striking houses in your neighborhood at a rate that was measurable and tangible and perhaps comparable to the rate of auto collisions with houses, I am certain the injury rate to human beings could never compare.

What you experienced were noises. Do not indoctrinate your family to fear noises.

And if you are like eriknemilynme, you consider the noises you described to be a comforting sound of freedom and happiness, and what is right.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top